Stuart Percy development and progress

TheBlueJacket

Jul 31, 2012
How long do you think it will take Stuart Percy to make it to the NHL (if he even does)? What pairing line do you think he will most likely play on in his prime? What NHL defenseman does he mostly resemble? I haven't heard too much of this guy since he was drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
How long do you think it will take Stuart Percy to make it to the NHL (if he even does)? What pairing line do you think he will most likely play on in his prime? What NHL defenseman does he mostly resemble? I haven't heard too much of this guy since he was drafted.

Watched about 10 of his games in Mississauga in the last 3 years, he honestly reminds me of Gunnarson, a tad more physical, a bit more Offence, has some leadership qualities (hes been captain for 2 years) Can play him on the PK or PP

He wont make or break you offensively, but he wont screw you defensively.

My projection is he could be a good number 3-4 guy, if were lucky and his game translates well, then we could see him being a number 2 guy, and thats just because he doesnt have that flair that a number 1 guy has. Booming shot, huge hits, elite puck moving etc.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
A Dennis Seidenberg defenceman. Someone who is strong on his own end and can move the puck out of his zone well. If he can develop his strength ( particularly lower body), he's going to be a pretty interesting defenceman to watch. He's calm, stays on his man, and keep in simple so bit more strength will make him very consistent in the NHL level.

I think we start him in a bottom pairing role. He's one of the reasons along with Granberg, Finn, on why I don't think Gunnarsson is as required. Resign Phaneuf, Franson, Gardiner, and eventually bring Rielly up, and fill the bottom pairing with EL guys like Percy.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He actually looked better than Reilly to me. Very poised, but a cup of coffee at the end of the season only proves they are good for a streak. Give him a half a season with the Marlies and we can talk more. I honestly don`t expect him to spend a lot of time apprenticing. He iusn`t a big bundle of raw talent. Either he makes it after a season in the AHL or he doesn`t have it for the NHL.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
He actually looked better than Reilly to me. Very poised, but a cup of coffee at the end of the season only proves they are good for a streak. Give him a half a season with the Marlies and we can talk more. I honestly don`t expect him to spend a lot of time apprenticing. He iusn`t a big bundle of raw talent. Either he makes it after a season in the AHL or he doesn`t have it for the NHL.

Based on what? Your large experience as a hockey exec?

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Excited to see his first full season in the AHL, if he puts up the points then he's right on track. I'd say anything over 30 points would be a success, especially for a rook in the A.

TheBlueJacket

Jul 31, 2012
He isn`t a big bundle of raw talent. Either he makes it after a season in the AHL or he doesn`t have it for the NHL.

Don't defensemen take longer to develop than forwards? It seems to me you're implying that it doesn't take talent to defend or it isn't a talent that you can improve.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm a bit worried his skating will hold him back from being a top 4 guy, but in general i think he'll be a quick study and hit the nhl sooner rather than later.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He and Mark Psysk have similar abilities. Percy will take a year and half, at worst 2+ years in the AHL. Whatever the case is, let him play his game and see how much he improve, I still want more from him offensively. He's my jack of all trades king of none. He's IQ is beyond the roofs but he needs to do more in other aspects as well.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I want Percy to take as long as he needs, but the comparison to Gunnarsson is a very good one. He plays a very smart two way game. He probably has slightly better defensive awareness and better offensive potential as Gunner. Very excited to have him on our blueline when he eventually makes it to the NHL. No rushing this kid though.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
when i saw the marlies 2012 playoff games, and 1 in person, percy was the most mobile and smoothest skating defenseman on the leafs.

if he's like gunnerson, then he's a faster gunnerson with better decision making for passes and better at the long and breakout passes. he was noticeable on the marlies, but not dominant like a gardiner or kadri. his hockey i.q. is higher than average although his plays aren't as pretty as gardiners.
i agree with the seidenberg comparison, although seidenberg is better.

i see him as making anywhere from d4-6, and his ultimate potential is d2 (long shot), although on a stacked team he wouldn't be placed there.

with reilly and gardiner being the future offensive slots, it's not likely he'd be d1 or 3, and granberg might be ahead of him, defending guys like stamkos in the worlds.

he's an all around shut down defender with calm decision making and some offense. i see him topping out at getting 20 points max and a plus defensemen on a second or third pairing. i think nilsson from the reports is in the same mold.

he's a long shot to make it out of this coming camp, but it will take 1-2 more seasons in the ahl imo. he's mentally ready and has the tools, he just has to adapt more to the pace and get used to positioning and how to use his body against opponents higher than junior level.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Paul Martin was always a good comparison for his style. Nothing great but nothing bad in his game either. Keeps his game smart and simple.

He still needs more seasoning from what I saw but in about a year or two, he should be close to NHL ready I would say. Hopefully the injury woes are behind him though.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I think he only needs max 1 season in the A, especially because he has already had two experiences with the marlies already. He looks like a second pairing defenseman, I like the martin comparison. Percy is a good skater with great defensive IQ and first pass. Has average size though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Actually, I think he could potentially toil away in the minors for 4-5 years and then emerges as a defenseman who gets more mileage out of his smarts and experience than any raw skillset. Kind of like a Dennis Seidenberg as mentioned above. But I don't think that would be ideal for a first round pick, and if that were to happen the chances of us holding onto him that long might be less... of course we could always trade him too.

SteveV*

Actually, I think he could potentially toil away in the minors for 4-5 years and then emerges as a defenseman who gets more mileage out of his smarts and experience than any raw skillset. Kind of like a Dennis Seidenberg as mentioned above. But I don't think that would be ideal for a first round pick, and if that were to happen the chances of us holding onto him that long might be less... of course we could always trade him too.

Four or five years? That's funny.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Rielly
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Finn
Percy
Franson

In no particular order I suppose but if they all fully develop... We have a hell of a D core.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

For me I think he has a lot more smarts than most kids. I am not that sure about his physical package/strength. If he doesn't lose his game because of the size/strength difference in the NHL I don't think he needs as much seasoning. Just have to see about the strength. People talk about these young guys only needing to taking some skating or hit the gym, but most of them have been doing that their whole lives, and just don't have that much easy growth left. Most 21 year olds are a lot more developed than at 19. A year to get a bit stronger, and to be injury free, and I could see him on the big club. Thats if he's going to be a quality player and have a career. If he is only ever going to be a 6-7 guy, then I suppose he could be parked in the AHL for a while, but I think he is a lot better prospect than Holzer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad