Speculation: Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, because giving Subban six million originally would have turned him into a huge disappointment. It has nothing to do with Myers just being overrated. :rolleyes:

PK will demand seven plus, if only to make up for what he lost out on. He's not doing us any favors that's for certain. If he does, he has far more character than this league will ever give him credit for, but I can't blame him if he goes max money.

We have absolutely none. Teams will offersheet him this time, and they will pay him whatever he wants. Our defense is also not anywhere near as good without him and he knows it.

As far as I know teams who have done the offer sheet have only done it when they figured the target team couldn't do it financially. That's not us, we can pay. Also, PK cant bank on an offer sheet so yes, I said we have... some...bargaining power and we do. We start negotiating by the way as soon as we are allowed, not when his contract is up at the end of next year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. :laugh:
Of course he is ;)

It was just a dumb decision and I can't believe there were some people actually defending it or saying it was a good move.

Hopefully he won't ask for the moon.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well, Subban has to be worth minimum $7M per. I'm not sure there was anybody going to give him more than $5M before this year?

$40M/8yrs = $5M aav
vs.
$56M+$5.75M/10yrs = $6.175M aav

Not that big a deal. We get him for 2 more years, and get the lowered cap hit in the crucial 2013 off-season when the cap goes down.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I believe he's getting 7mil per, but I'd offer him an 8 year extension at 50mil this summer and tell him he'll be the next Captain of the Habs. Hopefully that makes him sign for a little less.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
How can people say that the bridge contract was a mistake is beyond me. Bergevin put Subban into his place saying he's not more important than the team and then when Subban came back he had a perfect attitude, always talking of the team instead of himself, being very commited to play the system and had a monster season to prove he is worth what he was asking for. And we got a bargain for this year and next.

Tell me how this is different from what Bergevins envisioned when he gave him a bridge contract. What was he hoping for? That Subban sucked this year so he can then sign him for 3 mil per for 6 years???

Yeah maybe Myers was overated and Subban is much better. Bergevin just wanted to be sure of this and of Subban's attitude before he gave him this contract. Now you sign him for 6 or 7 million per who cares, now YOU KNOW he's worth it.

Malmsteen44

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
7 million x 8 years, 56 million, if he wants to play on a competitive team. More than that would make him the only possible big contract on the team and hurt overall depth.

Pittsburgh has TWO players making that, Chicago has Kane/Toews, and many teams have at least one 8 million dollar a year player, so your argument is not valid at all. The GM gambled on the bridge contract and may have to pay the piper. I just hope so called "fans" don't expect PK to take any less than any of his peers would.

Last edited:

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Extend him very long term and at a good amount. Guy has been producing points ever since he signed. When he first joined us, it was during the playoffs. While he was inexperienced he was good. The next season, the team played like **** and he was still good, yet everyone saw him as mediocre.

I've been saying, give him his long term 5-5.5 mil a year contract. But now he's going to ask more. And he deserves it tbh.

Now that we actually had a team playing, he's considered as a norris candidate.

Extend and sign this guy already!

Malmsteen44

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Norris trophy candidate : 7 -8 per year, whatever term is.

Ouch, while he is excellent offensively, he is good for a major gaffe a game in his own end, not like most other Norris type players.

And you are basing this on what? He is a plus player on a slightly above avg team.

Malmsteen44

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'd hope he takes something like 30 miilion(6m per year) for 5 years cause i dont think anyone in this NHL is worth more than that. Players who ask more than that are selfish in my opinion but i guess that blame would have to go on those crazy agents they have to.

I hope he gets MARKET value and there are a lot of "selfish" players making more than 6 million.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'm saying I don't think he could have been had for the 4.5-5 that the OP was suggesting.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, wasn't 5 or 5.5 per the numbers Bob McKenzie and many credible media sources were saying P.K. and his agent were demanding in negotiations?

Of course, none of us know for sure, but I believe this was the speculation. I doubt they were demanding 7+...

Malmsteen44

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
How can people say that the bridge contract was a mistake is beyond me. Bergevin put Subban into his place saying he's not more important than the team and then when Subban came back he had a perfect attitude, always talking of the team instead of himself, being very commited to play the system and had a monster season to prove he is worth what he was asking for. And we got a bargain for this year and next.

Tell me how this is different from what Bergevins envisioned when he gave him a bridge contract. What was he hoping for? That Subban sucked this year so he can then sign him for 3 mil per for 6 years???

Yeah maybe Myers was overated and Subban is much better. Bergevin just wanted to be sure of this and of Subban's attitude before he gave him this contract. Now you sign him for 6 or 7 million per who cares, now YOU KNOW he's worth it.

In a couple years, PK is going to put Bergevin back in his place.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The bridge deal was not that bad. Would have been OK with a little more money on that deal, but meh. It really lit a fire under Subban's ass.

Now, just extend him for 6-7-8 years. Heck, he may take a deal at around 6-6.5AAV. Would be great. Guy's a winner.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Unless I'm remembering wrong, wasn't 5 or 5.5 per the numbers Bob McKenzie and many credible media sources were saying P.K. and his agent were demanding in negotiations?

Of course, none of us know for sure, but I believe this was the speculation. I doubt they were demanding 7+...

Exactly, none of us know for sure. You can't say, "Well Bergevin messed up because he could have maybe got him at a discount"

And "credible sources" aren't always right. Remember how everyone was calling Iggy to Boston?

The whole premise of this thread is whack. Instead of celebrating the fact that we actually have a player who could actually be worth 7 million dollars (especially considering the last guy we had on our roster who was making that kind of money) we're complaining because we couldn't get him at a bargain that may or may not have ever been available in the first place.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
If I'm GM, during this summer I offer Doughty money @ max length and leave it at that. If he doesn't take it I entertain the idea of trading him before the deadline.

He is not a RFA this summer.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Exactly, none of us know for sure. You can't say, "Well Bergevin messed up because he could have maybe got him at a discount"

And "credible sources" aren't always right. Remember how everyone was calling Iggy to Boston?

The whole premise of this thread is whack. Instead of celebrating the fact that we actually have a player who could actually be worth 7 million dollars (especially considering the last guy we had on our roster who was making that kind of money) we're complaining because we couldn't get him at a bargain that may or may not have ever been available in the first place.

I can see the point you're tying to make, but I think it's painfully obvious Subban is worth more over a long term extension now, than he was before the season started. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

It was also painfully obvious that Subban wanted to sign long term.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
The bridge contract was great for many reasons, but now give him whatever he asks for. He is that good. Him and Glachenyuk on the team for years....

:drooling:

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
I can see the point you're tying to make, but I think it's painfully obvious Subban is worth more over a long term extension now, than he was before the season started. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

It was also painfully obvious that Subban wanted to sign long term.

I know the thought of getting him at a discount is tempting, but honestly, how many teams undisputed best players were signed drastically below value?

You have to look at it from Bergevin's point of view. He came here without knowing much about the players. The one thing he DEFINITELY knows about Subban, though, is the controversies. Do you really want to sign a guy long term when he's had two fights with teammates at practice? He really didn't have a choice but to do the bridge contract.

It's easy for us to say "just sign him already" but it's a different ball game when you're the GM of a franchise with such high expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad