Stuart Percy development and progress

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Because having him sitting in the press box won't help him at all. Better for him to be playing #1 minutes with the Marlies.

Your making an assumption that I do not share

I don't believe he will be the one sitting in the presser night in and night out.

Secondly, I would rather see our other D being pushed by someone like SP NOT to be in the presser compared to a guy like say holzer.

You want someone who is a bona fide threat to bump them out.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Rielly-Percy pairing needs to be reunited. Why does Carlyle fail to see a good pairing when it happens? It's like he's doing it on purpose to put together the worst lineup he possibly can.

For example, Frattin making the team over Leivo... Holland making the team over Carrick... Franson over Loov...

Agreed I loved the Rielly - Percy pairing, it needs to return

I wouldn't look too deeply into the other moves, Holland and Frattin were kept over Carrick and Leivo largely due to the later guys being waiver exempt. Another full season for both of them on the marlies is great for development, who knows if Holland/Frattin stay with the team and a spot opens up too.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Rielly-Percy pairing needs to be reunited. Why does Carlyle fail to see a good pairing when it happens? It's like he's doing it on purpose to put together the worst lineup he possibly can.

For example, Frattin making the team over Leivo... Holland making the team over Carrick... Franson over Loov...

bc Carlyle is more interested in giving vets opportunities vs team success. He's all about putting youngsters in their place and reminding them who's in charge.

Cant wait until the assistant coaches take over.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Your making an assumption that I do not share

I don't believe he will be the one sitting in the presser night in and night out.

Secondly, I would rather see our other D being pushed by someone like SP NOT to be in the presser compared to a guy like say holzer.

You want someone who is a bona fide threat to bump them out.

You're right, I'm assuming that Carlyle would only dress 6 dmen per game (which could be completely wrong as he has dressed 7 d in games last year). I suppose another assumption is that as the #7dman, Percy would not be getting into the lineup regularly when the top6 are healthy.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
I don't know why Percy is sitting,none of our D has played much better than him,and he's a rookie.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I don't know why Percy is sitting,none of our D has played much better than him,and he's a rookie.

Percy has, argueably, been our best defenceman so far. Still room for growth, but he looks like an NHL caliber defenceman. Both Franson and Gardiner should be sitting in the press box before Percy, IMO.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What does Percy project as in the NHL? Could someone give me a comparable + where they see him being...ie 2nd, 3rd, 4th dman,
pp? shtoi?
15/20/25/30 pt dman?
Physical?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What does Percy project as in the NHL? Could someone give me a comparable + where they see him being...ie 2nd, 3rd, 4th dman,
pp? shtoi?
15/20/25/30 pt dman?
Physical?

Complementary second pairing guy, ie a #4-5. Can spot in on a second PP unit that lacks two good options on the back end, and will be a staple on the second PK unit. That's what I would project currently.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
That would be the hope. I see the similarities, I prefer to temper my expectations though as Hamhuis is very good.

Yeah, I'm not sure Percy will ever play on the top pairing team in contention for the playoffs. I would say best case scenario would be a 2nd pair guy who can play on both special teams

mikebel111*

How many injuries this year?

That is only concern
He is a good player. He carried Granberg last season and was much more impressive than Granberg
One of our top D prospects with good upside

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
He seems to be a Top 6 D man that you develop within the franchise. A guy who you feel comfortable throwing out there day in and day out but isn't going to be super-flashy or score at a top rate. He'll get 25-30 points in a good season while playing excellent positionally.

I see it being something like this next year:

Reilly - Polak
Gardiner - Robidas
Percy - Holzer/Granberg

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
That is only concern
He is a good player. He carried Granberg last season and was much more impressive than Granberg
One of our top D prospects with good upside

Wtf? He carried Granberg? Are U for real? Why does everything have to be a competition between our players where you praise one player and feel a need to dump on another? Percy is the one with the more upside, that is a given. He skates better, handles the puck better and that alone makes him a better player. But he did not carry Granberg at all, they formed a partnership for much of last season that was very solid since they complimented each other.

In a way they are a perfect match. 2 intelligent players, one right handed the other left handed. One most comfortable in winning puck battles and make the safe plays, the other most comfortable in making safe, smart but creative plays with the puck.

Spott was very pleased with the pairing last season.

http://blog.marlies.ca/from-first-to-fourth-draft-picks-percy-and-granberg-impress/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wtf? He carried Granberg? Are U for real? Why does everything have to be a competition between our players where you praise one player and feel a need to dump on another? Percy is the one with the more upside, that is a given. He skates better, handles the puck better and that alone makes him a better player. But he did not carry Granberg at all, they formed a partnership for much of last season that was very solid since they complimented each other.

In a way they are a perfect match. 2 intelligent players, one right handed the other left handed. One most comfortable in winning puck battles and make the safe plays, the other most comfortable in making safe, smart but creative plays with the puck.

Spott was very pleased with the pairing last season.

http://blog.marlies.ca/from-first-to-fourth-draft-picks-percy-and-granberg-impress/

I don't think it matters.

One is currently in the NHL, the other is probably injured.

They are both kids, Granberg 9 months older, and neither are finished developing.

Loov has played 48 games, is their leading d-man scoring in his first season on the small ice. Has the 2nd. best defenseman +/-, maybe he's the guy to keep an eye on.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Complementary second pairing guy, ie a #4-5. Can spot in on a second PP unit that lacks two good options on the back end, and will be a staple on the second PK unit. That's what I would project currently.

I see him as a mid pairing guy (notice how I don't use numbers) who uses his intelligence to his advantage, using a good outlet pass and just being steady out there. I don't see anything in him that shows he can dominate and I don't expect him to, I see him kinda like a Johnny Oduwa (sp?) who is good at everything but excels at nothing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm not up to date on his injuries, I do know that he had at least two concussions in the OHL, but watching him play for us at the start of the season, I saw a player who lacks some of the skills to play at the NHL level still, now that needs to be taking with the fact that he was a rookie playing in his first games in the NHL.

His decisions were the worst part of his game as he made so many bad decision in each game and several of them ended in the back of our Net. In 9 games he has been a minus 4....with 12 giveaways! That is a boat load of give aways...considering we were playing well in most of those games. His ice time dropped a lot in his last couple of games before he was sent down, which I believe was best as he simply was not ready. He is not a physical D man nor an aggressive one, with his skill set he needs to step up his physical game as that may be his ticket to the NHL.

Where he will end up as a D man for us or any team is a guess, but mine is that he will be a NHL D man....not a starin the making and if he was traded I would not worry that he would be come anything special as that simply is not in the cards for him. His skating still needs work and when you couple that with his decisions that I saw him make in the short time he played in the NHL, I say he has a lot of work to do.

I also agree with johnny_rudeboy that Percy did not carry Granberg at all last season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I see him as a mid pairing guy (notice how I don't use numbers) who uses his intelligence to his advantage, using a good outlet pass and just being steady out there. I don't see anything in him that shows he can dominate and I don't expect him to, I see him kinda like a Johnny Oduwa (sp?) who is good at everything but excels at nothing.

It's Oduya.

Regarding the bolded, I usually try to avoid them too. Seems that every poster has their own idea of what they actually mean so they don't bring a lot to the discussion in my opinion.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not up to date on his injuries, I do know that he had at least two concussions in the OHL, but watching him play for us at the start of the season, I saw a player who lacks some of the skills to play at the NHL level still, now that needs to be taking with the fact that he was a rookie playing in his first games in the NHL.

His decisions were the worst part of his game as he made so many bad decision in each game and several of them ended in the back of our Net. In 9 games he has been a minus 4....with 12 giveaways! That is a boat load of give aways...considering we were playing well in most of those games. His ice time dropped a lot in his last couple of games before he was sent down, which I believe was best as he simply was not ready. He is not a physical D man nor an aggressive one, with his skill set he needs to step up his physical game as that may be his ticket to the NHL.

Where he will end up as a D man for us or any team is a guess, but mine is that he will be a NHL D man....not a starin the making and if he was traded I would not worry that he would be come anything special as that simply is not in the cards for him. His skating still needs work and when you couple that with his decisions that I saw him make in the short time he played in the NHL, I say he has a lot of work to do.

I also agree with johnny_rudeboy that Percy did not carry Granberg at all last season.

Not unusual to see young players start getting lost as veterans get up to speed.

Wasn't surprised he didn't stick, seemed to be getting a more exposed during those games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad