Stupid Madden, Rossi, Anderson et al Tricks Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The more I think about it, the more I think this Yohe article has meme potential.

Pride Goes In
Pride Goes Out
Egomaniacs, you can't explain that

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What I took from this: Josh Yohe is so far up Dan Bylsma's ass that he may as well be wearing him as a meat suit. So while he attempts to levy justified criticism, he couches it by absolving him of all blame and saying - without support - that anyone would have made the same mistakes.

I dunno. To me this seemed like he just wanted to call Dan a Kardashian without making an enemy. You'll notice the criticism is very specific and the praise very general (read 'general' as 'empty'). This article is something out of Mean Girls. "Her ass is fat, she's crosseyed and she smells...but she's such a beautiful person!!!"

Maybe it's not that brave to do it this way, but stealthily, this is the meanest thing I've seen written about Dan in the Pittsburgh media that wasn't written by Madden.

Edit: reading this again, if I were Dan, I'd be more insulted by this article than one that outright called me an irredeemable slob. He's pissing in Dan's pocket and telling him it's rain.

Last edited:

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I think you guys are still critiquing and holding Yohe to the normal standards of journalism. I've given up most hope from expecting him and his buddy to meet those so I guess I viewed it more from a 10th grade perspective (thanks IC!).

Anyways, yes, a lot of the article is contradicting. I was more surprised though to actually see him acknowledge any of the misgivings that so many here have justifiably aimed at Bylsma. Incredibly low expectations? Absolutely, but that doesn't necessarily mean all of it is wholly inaccurate. I agree, Dan Bylsma was not the victim of extraordinary circumstances that no one else could've possibly overcome. Danny boy did this to himself, probably with an assist from Rejan for not putting his ass in place when it needed to be. As IC said, great coaches find a way to move through those issues.

Inflated ego, early success leads to a perceived invincibility of his decision making, no accountability (or questionable selectiveness at best). All those seem to align with what many hear felt were issues. It's not the whole story, it's not presented in the best way, it's self contradicted later on, but hey, considering the source, I was surprised to see even a hint of acknowledgement towards it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I dunno. To me this seemed like he just wanted to call Dan a Kardashian without making an enemy. You'll notice the criticism is very specific and the praise very general (read 'general' as 'empty'). This article is something out of Mean Girls. "Her ass is fat, she's crosseyed and she smells...but she's such a beautiful person!!!"

Maybe it's not that brave to do it this way, but stealthily, this is the meanest thing I've seen written about Dan in the Pittsburgh media that wasn't written by Madden.

Edit: reading this again, if I were Dan, I'd be more insulted by this article than one that outright called me an irredeemable slob. He's pissing in Dan's pocket and telling him it's rain.

It's amazing how two reasonable people can read the same article and come to vastly different conclusions. I'm with IcedCapp here. Also, why the hell should Yohe care about making an enemy with a guy that isn't coaching the team anymore. Want to show some guts? Write this same article after the loss to Boston last year. It's all based on some weird memory he had of him from his first encounter so it's not like he just learned of this revelation.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Follow me on twitter if you want made up **** just like Rossi and Yohe @pensfan_pit :sarcasm:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think you guys are still critiquing and holding Yohe to the normal standards of journalism. I've given up most hope from expecting him and his buddy to meet those so I guess I viewed it more from a 10th grade perspective (thanks IC!).

Anyways, yes, a lot of the article is contradicting. I was more surprised though to actually see him acknowledge any of the misgivings that so many here have justifiably aimed at Bylsma. Incredibly low expectations? Absolutely, but that doesn't necessarily mean all of it is wholly inaccurate. I agree, Dan Bylsma was not the victim of extraordinary circumstances that no one else could've possibly overcome. Danny boy did this to himself, probably with an assist from Rejan for not putting his ass in place when it needed to be. As IC said, great coaches find a way to move through those issues.

Inflated ego, early success leads to a perceived invincibility of his decision making, no accountability (or questionable selectiveness at best). All those seem to align with what many hear felt were issues. It's not the whole story, it's not presented in the best way, it's self contradicted later on, but hey, considering the source, I was surprised to see even a hint of acknowledgement towards it.

I wasn't insinuating that you or anyone else who appreciated the article was a 10th grader, sorry if that's how it came across

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's amazing how two reasonable people can read the same article and come to vastly different conclusions. I'm with IcedCapp here. Also, why the hell should Yohe care about making an enemy with a guy that isn't coaching the team anymore. Want to show some guts? Write this same article after the loss to Boston last year. It's all based on some weird memory he had of him from his first encounter so it's not like he just learned of this revelation.

Well, just look at Yohe. Listen to the way he talks. He strike you as a "path of least resistance" kind of guy? That's the impression I get.

Sort of dude who thinks "maybe I'll take the dog for a walk in the park tomorrow" but when it comes time, just says "eh, I'll just chill in the hammock instead."

I think if his editor wanted him to write an article listing any red flags he saw with DB, he'd want to write it in such a way as to not have an angry phone call interfere with his hammock time (incidentally, IcedCapp is not wrong about that opening paragraph. That's the type of thing a journo 101 professor reads to the class as an example of what not to do...in fact, I think my journo 101 professor, who worked for the PG...Tom something...did read such an opening and say it doesn't fly).

Where someone else might read this article as "Dan had problems, but they're not his fault," I read this as "Dan had problems and I'd rather watch the third inning of the Red Sox game than get a phone call from him telling me I'm wrong."

So he went the Mean Girls route of vicious criticism and empty compliments. "Her skin is blotchy and her teeth are crooked, but she's a really pretty person, I swear."

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I wasn't insinuating that you or anyone else who appreciated the article was a 10th grader, sorry if that's how it came across

Not at all. Quite the contrary, I feel it's appropriate to view Yohe and RR through sophomoric lenses. Trying to hold them to an actual professional journalistic standard would be an exercise in futility. It probably read like I was defending Yohe, which just made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. I should've put a :sarcasm: after the 10th grade statement. I think I'm agreeing with your critique of the article while also being mildly surprised Yohe levied any criticism at all of Bylsma (even if he contradicted it later on)

Translation:

bustedtees.9af77d4e55bca31eb50521c34ec6953c.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Madden's #2 choice is Ron Wilson, really? (#1 is Stevens).

Also Madden is saying that their is some word that Sutter is planning on retiring after next season, so Stevens might just stay out there to take over the team after he leaves.

http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/sta...dden_june_17_hour_2_seg_4_st_0_1403024633.mp3

I'm fairly certain Madden made that up about Sutter. "Some word" just means using logic. It seems logical that Sutter would retire at some point in the next few years given his age and success in LA. Stevens seems like a likely HC choice should Sutter retire. Madden made it up.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
I can't figure out if Madden actually has sources other than Rossi/Yohe, or if he just somehow makes good guesses. Madden has gotten some predictions right, like Letang came back exactly when Madden said, everybody else said he was done for the season. Love him or hate him, at least Madden has been around the Pens for most of his life, first as a fan, then as media.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Madden isn't making that up about Sutter wanting to retire. I've heard that over the last couple of seasons.

Right but because he is using logic, not some inside source. That's what I'm saying. Just because you have heard people say that over the past few years, doesn't mean that Madden saying it is based on inside info. It's more likely he is just saying it because it sounds reasonable.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm fairly certain Madden made that up about Sutter. "Some word" just means using logic. It seems logical that Sutter would retire at some point in the next few years given his age and success in LA. Stevens seems like a likely HC choice should Sutter retire. Madden made it up.

There was speculation about Sutter wanting to retire soon from the Canadian media as well. I think he heard what those guys were saying and parroted it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I love how Rossi posits himself as Mr Insider, but ever since Rutherford got to town, Dave "verify all rumors with six sources and get 8 quotes from a principle before I'll print anything" Molinari is days ahead of everyone on every "inside" everything (with quotes in tow, lol).

I assume he and JR are drinking buddies from, like, 40 years ago.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Madden's insistence that anyone other than Wilson or Ulf won't be a good choice is quite strange.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I love how Rossi posits himself as Mr Insider, but ever since Rutherford got to town, Dave "verify all rumors with six sources and get 8 quotes from a principle before I'll print anything" Molinari is days ahead of everyone on every "inside" everything (with quotes in tow, lol).

I assume he and JR are drinking buddies from, like, 40 years ago.

New management and coaching not talking to Rossi would be glorious.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm not sure previous management talked to him either, apart from when they wanted everyone to think Despres was a fat, unpopular crybaby.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
We should make a fake Ulf twitter. And then find someone that Rossi follows to retweet something like "I'm proud to be back with the organization."

Rossi would bite on that like a malnourished catfish :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad