Speculation: Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
As MANY of us said at the time, the bridge contract could turn out to be awful in the long run, as now he'll obviously cost MUCH more than he would have if we signed him long term before the season. Fact is, he's among the best damn defenseman in the game. Speculating here, but what could have cost us 4.5 - 5 million per season over a long term deal, could now cost us 7+ per over the same amount of years..

I didn't understand it at the time, and I still don't. His value is higher than it's ever going to be, especially if he wins the Norris. We're entering the worst possible time to talk extension! I like Bergevin, I really do. But that decision, and the Desharnais and Bouillon mid-season extensions..I just..:shakehead

Of course, for all we know, Subban may not have been interested in a long term deal before this season, but everything we read stated otherwise. And yes, I get the people that question if P.K. would have played at the same level had he not been basically playing to prove his worth, but still..I would have done everything in my power to sign him long term when we could.

Oh well, let's see how this turns out. Give the man whatever he ****ing wants. Hopefully it's just not too much. :help:

void

Jan 5, 2006
He's going to be insanely expensive but he deserves it. Bergevin better not **** it up. We can't afford to lose him.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
No way he signs for less than what Karlsson and Doughty are making.

7+ is pretty much a lock.

We'll see. Karlsson is the better player, but Subban has had a great season and is in a great bargaining position.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
We'll see. Karlsson is the better player, but Subban has had a great season and is in a great bargaining position.

I take Subban over Karlsson ten times out of ten. He is a complete competitor and a physical specimen. No team has successfully shut him down in the playoffs.

Karlsson has easily been nullified by other teams, we are just too soft on him.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
7 million x 8 years, 56 million, if he wants to play on a competitive team. More than that would make him the only possible big contract on the team and hurt overall depth.

HabsRealist

Jul 23, 2009
Norris trophy candidate : 7 -8 per year, whatever term is.

Ouch, while he is excellent offensively, he is good for a major gaffe a game in his own end, not like most other Norris type players.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
Ouch, while he is excellent offensively, he is good for a major gaffe a game in his own end, not like most other Norris type players.

Every defenseman makes mistakes in the defensive zone. Subban doesn't make more of them than the league's other top defensemen.

TYLENOL

Dec 29, 2012
I'd hope he takes something like 30 miilion(6m per year) for 5 years cause i dont think anyone in this NHL is worth more than that. Players who ask more than that are selfish in my opinion but i guess that blame would have to go on those crazy agents they have to.

onemorecup*

No, no. The bridge contract MADE subban the player he is right now. You just don't understand.

EXACTLY

ask buffalo what paying myers franchise money right away got them

pk needed to mature and be a better team player and this contract gave him the motivation to do so

pay him 6-7 mil a year who cares he is worth it

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
If he wants more then $6.5 per year, see you later.

Other teams are willing to pay him what he wants, let him go and find his pot of gold.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
If I'm GM, during this summer I offer Doughty money @ max length and leave it at that. If he doesn't take it I entertain the idea of trading him before the deadline.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Norris trophy candidate : 7 -8 per year, whatever term is.

Have you ever seen Letang or Karllson play??

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Two years of RFA left so we have some bargaining ability. Those 2 years at $6.0M per. Four years of UFA at $ 7.5M. So 6 years for $42M.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
get in a room with Subban and his agent
answer "yes" before Subban even tells you what he wants in his contract
sign the paper
go home

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
EXACTLY

ask buffalo what paying myers franchise money right away got them

pk needed to mature and be a better team player and this contract gave him the motivation to do so

pay him 6-7 mil a year who cares he is worth it

Yeah, because giving Subban six million originally would have turned him into a huge disappointment. It has nothing to do with Myers just being overrated. :rolleyes:

PK will demand seven plus, if only to make up for what he lost out on. He's not doing us any favors that's for certain. If he does, he has far more character than this league will ever give him credit for, but I can't blame him if he goes max money.

Two years of RFA left so we have some bargaining ability. Those 2 years at $6.0M per. Four years of UFA at $ 7.5M. So 6 years for $42M.

We have absolutely none. Teams will offersheet him this time, and they will pay him whatever he wants. Our defense is also not anywhere near as good without him and he knows it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad