Strome or Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBrian

Jan 25, 2015
St. Louis
The leafs are probably going to get the 4th overall pick which (I'm banking on the coyotes to take Marner), which leaves toronto with Strome or Hanifin.... If you were in their situation, who would you take?***This isn't picking the "best player", but picking the one that will help the team the most**

lids19

Jan 29, 2008
The leafs are probably going to get the 4th overall pick which (I'm banking on the coyotes to take Marner), which leaves toronto with Strome or Hanifin.... If you were in their situation, who would you take?***This isn't picking the "best player", but picking the one that will help the team the most**

Arizona is going to finish 29th. If they lose on mcdavid and eichel than maybe marner but I still think they take hanny. Oel and hanny for a decade would be incredible. I still think leafs are drafting strome.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
... isn't taking the best player picking the one who will help the team the most?

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
BPA according to the scouts. But come on already, how many draft related threads to we need. I'd like to actually read threads Leaf related than reading about 18 year old kids all the time.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Scenario's are endless.
It all boils down to EDM to ARI and how they decide to draft at 3. (and possibly 4, pending lotto)

If Arizona is at 3 - they will probably sit for hours discussing the 3 players on their list. I think in the end they take Strome, even if Marner has London links to the team. That last push of pts will bring Strome into discussion - and there starve for a marque forward will keep them away from Hanifin.

If Edmonton is at 3 - They will be thinking about 2 players (Strome / Hanifin). I think with the amount of small skilled players - they stay away from Marner. At the end of the day, I think they take Hanifin.

My assumptions:

If drafting at 4(Percentage of Leafs pick):
Hanifin (45%)
Strome (45%)
Marner (10%)

If drafting at 5(Percentage of Leafs pick):
Hanifin (10%)
Strome (10%)
Marner (80%)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Easily Hanifin, I'll take the guy who should be a Keith, Petra, or hopefully Niedermayer in his prime over what I see as a Jason Allison or Spezza kind of player which is what I see in Strome.

Durkin67

If Hanifin is there, you take him, and you don't hesitate to move Gardiner, assuming he can be packaged for something you need up front.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Easily Hanifin, I'll take the guy who should be a Keith, Petra, or hopefully Niedermayer in his prime over what I see as a Jason Allison or Spezza kind of player which is what I see in Strome.

This is crazy talk. If you're going to see Hannifin at his ceiling then at least give Strome the benefit of the doubt to also reach his ceiling (Thornton/Kopitar and not Allison/Spezza).

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I don't really want to pick Hanifin and would rather take Strome BUT you really can't pass on Hanifin. He is for sure BPA. I'd rather just finish 4th and have the choice between Marner/Strome so we didn't have to pass Hanifin.

Again, I'd pick Hanifin but want a C more.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end it seems like this draft should come down to Hanifin, Strome, and Marner. If positions can stay relatively the same anyways.

Since I haven't seen enough of these guys I'd love to just base it on what I've read, but for anyone it feels like any time I read something positive about a guy there's a negative position to it.

Hanifin would certainly help boost the heck out of the blueline's future. Him and Rielly would have some strong skills for a position that's had some troubles.

Strome brings the size, skill and excellent center position that we've lacked since Mats left. That's tough to turn away from. Could create a lot of ease in having that part of the future potentially taken care of.

Of course odds are we won't have to make that kind of call and one of them (likely Hanifin) will go third so it will be a different choice. But if it does come down to these two....I won't mind either of them :).

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Hanifin. He's a franchise type defenseman. Can't have enough good defenders. Look at the Rangers, Jets, etc.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'd take Strome.

I think that young forwards are better than young defenders.

The defender has to be significantly better than the forward IMO... and I think Strome is exactly what we need.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'd take Strome.

I think that young forwards are better than young defenders.

The defender has to be significantly better than the forward IMO... and I think Strome is exactly what we need.

That's the thing though, Hanifin is significantly better then Strome IMO. There's a reason he's ranked 3rd by almost everyone. It's because he's not a franchise centre, but a franchise defenseman. Strome could be a #1, but I doubt he's a franchise type centre. Hanifin, Rielly going forward is an amazing start.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Chychrun will be better than Hanifin. Mark my words.

But at #3, I take Hanifin. I have them ranked Hanifin, Marner and Strome.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I thought people were picking Strome over Marner because of size. But I think it has more to do with Strome being a center/he fills the void for fans that Sundin left.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Do we have a big skilled center with a bomb of a wrist shot. Yeah I take strome easily. Not even a second thought. He is what we need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad