Stupid Madden, Rossi, Anderson et al Tricks Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is it that Crosby doesn't want to play with Bennett, or is it that Bylsma wants Bennett to play like Dupuis?

You're looking for conspiratorial answers to a simple phenomenon: a pure playmaker who wants to slow the play down and a playmaker who wants to speed the play up can't form the basis of a line. If Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman were coaching this team, they can't make something that doesn't work ever work this time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You're looking for conspiratorial answers to a simple phenomenon: a pure playmaker who wants to slow the play down and a playmaker who wants to speed the play up can't form the basis of a line. If Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman were coaching this team, they can't make something that doesn't work ever work this time.

For Sid and Bennett to work, Sid needs to get back into his shooting mindset from 2009-2010. Otherwise, Bennett is better off with Geno and Neal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

RRP, I think you're taking Sid's preference for speed out of context in order to justify Bylsma's decisions for removing Bennett from that line in favor of Gibbons. Just because Sid prefers speed, doesn't mean he can't or won't play with someone who doesn't have speed.

IMO, that quote was classic Bylsma where he took a part of a truth (Sid preferring speed on his line, if at all possible) out of context and used it as justification for his (Bylsma's) own lineup decisions.

For instance, it would be like taking the following quote out of context to justify a coaching decision. "Iginla said he was nervous playing next to Malkin and Crosby on the PP. He's more used to playing with right handed centermen", and then Bylsma using that quote as justification for removing Iginla from the top PP unit and playing him with Brandon Sutter at even strength.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
RRP, I think you're taking Sid's preference for speed out of context in order to justify Bylsma's decisions for removing Bennett from that line in favor of Gibbons. Just because Sid prefers speed, doesn't mean he can't or won't play with someone who doesn't have speed.

IMO, that quote was classic Bylsma where he took a part of a truth (Sid preferring speed on his line, if at all possible) out of context and used it as justification for his (Bylsma's) own lineup decisions.

For instance, it would be like taking the following quote out of context to justify a coaching decision. "Iginla said he was nervous playing next to Malkin and Crosby on the PP. He's more used to playing with right handed centermen", and then Bylsma using that quote as justification for removing Iginla from the PP and playing him with Brandon Sutter at even strength.

He is just saying that Sid prefers it. Not that Sid is right to prefer it. Not that Sid demands it or that Bylsma should put speed there.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

For instance, it would be like taking the following quote out of context to justify a coaching decision. "Iginla said he was nervous playing next to Malkin and Crosby on the PP. He's more used to playing with right handed centermen", and then Bylsma using that quote as justification for removing Iginla from the top PP unit and playing him with Brandon Sutter at even strength.

What Ogre said.

It's ultimately DB's job to put the best possible combinations out there, but I'm no longer going to make excuses for Sid personally on account of his wingers. He has what he wants, even if it's not what he needs.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Call me a stubborn Sid homer, but I refuse to believe he can't or won't adjust to a guy that doesn't play like Dupes. Take Kunitz away from him and see how the dynamic changes.

Sid plays that way b/c he's had no other choice over the years except for a couple stints with BB where Kunitz is playing more like Neal than Kunitz back in 09.

I'm not absolving Sid from blame. But if we lose this series, I'm pointing the finger at management and coaching first. Sid will have lost another year of his prime and suffered enough.

I think it's more Crosby and the other skilled player (it is in fact not just him having to adapt) needing time together to gel and adjust, that hasn't happened in forever. They've also forced the guy to play a certain way for awhile now by not giving him skill on his wings consistently so time is needed for those tendencies to be altered. I mean this season with the revolving door of unfit RW's probably also contributed to the problem. Imagine if they'd managed to solve the winger problem years ago, but, hey, defensemen were needed.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
For Sid and Bennett to work, Sid needs to get back into his shooting mindset from 2009-2010. Otherwise, Bennett is better off with Geno and Neal.

Bennett's not good enough to be the brain on a line against the coverage Crosby sees. Maybe he will be some day, but he's not now. Finding a seam and springing your 11 goal per year linemate for a breakaway from the third is one thing. Having every opponent poring over video of everything you do in the pre-game meeting and managing to out-think their preparation in the offensive zone is quite another.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bennett's not good enough to be the brain on a line against the coverage Crosby sees. Maybe he will be some day, but he's not now. Finding a seam and springing your 11 goal per year linemate for a breakaway from the third is one thing. Having every opponent poring over video of everything you do in the pre-game meeting and managing to out-think their preparation in the offensive zone is quite another.

I would definitely prefer him on Geno's line as the 3rd wheel right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
People are missing the most obvious problem with the Iggy situation...

Apparently DB had convos with Dupuis and promised he would stay with Crosby, while Crosby said he wanted Dupuis on his line in some other private convo.

So why exactly was there no communication between Shero and DB about this? Why would you acquire a HOF RW, who never played the left side in his life, if there wasn't an open spot for him?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Apparently DB had convos with Dupuis and promised he would stay with Crosby, while Crosby said he wanted Dupuis on his line in some other private convo.

So why exactly was there no communication between Shero and DB about this? Why would you acquire a HOF RW, who never played the left side in his life, if there wasn't an open spot for him?

ya I've brought this up before. No matter what happened, it was a mistake. Either Shero didn't talk to Disco first, or he did talk to him and agreed with the horrible misuse.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

610x-115.jpg

"Because we're all best buddies here! Why have a future Hall of Famer play on our top line when we can sign a bunch of third-liners to play in our top-6 like my buddy David Poile does in Nashville! Yay Nashville!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad