Post-Game Talk: Stupid penalties and poor 5on5 play

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Clouder should be lining up against Eichel, he’s fared well this series. Woody has to take advantage of last change in game 6.
Absolutely.
If he doesnt then coaching will be the biggest factor in why the team lost the series.

Hopefully Woody isnt a dinosaur when it comes to analytics and he is actually paying attention.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
If I have to point the finger at a single person, this game was on Woodcroft. Repeating the same stupid mistakes and expecting different results.

1) Starting Skinner and/or not pulling him early enough. Why do you have a $5 million goalie sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs? Campbell has been great in multiple relief appearances.

2) Tethering Yamamoto to Draisaitl. Yamamoto belongs nowhere near the top 6 six in any contending team and with Draisaitl reverting to shit mode, that made things worse

3) Uneven ice time distribution. Why is Kostin only playing 3 minutes??? He has 3 ES goals, which is more than most of our forwards. Running McDavid and Draisaitl into the ground is starting to show, at least in Draisaitl's case.

4) Overreliance on rookie D. This is partly on Holland for not getting a serviceable vet at the deadline but Broberg and Vinny D aren't it. I know the Nurse suspension also plays a role, so hopefully those two are pretty much parked the next game. I'm still seething that Holland went galaxy-brain and picked Broberg when Zegras and others were available.
This is what's so frustrating, because we're not getting beaten by a better team. It's our own coach sewering us because he's too damn arrogant or stupid to manage the bench at even the most fundamental level. The players will take the blame for not wanting it enough, but it was evident last night this is a team that is banged up and out of gas. That's on Woody and only on Woody. He skated our entire top six into the ice before the playoffs even started, and then continued that same strategy straight through the first two rounds. Even if we still win this, this is a series that should have been over by now and will instead go seven games if we're lucky.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well then, REALLY shoot! Their back up might be even worse (but I doubt it haha)
Their “back up” was their 1b goalie till he got hurt and has better numbers than Skinner this year. Brossoit was just playing cause he was the hot goalie for them.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think we generated a single Grade A chance 5 on 5 last night.
The fact that our 5v5 game is so bad this playoffs while being pretty much fully healthy is a problem. Below 50% goal share, 10th/16.

The issue lies in the team having the 3rd worst high danger shooting percentage in the entire playoffs.

We can’t finish our quality chances

Reactions: Mav3rick07

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Absolutely.
If he doesnt then coaching will be the biggest factor in why the team lost the series.

Hopefully Woody isnt a dinosaur when it comes to analytics and he is actually paying attention.

The Oilers don’t use Analytics….only team in the NHL that doesnt

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are you sure about that?
They don't have an analytics department. Unsurprisingly the most successful teams heavily invest in analytics. Meanwhile we rely on our gut.

I'm sure any real analytic would've told us to stay the eff away from Campbell but the ol' gut said otherwise.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
This is what's so frustrating, because we're not getting beaten by a better team. It's our own coach sewering us because he's too damn arrogant or stupid to manage the bench at even the most fundamental level. The players will take the blame for not wanting it enough, but it was evident last night this is a team that is banged up and out of gas. That's on Woody and only on Woody. He skated our entire top six into the ice before the playoffs even started, and then continued that same strategy straight through the first two rounds. Even if we still win this, this is a series that should have been over by now and will instead go seven games if we're lucky.

Your point on Campbell is so valid. In his post game presser, Woodcroft saying something along the lines of Oilers don’t win if they allow 4. Taking a look at Skinner’s playoff numbers- his GAA is 3.52. Like- someone please explain this logic to me.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The fact that our 5v5 game is so bad this playoffs while being pretty much fully healthy is a problem. Below 50% goal share, 10th/16.

The issue lies in the team having the 3rd worst high danger shooting percentage in the entire playoffs.

We can’t finish our quality chances
That tends to happen when your 37, 36, and 32 (pace) goal scorers combine for 5 even strength goals in 11 playoff games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day, I think this game broke the Oilers morale. Final 3 minutes of the game and they barely had the puck and struggled to even get it. Couple that with Oilers not being a great home team, series is over tomorrow I think.
It feels like the age old hockey player saying. “They just want it more”. It feels true here. Vegas players are hustling, playing hard and succeeding 5v5. Our guys really haven’t done that outside of a single game this series.

Maybe that changes by tomorrow but this teams mental seems a little cooked. Immediately give back goals and letting games slip away in a matter of minutes.

Again maybe they have grown since last year but we will see. Boys seem exhausted.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
At the end of the day, I think this game broke the Oilers morale. Final 3 minutes of the game and they barely had the puck and struggled to even get it. Couple that with Oilers not being a great home team, series is over tomorrow I think.
It feels like the age old hockey player saying. “They just want it more”. It feels true here. Vegas players are hustling, playing hard and succeeding 5v5. Our guys really haven’t done that outside of a single game this series.

Maybe that changes by tomorrow but this teams mental seems a little cooked. Immediately give back goals and letting games slip away in a matter of minutes.

Again maybe they have grown since last year but we will see. Boys seem exhausted.
Judging by the lack of intensity last game after all that happened, you might be right

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
I agree.
After that horrific injury it was probably unrealistic for us to think that he would be his old self this season.
Something is not right, he can shoot just fine ,but he's not handling the puck very well and has been getting "0" opportunities/looks.
Can't seem to figure out what's bothering him . Takes the body , seems to skate a bit slower. But no hands around net ,and for some reason he's not getting ANY LOOKS .. really weird.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Go to about 1:40.

The exact same play happened as last night with Eichel's 1-1 goal.

It involves the Knights again which makes it funny, but a Knights player clips Jones (when with the Sharks) and spins him as the shot comes through. Rebound is collected and they score.

The result? Goalie interference, goal taken off the board. This league is a write-off.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Something is not right, he can shoot just fine ,but he's not handling the puck very well and has been getting "0" opportunities/looks.
Can't seem to figure out what's bothering him . Takes the body , seems to skate a bit slower. But no hands around net ,and for some reason he's not getting ANY LOOKS .. really weird.
I hear you.

Whatever it is that he is dealing with hopefully it is resolved next season.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Absolutely.

If he was paying attention Campbell would of started long ago

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
No goaltending no chance. Always has been always will be, people for the last 5 years have been blaming our defense for everything, our defense has never been as bad as people think but our tending has been much much worse.

We lost last year when we finally could not score like 5 or 6 a game and it is the same this year.

Skinner stinks.
And they will start him again tomorrow.

I don't think Campbell has any pressure. He is thrown into a series that we are down and where the other goalie has been MEH

I would be so loose out there. Can't get much worse

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I appreciate the sentiments but it has little to do with Parros’ background or personal feelings and more to do with the mandate to continue with managing the games / series. If Pietrangelo wasn’t getting suspended they would have retracted the suspension. Parros is just a diligent worker bee for the league
If this is the case you have to feel for Parros with all the abuse coming his way. Also, if there is a mandate in place to massage games I'd be all for gutting the league front office starting with little Gary.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he was paying attention Campbell would of started long ago
I dont blame Woody at all for hesitating to start Campbell.
He may have been okay in relief so far this season but his *starting record* is beyond brutal.
If not for Skinner this team would have finished much lower in the standings.

*Just in case anyone else wants to take this post down a rabbit hole my intent was to state that (aside from a few recent relief appearances) Campbells reliability was brutal this season. Skinner was more reliable.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Absolutely.

One doesn't even need any analytics to see which matchups are, or are not working and this is something coaches have done for a century. Without analytics. Just saying. Its basically not paying attention to specific situations and game likelihoods. Woody is not a good gatekeeper for toi. He's weak at when to use players, how to use them. and who to use.

This is disguised by Woody having a legend lineup with an unbeatable PP. So much of where the Oilers are is due to the PP which has been an unstoppable force.

This is the best lineup the Oilers have had since the glory years. Better even than 05-06. This team should at least get to cup final. Anything short of that, for this lineup, its not getting it done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One doesn't even need any analytics to see which matchups are, or are not working and this is something coaches have done for a century. Without analytics. Just saying. Its basically not paying attention to specific situations and game likelihoods. Woody is not a good gatekeeper for toi. He's weak at when to use players, how to use them. and who to use.

This is disguised by Woody having a legend lineup with an unbeatable PP. So much of where the Oilers are is due to the PP which has been an unstoppable force.

This is the best lineup the Oilers have had since the glory years. Better even than 05-06. This team should at least get to cup final. Anything short of that, for this lineup, its not getting it done.
As good as this lineup is it still has some glaring holes/absences.
Its not championship caliber at the moment.

RNH and Kane are virtual no shows offensively and the bottom pairings on D are anything but championship caliber.
In the bottom 6 the shine is coming off of Bjugstads rose as well as he is showing that he needs sheltering.
If I compare the Oilers defence to the Vegas defence its obvious which one (as a group) is better. Same goes for the bottom 6.

This may be the best lineup we have seen here in a long time but there are legit questions about if its good enough to win the SC.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I dont blame Woody at all for hesitating to start Campbell.
He may have been okay in relief so far this season but his starting record is beyond brutal.
If not for Skinner this team would have finished much lower in the standings.
Jack Campbell: 34GS -21-9-4 46pts .676 win percentage. Prorates to 111pts season. Prorates to Oilers in first place.

Your statement is demonstrably false. Numerically false.

Indeed there is not even a statistically significant difference in the respective goalies starting record. If anything Skinner is LOWER at .656 win percentage.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As good as this lineup is it still has some glaring holes/absences.
Its not championship caliber at the moment.

RNH and Kane are virtual no shows offensively and the bottom pairings on D are anything but championship caliber.
In the bottom 6 the shine is coming off of Bjugstads rose as well as he is showing that he needs sheltering.
If I compare the Oilers defence to the Vegas defence its obvious which one (as a group) is better. Same goes for the bottom 6.

This may be the best lineup we have seen here in a long time but their are legit questions about if its good enough to win the SC.
Its a bit of a myth what "championship calibre" looks like. This team is no worse by any measure than the Caps that won the cup. Its comparable to Blues that won the cup.

Throughout NHL history some cup winning teams have been more loaded than others. This version of the Oilers on paper is good enough to get it done. We've had benefit of less injuries in playoffs this season and with our star players less impacted. This makes this a go year. This should be the season the Oilers are going all the way. You don't get this fortune, or many other contending teams exiting this many times.

Theres zero excuse for Nuge being this pedestrian in playoffs. The difference between winning a cup and being an also ran is a player like Nuge or Nicushkin rising up. With every peak contribution you get multiple series wins. Without it you have more trouble prevailing. Thing is the OIlers HAVE Kane and RNH. They should be making more of a difference. But they are on the roster,

Reactions: Kinibo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jack Campbell: 34GS -21-9-4 46pts .676 win percentage. Prorates to 111pts season. Prorates to Oilers in first place.

Your statement is demonstrably false. Numerically false.

Indeed there is not even a statistically significant difference in the respective goalies starting record. If anything Skinner is LOWER at .656 win percentage.
Pretty bold statement for you to make and then post those stats.

So lets source it out. Where did you pull those numbers out of?

Do you even have a link?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad