Speculation: Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
kings won with a 7 mil doughty and the hawks are a contender and won with a keith and seabrook tandem that costs a lot..boston won with a 6-7 mill chara...he can get his 7 mil... i have no problem with that...hes on par with them asof this season..minus the cup obviously

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I look at it as we get 10 years of Subban instead of 8. The cap will be up again by the time Subban's next contract kicks in(since caps only dropping one year), we really needed the cap flexibility this summer that a short term deal provides. It also provides further cap flexibility when Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu come off of their ELCs and also take bridge deals.

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
No, no. The bridge contract MADE subban the player he is right now. You just don't understand.

Someone with some sense. :handclap:

Besides, why would you want to get away with a bargain for Subban anyway?! It's such a crooked mindset.

How can people say that the bridge contract was a mistake is beyond me. Bergevin put Subban into his place saying he's not more important than the team and then when Subban came back he had a perfect attitude, always talking of the team instead of himself, being very commited to play the system and had a monster season to prove he is worth what he was asking for. And we got a bargain for this year and next.

Tell me how this is different from what Bergevins envisioned when he gave him a bridge contract. What was he hoping for? That Subban sucked this year so he can then sign him for 3 mil per for 6 years???

Yeah maybe Myers was overated and Subban is much better. Bergevin just wanted to be sure of this and of Subban's attitude before he gave him this contract. Now you sign him for 6 or 7 million per who cares, now YOU KNOW he's worth it.

Couldn't have said it better.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
How can people say that the bridge contract was a mistake is beyond me. Bergevin put Subban into his place saying he's not more important than the team and then when Subban came back he had a perfect attitude, always talking of the team instead of himself, being very commited to play the system and had a monster season to prove he is worth what he was asking for. And we got a bargain for this year and next.

Tell me how this is different from what Bergevins envisioned when he gave him a bridge contract. What was he hoping for? That Subban sucked this year so he can then sign him for 3 mil per for 6 years???

Yeah maybe Myers was overated and Subban is much better. Bergevin just wanted to be sure of this and of Subban's attitude before he gave him this contract. Now you sign him for 6 or 7 million per who cares, now YOU KNOW he's worth it.

Too many armchair GMs in here.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
show-me-the-money-2-o.gif

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
You people who think that some negotiations is the reason for subbans success are seriously undermining sub an as a person. Guy grew up in what seems to be a good family, and rather give his parents and subban Himself credit for spectacular season. No doubt in my mind that pk would had same success with a bigger contract. Guy is work beast, wants to play, is a genuinely good person and and has elite talent. No rookie GM has that much influence over such a player.
And an ways pk took over top d man spot as soon as he stepped on the ice and never looked back. Honest mistake for PK to think he already deserved top d man money, since he was, is and will be a top d man for long time. Miscue by MB. Will cost him additional 2-3 mil in cap over next 5 years. Which is his job, much more then motivating players through contract negotiations.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Next negotiations will basically be subban getting whatever he wants.
MB has absolutely no negotiation power over his next contract.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
agent probably aware that only 4 D are making over 7 Mil, and that Cap is going down next season :nod:

If this season is any indication , the superstars ( Getzlaf-Perry) are still gonna get the money, it's gonna be the middle classe citizens of the nhl who are/should/would get the grunt of that cap going down.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Easy to say we should of given him the longer contract up front.
I think Bergy played it right.

Heres how I see this situation.....what a fantastic 'problem', we have
a superstar D man and now we have to pay him his dues.

Better than a bust or Myers deal.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
PK is our best player by a very wide margin

The days of Price being our best player are over. PK is a star and he is the best player on the team and it's not even close. I really hope the team gives him more slack and starts building the team around him ie: get him a dman to play with.

The last 3 important games he's played.

Game 7 in Boston
Game 4 in Ottawa
Game 5 in Montreal

He has scored in. He raises his game in the playoffs. He shows emotion. He is the type of player we all want. This is PK's team.

Might as well make this an appreciation thread.

:handclap:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
You people who think that some negotiations is the reason for subbans success are seriously undermining sub an as a person. Guy grew up in what seems to be a good family, and rather give his parents and subban Himself credit for spectacular season. No doubt in my mind that pk would had same success with a bigger contract. Guy is work beast, wants to play, is a genuinely good person and and has elite talent. No rookie GM has that much influence over such a player.
And an ways pk took over top d man spot as soon as he stepped on the ice and never looked back. Honest mistake for PK to think he already deserved top d man money, since he was, is and will be a top d man for long time. Miscue by MB. Will cost him additional 2-3 mil in cap over next 5 years. Which is his job, much more then motivating players through contract negotiations.

Bingo.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
The days of Price being our best player are over. PK is a star and he is the best player on the team and it's not even close. I really hope the team gives him more slack and starts building the team around him ie: get him a dman to play with.

The last 3 important games he's played.

Game 7 in Boston
Game 4 in Ottawa
Game 5 in Montreal

He has scored in. He raises his game in the playoffs. He shows emotion. He is the type of player we all want. This is PK's team.

Might as well make this an appreciation thread.

:handclap:

Looking forward to him taking command of the PP after Markov is done. He doesn't seem to have that poise and control yet but it's very close. Happy to have him on the team and can't wait to sign him long-term.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Well, Subban has to be worth minimum $7M per. I'm not sure there was anybody going to give him more than $5M before this year?

$40M/8yrs = $5M aav
vs.
$56M+$5.75M/10yrs = $6.175M aav

Not that big a deal. We get him for 2 more years, and get the lowered cap hit in the crucial 2013 off-season when the cap goes down.

Exactly, everyone freaking out over this needs to realize that in the end we will have PK locked up for a total of 10 years instead of 8. It wasn't about saving the most money, it was about making sure PK stays a Hab for as long as possible.

I'm glad MB didn't throw the bank at him this time around.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
All hope for is that PK is signed as soon as he is eligible for extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad