Stuart Percy development and progress

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Hey guys ! I have some questions for ya on Stuart Percy.. coming from a habs fan !

I have to get a young and cheap defenseman in my hockey pool, and from what i've seen this year, Percy has been great for you guys !

-I wanted to know...is he getting some powerplay time ? If not do you think he'll get there soon ?

-I've seen he has a great offensive upside..what's your expectations for his offensive numbers this year ? Would he be a great pick for me ?

Thanks for answering ! Good for you to be counting on such good young defensemen in Reilly and Percy !

he is playing the pp. i don't expect more than 40 points. realistically, i'd expect in the 20-30 range but closer to 20.

if you pool is on points and no plus/minus, franson is a better pick. look at his stats last year and he's playing first line minutes.

if it's purely on points, theres a chance he could do better than rielly, but i'd bet on rielly.

if gardiner gets out of the doghouse, then i'd still pick him over percy. however, it looks like rc is insisting on mismanaging gardiner, so if you had to make a decision right now, i'd take percy over gardiner.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Hey guys ! I have some questions for ya on Stuart Percy.. coming from a habs fan !

I have to get a young and cheap defenseman in my hockey pool, and from what i've seen this year, Percy has been great for you guys !

-I wanted to know...is he getting some powerplay time ? If not do you think he'll get there soon ?

-I've seen he has a great offensive upside..what's your expectations for his offensive numbers this year ? Would he be a great pick for me ?

Thanks for answering ! Good for you to be counting on such good young defensemen in Reilly and Percy !

I'd go after Franson like the previous poster said.. He's only useful on the PP, Percy is having a high right now in the NHL. I'm not 100% certain that he will be kept on special teams all season.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
True, but when they played together in preseason, they were really good. That was my favourite pairing. They've been great on the PP as well.

i agree. it's more important to field an effective pairing than worrying if someone is on their natural side. if percy's effectiveness is slightly affected, it's a small price to pay to have a responsible d who can keep up with rielly.

Tyler Biggs*

Gotta love the decision making efforts of Percy creating from the back end. Hopefully Jake Gardiner is watching and learning a little bit of when to go and when not to go.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
The poise and decision-making of Percy is absolutely amazing. This dude's got an awesome head on his shoulders. Looks to be a great D-man in the making.

I definitely don't expect him to keep playing at this level all year though (would be ridiculous to think that), however I think we're getting a short glimpse of the kind of D-man we have in the making.

Great draft pick!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
remember, don't get too excited until he goes through his first slump.

right now he's clearly confident, making quick decisions, and they're working out well.

but slumps come for everyone, and let's wait and see how he deals with the bounces going against him for a while, and if that effects his confidence or quick decision making.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah let's remember it took Jeremy Williams like four years to stop scoring at a goal-per-game pace in the NHL.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I loved the Percy - Rielly pairing during the preseason. I think we should try it out again.

Phaneuf - Franson
Percy - Rielly
Gardiner - Polak
Robidas

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yeah let's remember it took Jeremy Williams like four years to stop scoring at a goal-per-game pace in the NHL.

It's Jeremy Time! One game at a time.:laugh:

I like that they took out Robidas, he even admitted he wasn't playing up to snuff, that's a true pro and teammate right there.

Now we have all the young guns back there with Phaneuf and Polak.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bryan Hayes ‏@HayesTSN 2m2 minutes ago
Just spotted my first Leafs Percy jersey. Like it.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
just loving these Percy articles. feels good when you hit a homerun in the draft like this.

Ontario boy to boot!

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
just loving these Percy articles. feels good when you hit a homerun in the draft like this.

Ontario boy to boot!

Gta boy on top of it and his favorite team is the Leafs(even before they drafted him).I hope DC has something to say about him on coach's corner this season.

Tyler Biggs*

Amazing what happens when you don't give away youth and draft picks. I really like the younger players on the Leafs, and hope they don't get traded away to shine on another team.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Think you got to get Percy back in.

Is he doomed to the AHL though regardless of play?

what are predictions on GP this year for Percy?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Amazing what happens when you don't give away youth and draft picks. I really like the younger players on the Leafs, and hope they don't get traded away to shine on another team.

But don't you see? Trading them is how you get moar draft picks that will become even better prospects!!

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Rielly-Percy pairing needs to be reunited. Why does Carlyle fail to see a good pairing when it happens? It's like he's doing it on purpose to put together the worst lineup he possibly can.

For example, Frattin making the team over Leivo... Holland making the team over Carrick... Franson over Loov...

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Rielly-Percy pairing needs to be reunited. Why does Carlyle fail to see a good pairing when it happens? It's like he's doing it on purpose to put together the worst lineup he possibly can.

For example, Frattin making the team over Leivo... Holland making the team over Carrick... Franson over Loov...

This all day.

Except Leivo was hurt to start, so that decision was already made for Carlyle.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

The Carrick decision is much more likely a management decision as they would have input on whether he is ready or not for the NHL. They probably deemed him ready, but cold still improve on his offense by playing another year in the AHL. In addition, they would've factored in having to trade Holland or put him in the pressbox and trade Ashton/Frattin. I understand where you're going, but all of those players could use more time to dominate the AHL. Loov obviously had talent, but was not adjusted to NA ice during preseason... That's why they wanted him in the AHL.

Anyways, I'd like our D-pairings to be:

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - Rielly

Try to even out the minutes as each pairing is capable of playing decent minutes. Right now we have a bunch of players playing like #2/3's which is great for the guys we expected to be in our bottom 4, but our top pairing could be better. Phaneuf hasn't been awful like some think, but he could improve and his partners have been our worst defensemen (Robidas and Franson). I trust Robidas to turn it around, I was done with Franson last year though.

Edit:

Or let one of Rielly/Gardiner free

Phaneuf - Rielly/Gardiner
Gardiner/Rielly - Robidas
Percy - Polak

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK

I agree with this fully except for Franson/Loov. I dislike Franson but at the same time he has the experience and that is something Loov lacks right now, he needs to improve and learn with the Marlies. If this was "next" year then, yes, but Loov needs more time.
With that said Rielly-Percy should really be given a longer look, at least a few games, I would love to see them grow together and form a Ducan Keith/Hjalmersson duo. (Yes, yes I know Hjalmerson doesn't play alongside Keith)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad