Strome or Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Of course not, but most prospects don't weight 165 lbs socking wet either, or have been given the reins over the course of a full season as a #1 center like Strome. Just because a prospect can play in the NHL, (Drouin and Ehlers are perfect examples) doesn't mean they should

Parts of their game that can be exposed is one part of it. Another is the context of the team.

You want to bring up prospects when they can be sheltered behind more established players, when you can put them on a line that protects them and plays to their strengths. I don't feel that is something we can offer at the moment.

Truth is right that each prospect's case should be handled individually. You want to bring players to the NHL when it's to their benefit, not because there are spots open and they could fill it. But you also shouldn't keep players down when the circumstances are right for them to step up.

Too many on these boards want to go to either extreme, in my opinion.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If it comes down to a decision of these 2. Harold Ballard couldn't mess this up. Picking Hanifan or Strome is essentially Idiot proof.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I haven't voted yet. This one is a real tough decision. You can't go wrong with either player but Leafs could go into a rebuild/tool with Hanifan and Rielly which is a great asset or Leafs could finally land their #1 Franchise Center in Strome.

Not as easy a decision when one thinks about it.

BTW I just realized this, I passed the 35,000 posts mark last night. Crazy amount of posts here.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I haven't voted yet. This one is a real tough decision. You can't go wrong with either player but Leafs could go into a rebuild/tool with Hanifan and Rielly which is a great asset or Leafs could finally land their #1 Franchise Center in Strome.

Not as easy a decision when one thinks about it.

BTW I just realized this, I passed the 35,000 posts mark last night. Crazy amount of posts here.

Congratulations!... I think :laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I'm trying to imagine what our team will look like next season. I'm thrilled that we'll be getting one of Hanifin, Strome or Marner. I think I'd rather see the Leafs take Hanifin as he'd fill a very tough place on our defence and hopefully slot in beside Rielly. If not, a 6'4 playmaking center or Matt Duchene/Claude Giroux type of center will do as well. Nylander was a step in the right direction last year. Let's keep moving forward into the future!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Thanks. I worked that out to approximately 24 posts a day over 4 years! That is astounding to me, didn't think my body of work would be that extensive. ;)

Quite a body of work. Easy to put up a ton of posts on game day or following your own threads/trade proposals. I may catch your post count in another 20 years or so :P

fabs11

Apr 5, 2015
Would have to say Hanifan. A guy with top potential on the back end would be perfect to have in our 6 with rielly. Hanifan a shut down defensman that we so desperately need(needed for the past 5/10 years) . only way i pick strome and mabye only way is if we can pick up a young shut down high ptoential d through trades ( possibly from nash)

CalgaryLeaf*

I have to admit that I'm hoping for Strome...It's very rare to get the opportunity to draft or trade for a #1 center.

That said,Hanifan might end up another level above Rielly. Scotty Bowman said last month that puck moving defenseman are a must have for Stanley Cup contending teams...He said they're a huge need in today's game and I agree.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
How is Hanifin losing this?

Hanifin could be an Ekblad type prospect.

Read this from future considerations

"The 2015 draft’s top defenseman…a smart and powerful two-way force… big, but very mobile... moves well with good speed and agility…uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play."

A stud do it all D.

I'd be happy with Strome and I picture us taking him, but thats because I don't see how Hanifin will slide past Edmonton.

bursilym

Jan 9, 2014
Hanifin AINEC. I rate number 1 d equal to number 1 c. Hanifin imo and according to most is a more sure number 1 d than Strome is number 1 c

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Based on????

From all I've heard, this would be ridiculous as the top 5 seems pretty established for this year.

Hockey IQ, Skating and the two-way game. Strome physically dominating junior players with his sub-par skating isn't necessarily going to translate to the pro game.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Hanifan is more of a sure thing than Strome, All around top pairing D-man. Strome has a problem with speed(although this is a very minor problem).

both could excel and become #1 guys, just that Hanifan is more likely to do so, so I'd pick him.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Hockey IQ, Skating and the two-way game. Strome physically dominating junior players with his sub-par skating isn't necessarily going to translate to the pro game.

You mean like it didn't translate for Tavares?

We'd be insane to go off the board in this top 5, it's like picking Brayden Schenn or Kadri over Duchene or Tavares.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Kane was 162 pounds when he was drafted and he made the jump right after being drafted.

And Yzerman was 155 lbs and made the jump right away too, picked #4 overall, finished 26th in the league in scoring. (That would be about 65 points in this era, something I could see him doing if he got lots of good ice time.)

Besides, we're not drafting a player for next year. We're drafting a player for the next 20 years. Marner is not going to play his whole career at 165 lbs, he's a skinny kid right who's only a few years past puberty and hasn't had time to fill out.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Patrick Kane had a far better season than Marner did

Patrick Kane was also six months older. Marner today is the same age Kane was at the very beginning of his draft year.

Six months is a very big deal at that age. Twelve months was enough for Marner to improve from 1.0 ppg to 2.0 ppg. That extra six months could be worth the 0.5 ppg that would bring him up to Kane's level. (Actually. Marner was scoring at a 2.5 ppg pace from Nov-Feb.)

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
You mean like it didn't translate for Tavares?

We'd be insane to go off the board in this top 5, it's like picking Brayden Schenn or Kadri over Duchene or Tavares.

Strome is no Tavares and there are far more players with skating issues who never get over it then there are who overcome and thrive in the NHL. When players go from Junior to the pros its a big shock for many to see how everyone is bigger, stronger and faster then what they are used to.

Someone should post a 5 year comparison of the top 10 Central Scouting Rankings vs. the actual draft results to see how "off the board" the real draft often is when they are using their own scouts to make selections.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Strome is no Tavares and there are far more players with skating issues who never get over it then there are who overcome and thrive in the NHL. When players go from Junior to the pros its a big shock for many to see how everyone is bigger, stronger and faster then what they are used to.

Yeah I'd be thrilled with Strome in any other draft, he's got good offensive skills, but I just don't see the elite skill he'd need to be on the same level as Sundin, Tavares, or Thornton. His play on the ice doesn't justify those comparisons nor do his junior stats. He seems more likely to be a 65 point 1C, kind of a less skilled version of Spezza or Lecavalier.

The under 25 players chasing top 10 considering will include guys like McDavid, Eichel, Tavares, Seguin, Tarasenko, Johansen ... don't see Strome having the skill to compete with that group. But Marner might be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad