Strome or Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I agree. Hanifin looks like a near-generational talent to me. Strome may become a top line centre but I think his impact will be less. Now if we can somehow snatch Barzal by trading our assets, we'd go a long way.

You won't hear this often from me but I actually agree.

The Leafs should be looking at this draft as an opportunity to parlay their roster assets into at least one more first rounder, ideally one in the top twelve picks.

Barzal would be nice but I believe he's going top 7 which is a bit rich for what we have to trade.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
It's impossible for us to get better than 4th pick if we don't win the lottery, and I really doubt Edmonton passes up the opportunity to land a potential franchise defender. We're better off talking the Strome/Marner pick than hoping we get Hanifin. I do hope I'm wrong and we get him but... I just don't see it.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It's impossible for us to get better than 4th pick if we don't win the lottery, and I really doubt Edmonton passes up the opportunity to land a potential franchise defender. We're better off talking the Strome/Marner pick than hoping we get Hanifin. I do hope I'm wrong and we get him but... I just don't see it.
Same here. Hanifin seems like the #3 to me. He's that Lidstrom/ Suter-like hybrid that EVERY team wants. We're talking elite, approaching-generational #1.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hanifin dropping to 5th, would be similar to how Seth Jones dropped to 4th...the latter ranked Barkov and Drouin going ahead of him, who are comparable to Strome and Marner, and Hanifin is a Seth Jones caliber prospect but with more polish. Tampa should have taken Jones, imagine a Jones-Hedman pairing? Hanifin is perfect for Edm at 3 though, I can't see them passing him up...we have a difficult decision between Strome and Marner imho. It will be interesting to see how they perform head to head in the playoffs, some say it won't make a difference at this point, but don't forget in 2013 Seth Jones was ranked ahead of MacKinnon but Nate's memorial cup performance got him back to 1st overall.

YorkshireRose

Apr 9, 2014
Halifax, England
Edmonton picking at 3rd who have an abundance of forward prospects and a future 1st line big skilled centre in Leon Draisaitl. Edmonton will take Hanifin, who by all accounts is a franchise defenseman which they need.
We will take Strome because of his size, which despite some opinions is a massive factor in this league, leaving the canes, who already have good size down the middle, with Marner.

I dont think any of the teams drafting 3rd to 5th in this draft lose.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Edmonton picking at 3rd who have an abundance of forward prospects and a future 1st line big skilled centre in Leon Draisaitl. Edmonton will take Hanifin, who by all accounts is a franchise defenseman which they need.
We will take Strome because of his size, which despite some opinions is a massive factor in this league, leaving the canes, who already have good size down the middle, with Marner.

I dont think any of the teams drafting 3rd to 5th in this draft lose.

It does seem logical, but Edmonton has passed on high ranked D before. Nurse was the lowest (highest ?) pick they have had in years . Would not shock me one bit if they took Strome. If I was their GM I would want Hanifin but they seem to think differently than everyone else.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I finally voted Strome. Tough decision. But I think there are other D men later in the draft that can be as good or maybe even better than Hanifin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Now lets just hope the oilers don't screw up the plan on us :)

Bobby Mac seems to think the Oil need a D man more than a Center.

Drafting Draisaitl last year would seem to indicate this. They have Nurse on the way, if they add Hanifan(who is a great prospect IMO) and promote Draisaitl next year. They will have a young and upcoming core. But Strome is a great prospect too. If not we can take Hanifin and add him to Rielly. Win - win.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
we had better lose the next 2, or we may need to make a thread Barzal, or Provorov

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It does seem logical, but Edmonton has passed on high ranked D before. Nurse was the lowest (highest ?) pick they have had in years . Would not shock me one bit if they took Strome. If I was their GM I would want Hanifin but they seem to think differently than everyone else.
They haven't really passed on a high ranking D. Yak, RNH, Hall were the consensus #1 pick and last year Fleury was the only D option and he wasn't worthy of a top 3 (arguably top 7 even) pick.

If they can land Hanifin, I can't see them passing on him (outside the top 2 of course)

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
They haven't really passed on a high ranking D. Yak, RNH, Hall were the consensus #1 pick and last year Fleury was the only D option and he wasn't worthy of a top 3 (arguably top 7 even) pick.

If they can land Hanafin, I can't see them passing on him (outside the top 2 of course)

Jones comes to mind.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

If they can land Hanafin, I can't see them passing on him (outside the top 2 of course)

i agree with you guys. edmonton would have to be crazy to pass on hanifin for another center given the state their defense is in. the same argument can be made for toronto but we dont have nuge or leon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad