Injury Report: Stuetzle Suffers Upper Body Injury in Training in Germany

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thankfully, we retained our high-skill forwards for situations like these!

Any number of the picks made after the 1st could become NHL stars almost immediately; They will make mince meat out of the young pups other teams draft and play.. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself.
I+cant+even+contain+my+excitement+rose+and+ten+are+_c17a0d8cc037d0723d3c9f9883dcb964.gif

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
You appear to be the one mistaken. Your top hand on the stick is the dominant hand or shooting hand. Most people write with their right hand. That's why there's more left handed shots than right handed shots.

Not sure I get this. I’m right handed, I swing right (baseball hockey golf), my right hand is distal (further away) on the tool of the day. I think that’s natural, righty’s shoot right.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Not sure I get this. I’m right handed, I swing right (baseball hockey golf), my right hand is distal (further away) on the tool of the day. I think that’s natural, righty’s shoot right.
No he’s right. Majority of hockey players shoot left because they’re right handed. But that doesn’t meant you will always shoot left

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You appear to be the one mistaken. Your top hand on the stick is the dominant hand or shooting hand. Most people write with their right hand. That's why there's more left handed shots than right handed shots.

Stueztle is a left shot on all the sites that post how a player shoots & in the pics/videos I have seen of him the hand that is holding the centre of his stick shaft (insert joke here) is his left hand, the right is at the top of the stick shaft. Mark Stone shoots right & it's his right hand the holds the centre of the stick shaft all the times I have seen of him too.

I'm not quite sure how so many right handed people shoot left, I'm right handed & I have always shot right, but I do know some coaches that actually do coach kids the way you say, I've never understood it. My daughter plays hockey & she is right handed, but they have her playing LW & shooting left, when I took her miniature golfing she had no clue as to how to hold the club to putt, right or left. lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well if theres a time to get the shitty luck out of the way its now
and by now you mean this decade or to use a hockey term score? Winter came and is still here .. how many years will it last? this FYOUS timeline doesn't seem quite right. The night king is getting ansti

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Some interesting info:

A left-handed shooter in hockey holds the top of the stick with his right hand, with his left hand lower down the shaft of the stick and the blade touching the ground to the left side of his body. A right-handed shooter is the reverse, with his left hand at the top of the stick, leaning to his right to open his stick blade.

"Craig Desjardins, general manager for hockey and equipment at Bauer Hockey, tells the Daily News that "if you look at the pure data in Canada for sales" of hockey sticks across the industry to the average Joe over the last 10 years, "you're in the range of 65%-to-35%, left-handed to right-handed.""

"65% of American hockey consumers shooting right-handed compared to just 35% lefty."

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

If it were natural, right handed dmen wouldn't be so hard to find. I'm right handed and I swing left in hockey, baseball and golf.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I shoot right in hockey and golf. Catch with my left and throw with my right in baseball. Shoot a gun left-handed, shoot an arrow right handed. Catch with my right while playing goal.

A little unusual.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
No he’s right. Majority of hockey players shoot left because they’re right handed. But that doesn’t meant you will always shoot left

If it were natural, right handed dmen wouldn't be so hard to find. I'm right handed and I swing left in hockey, baseball and golf.

I learned something new today. I mean, not a deep dive or anything, but a quick google search confirms there is no clear answer. I have an 18 month old who seems to be right hand dominant, I guess I’ll let him play with hockey sticks and see what he prefers. In my case, I’m guessing I was given a righty stick when I was 4 and that’s how I learned. Maybe I would have a better slap shot and stick handling skills if I had shot left instead? :huh:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I learned something new today. I mean, not a deep dive or anything, but a quick google search confirms there is no clear answer. I have an 18 month old who seems to be right hand dominant, I guess I’ll let him play with hockey sticks and see what he prefers. In my case, I’m guessing I was given a righty stick when I was 4 and that’s how I learned. Maybe I would have a better slap shot and stick handling skills if I had shot left instead? :huh:

I don't think it matters at all. You pick up a stick and go for it. There's no formula or right or wrong way to shoot based on handedness

Personally I had never heard of a shooting hand until today

Reactions: GCK

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

So, take this for what it’s worth but...

There was a study done in the US, as to finding a cause for why there is a disproportionate amount of right shot Americans in hockey vs the rest of the world, and the hypothesis was that if a player learned how to swing a baseball bat before shooting with a hockey stick, they will naturally put their dominant hand closer to the point of contact.

The article then went into how players that have their dominant hand closer to the blade tend to have harder shots, while the opposite have better stick handling.

Makes total sense when you consider the popularity of baseball in the US.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
The dubious reasoning for playing with your dominant hand on the top of the stick only ever could possibly make sense with the heavy wood sticks of yore. With the ridiculously light sticks of today, there is no good reason for right- handed people to play hockey any way but right- handed. Also, if you are right-handed and play golf left-handed, you're just not getting it (go read a book on the golf swing by Sam Snead.)

Reactions: H2O

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I shoot right in hockey and golf. Catch with my left and throw with my right in baseball. Shoot a gun left-handed, shoot an arrow right handed. Catch with my right while playing goal.

A little unusual.
I would think shooting is more about your dominant eye rather than whether you are left or right handed. Presumably that applies to bow and arrow as well, which I guess is at odds with your situation, but I suppose if you learned young, you'd choose the stronger hand to draw back the string,

For what it's worth, I write, golf and play hockey right handed, play pool left handed (mostly, I can shoot pool right handed too), shoot right handed (though I've only done so a couple times), and bat right handed. I throw right handed too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think it's better to fracture the left hand if your dominant hand is the right one. So I think he broke the right hand. Now don't break anything else ffs :) That goes for all you prospects!

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
So, take this for what it’s worth but...

There was a study done in the US, as to finding a cause for why there is a disproportionate amount of right shot Americans in hockey vs the rest of the world, and the hypothesis was that if a player learned how to swing a baseball bat before shooting with a hockey stick, they will naturally put their dominant hand closer to the point of contact.

The article then went into how players that have their dominant hand closer to the blade tend to have harder shots, while the opposite have better stick handling.

Makes total sense when you consider the popularity of baseball in the US.
Yeah I remember reading the same way back when. Essentially if you're a natural righty and shoot right you'll have some extra juice on those shots (Ovechkin is good example).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad