TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
His end to end rushes always lead to two results;`

1. He passes it to the winger rushing in with him.
2. He takes it deep into the corner and either dishes it around the net to the winger or circles around and back to the point.

You're wrong. Simple as that. 2-3 years ago, you'd be right. This year, not a chance.
This.

A couple of years ago we'd see it more. He's come a long way over the past few years. The guy is one of the best in the league at gaining the zone and setting up. We haven't had a guy like this in a long time... hell Chris Chelios didn't do this.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Wtf is that proposition? Do something for the community and delete your account.

A trade with Oilers gotta inbolved one of RNH, Hall, Yakupov. A 1st and a A grade prospect.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
«La beauté de notre pays, c’est que nous avons une abondance de bons joueurs. Si tu prends Subban, tu gagnes l’or.»

If Yzerman don't take PK and lose the gold medal......

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Don't know why there's so much discussion of PK sticking up for Markov. I think that's one event that we should all agree was perfectly acceptable given that elbow Markov had to eat, and I think there's too much attempted reading into Therrien's words. It was his play with the puck (both decision-making and execution) that was most disappointing to me, honestly.

It's not reading into Therrien's words....it's hearing Therrien's words after his other words....and his other words....and his other words etc. Therrien's way of trying to keep PK humble is just plain dumb. Any sane coach would have a statement for the media and one in private. Pretty sure that we don't know what every coach are REALLY thinking as far as his players are all about. So it's either Therrien is NEVER hiding anything and just tell the press exactly how it is in private or either....it's much worst. Therrien has all the trouble to give credit to Subban but can do it for everybody else. It's beginning to be quite stupid and frankly, it's beginning to be a distraction. Everyboyd keeps wanting to know what Therrien is all about....Therrien has to defend himself....Subban has to respond....I mean, for some Subban is a distraction and yet, Therrien keeps adding fuel to it...How intelligent is that?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
«La beauté de notre pays, c’est que nous avons une abondance de bons joueurs. Si tu prends Subban, tu gagnes l’or.»

If Yzerman don't take PK and lose the gold medal......

That's EXACTLY what this statement does.....Wow. Can't wait as I'm absolutely sure he's not going to go now. I think that Patrick Traverse and Robert Dirk are ahead of PK at this point...:sarcasm:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's not reading into Therrien's words....it's hearing Therrien's words after his other words....and his other words....and his other words etc. Therrien's way of trying to keep PK humble is just plain dumb. Any sane coach would have a statement for the media and one in private. Pretty sure that we don't know what every coach are REALLY thinking as far as his players are all about. So it's either Therrien is NEVER hiding anything and just tell the press exactly how it is in private or either....it's much worst. Therrien has all the trouble to give credit to Subban but can do it for everybody else. It's beginning to be quite stupid and frankly, it's beginning to be a distraction. Everyboyd keeps wanting to know what Therrien is all about....Therrien has to defend himself....Subban has to respond....I mean, for some Subban is a distraction and yet, Therrien keeps adding fuel to it...How intelligent is that?
MT is an idiot, plain and simple...I have now accepted this, and all is good...PK will be getting an 8 yr extension, and MT, well, not so much...

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
That was a bad game from PK plain and simple. Pretty much shift after shift it was some detail or another.

I agree, still better than other habs d, but bad for his standards.

I don't mind him going after Brouwer here, but it would have been nice for him to be available for the ensuing pp's. I'd prefer if he hadn't and there was someone else on the ice to take care of it, but as long as it's a one off event that doesn't happen often, it's fine.

I think it shows how much Respect PK has for Markov and how much respect Markov gets from his teammates in general. He needs to be locked up and retire a hab imo.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
On 24CH last year after Prust fought Lucic his inbetween period speech consisted of a lot of swearing saying that if what Prusty just did for you guys doesn't motivate you, you don't believe to be playing the game. Something like this, but he definitely recognizes guys that stand up for their teammates.

Thanks for the reply.

That was pretty crappy on his part for not speaking up about Subban then.

Therrien...........

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I believe PK will be part of team Canada. He can be a game breaker and when you play a short tournament you need guys like him. I think some of this media pressure has helped team Canada brass see how PK has handled himself. He is a team player as we seen last night with the fight and with all the media bull going on he still has been producing....to me a big factor if your going to play for team Canada at the Olympics where all eyes are on you.

Plain and simple PK is a winner!

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Subban standing up for Markov was great to see, and reflects well on Subban being a stand-up team-guy.

However, as a coach, you have to think about the trade-off in any fight. If Subban was fighting Ovie or Backstrom or maybe even Carlson, then fine, it's a trade-off you can live with. But Subban-for-Brower is a trade-off that Washington wins decisively.

This is why you want your top guys to fight very sparingly, and ideally against other top guys.

There's no question that Subban should be on Team Canada. Over this season and the last, combined, he's been the most productive Canadian-born DMan in the NHL, and it's not even close at this point. Leaving off your best offensive DMan when he's also good in his own end (and willing to stand up for guys as he showed last night) is just crazy. If he loses out to Dan Boyle, that'll make Zamuner over Recchi look mild in comparison...

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Who said this?

It was Gretzky. But to clarify, he said that Canada is so strong that if you take Subban, you can win gold, but if you take someone else instead, you can still win gold. He gave a 100% diplomatic answer that couldn't/shouldn't be construed one way or the other.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I agree, it seems Therrien has a very tough time giving PK any compliment. It's just very bizarre now. Like, seriously, what's the deal here...

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
His end to end rushes always lead to two results;`

1. He passes it to the winger rushing in with him.
2. He takes it deep into the corner and either dishes it around the net to the winger or circles around and back to the point.

You're wrong. Simple as that. 2-3 years ago, you'd be right. This year, not a chance.

I guess you didnt see the game last night. He made 2 turn overs off of his rushes, one of which led to a break away.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Subban standing up for Markov was great to see, and reflects well on Subban being a stand-up team-guy.

However, as a coach, you have to think about the trade-off in any fight. If Subban was fighting Ovie or Backstrom or maybe even Carlson, then fine, it's a trade-off you can live with. But Subban-for-Brower is a trade-off that Washington wins decisively.

This is why you want your top guys to fight very sparingly, and ideally against other top guys.

Last year, Chara hunted down Emelin and fought him in defense of Seguin. Chara took about 17 minutes in penalties and while he was off Montreal scored a couple of goals and won the game. Bruin reaction:

"Zdeno did what he had to do," Julien said. "When a guy cross checks one of your good players in the ribs and breaks his stick, and if the referees aren't going to call it, then we've got to do what we've got to do here. That's what [Chara] did and I support that. It's a teammate protecting a teammate.

"[Seguin] was one of our good players tonight too, so we're a team that reacts to those kinds of things, and when people take liberties on our good players, we go to their defense."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/9011737/zdeno-chara-draws-no-ire-boston-bruins-retaliation-penalties

And that was in a game that the Bruins lost in large part to Chara's actions, but it was viewed as a lose-the-battle-win-the-war deal for the B's.

Sure, PK vs. Brouwer is a tradeoff the Caps will take every time but in a regular season game in November I think I can give PK a pass for dropping the gloves to defend a teammate. As to Therrien, the comments on RDS weren't as bad as I had expected but would it kill him to just even say the stock lines and be supportive? "PK's more important to us on the ice than in the box but I like that he stood up for his teammate. The guys in the room all appreciate that."

WG

Sep 9, 2008
To Oilers: Subban + Blunden + 7th round 2014 + 5th round 2015+ 6th Round 2016

To Montreal: David Perron + Ryan Smith + 5th round 2015

Take out the 6th rounder.

And Subban.

That's a bit closer.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
And handedly outplayed "the competition" in Kris Letang.

There is NO comparison, Subban is a vastly more versatile defenseman.

Letang was almost invisible. I watched the Pens telecast and I mostly heard about him during the intermissions about his work out regime and his intermission interview. He didn't really make an impact.

G A +/- S TOI
PK Subban 0 1 1 3 25:20
Letang 0 0 -2 2 24:17

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
"Zdeno did what he had to do," Julien said. "When a guy cross checks one of your good players in the ribs and breaks his stick, and if the referees aren't going to call it, then we've got to do what we've got to do here. That's what [Chara] did and I support that. It's a teammate protecting a teammate.

But that's Julien. And we have Therrien. 2 different beasts. I mean, Julien even protected Ference in the infamous glove incident....So Julien goes to bat no matter what. Therrien is "selective"....

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
This past week, my Montreal-based colleague Sean Gordon asked Subban about the perception that he was on the outside looking in for the Olympic team – and he had an interesting answer to him. Subban said that spending time working for Sportsnet during the last lockout taught him that you can basically say anything on television, so why worry about what anyone says? Touché.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor.../article15483680/?page=all#dashboard/follows/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad