• Miss the Playoffs

Results are only viewable after voting.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
After tonight..

18 home games left. Current pace at home is .522 which gives us 19 points
16 road games left. Current pace on the road is .680 which gives us 22 points

Based on above, assume 41 points over the final 34 games.

41 + 58 = 99 which is a .604 points percentage. Same overall pace they are on right now. Makes sense with such little variance in home and road games in the final 34 games.

That probably gets them DIV3 if all other teams remain on the current pace. Worst case could be looking at WC1 if Tampa picks up the pace.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I find it really hard to get too excited over individual achievements like this when the team has no overall success.

It will be a cool story, but honestly, I don't give a fck if they can't win a cup.
Agreed. I could care less how many goals he scores if they aren't winning.

After tonight..

18 home games left. Current pace at home is .522 which gives us 19 points
16 road games left. Current pace on the road is .680 which gives us 22 points

Based on above, assume 41 points over the final 34 games.

41 + 58 = 99 which is a .604 points percentage. Same overall pace they are on right now. Makes sense with such little variance in home and road games in the final 34 games.

That probably gets them DIV3 if all other teams remain on the current pace. Worst case could be looking at WC1 if Tampa picks up the pace.
I think they will finish 5 or 6 points higher than that, which for sure will be enough for third in the division. They will need Florida to stumble.

Reactions: wingman75

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All Star break is behind them and it's now downhill to the Post Season.

Leafs currently sit in the 1st Wildcard postion (25 14 8) but have a few games in hand on the Teams above.

NHL Regular Season Standings

View attachment 814872

Personally I've been disappointed by this season, obviously a Playoff run would change all that.
I still think they'll slide into the top 3.

Biggest needs over the final 35 games, secondary scoring.

This team can finish top 3 with or without a D upgrade. Hell, we could still finish with home ice without a D upgrade. It will be necessary though if we have any thoughts of making real noise in the playoffs though
Possible but highly unlikely .. like last night .. game set and match with a weak Isles forecheck on our D to lose game late .. we will see how many points get thrown away like last night .. i fear it will be more than most think .. hope i am wrong

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I think we're looking at a wildcard spot at this point. Probably not that bad a scenario, really.

Reactions: glue

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I find it really hard to get too excited over individual achievements like this when the team has no overall success.

It will be a cool story, but honestly, I don't give a fck if they can't win a cup.
This is the correct answer.

Reactions: wingman75

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
From now on the game's are going to get really tight, unfortunately for us we have more holes than the US border.

Dallas up next!

Change my mind!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
From now on the game's are going to get really tight, unfortunately for us we have more holes than the US border.

Dallas up next!

Change my mind!
Already proven to be true.

Just look at the last game. They played well overall. It was a tight game as you say and all the Islanders had to do was wait for the Leafs to implode, and not only did they do it once, but twice to give them the win.

That first PP was an absolute fiasco, and I am glad Keefe called them out for it.

The game winning goal shift was just as bad. Terrible pass to start, half-hearted play by Rielly (x2) and then they were pulling the puck out of their net.

Rare is the game where this team doesn't put in at least one shift to f*** over any good they might have done. Our goalies are not stealing (m)any games this season, so it is even more incumbent on the skaters to play clean games. Guess that is a lesson they haven't learned yet.

It's been this way since night one of this season, don't see any reason for it to stop now.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Already proven to be true.

Just look at the last game. They played well overall. It was a tight game as you say and all the Islanders had to do was wait for the Leafs to implode, and not only did they do it once, but twice to give them the win.

That first PP was an absolute fiasco, and I am glad Keefe called them out for it.

The game winning goal shift was just as bad. Terrible pass to start, half-hearted play by Rielly (x2) and then they were pulling the puck out of their net.

Rare is the game where this team doesn't put in at least one shift to f*** over any good they might have done. Our goalies are not stealing (m)any games this season, so it is even more incumbent on the skaters to play clean games. Guess that is a lesson they haven't learned yet.

It's been this way since night one of this season, don't see any reason for it to stop now.

Would be nice if everyone had a great game for once, it seems that at least 35% of our group can't get motivated at any given time.

Keefe might survive the season but I'm really sick and tired of his coaching.

Sink or swim.

Reactions: OddyOh and arso40

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
between wildcard and miss the playoffs

picked the latter given keefe is still doing the same trash that he has always done

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
We are trying to win, not place.
Thus season we should be sellers. Every one of our expiring contracts should be up for sale.
Never will Bertuzzi value be higher since his play is so bad teams can drop him if fails to help them. Same with Domi, Lily, Robertson, Sammy, Jones, etc etc
We can add good assets for off season development.
To continue on this path year after year is insanity.

Reactions: ToneDog

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Team is not running on all cylinders.

Goaltending is still suspect and always will be until Woll can show he is a true #1. Woll is probably going to take the net eventually, but that is a slow healing injury and he might not be his best even by playoffs. We cannot be considered a favourite to win a series with either Sammy or Jones as our starter.

The snot, grit, snarl has been lacking save a few bright spots like Benoit. It seems Reeves can only have one good game before becoming injured or a liability again. Bertuzzi has been an unmitigated disaster providing neither snot or scoring. Domi is what I thought he’d be, largely invisible but with short runs of impressive play, I can only hope he steps it up down the stretch.

The core has been good, but they can only do so much when you need 14 other players to pull their weight. Knies has been a Rookie, so I can’t be too hard on him. He’s having a Sophomore slump.

Defense has been better with Giordano back, sad but true, a 40 year old is our defensive rock on the defense. Rielly has been superb but Lily needs to produce more. Brodie has been his worst as a Leaf. McCabe has been very good though.

Need a third line that is hard to play against and contribute. Can the current players be coached to do that or do we move on from Robertson and get some help in a trade.

Secondary scoring with grit is what this team is missing.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They haven’t really been in a playoff race since the play in round, so at least there‘s some excitement around the team this year.

Goaltending is still suspect and always will be until Woll can show he is a true #1. Woll is probably going to take the net eventually, but that is a slow healing injury and he might not be his best even by playoffs. We cannot be considered a favourite to win a series with either Sammy or Jones as our starter.

The snot, grit, snarl has been lacking save a few bright spots like Benoit. It seems Reeves can only have one good game before becoming injured or a liability again. Bertuzzi has been an unmitigated disaster providing neither snot or scoring. Domi is what I thought he’d be, largely invisible but with short runs of impressive play, I can only hope he steps it up down the stretch.

The core has been good, but they can only do so much when you need 14 other players to pull their weight. Knies has been a Rookie, so I can’t be too hard on him. He’s having a Sophomore slump.

Defense has been better with Giordano back, sad but true, a 40 year old is our defensive rock on the defense. Rielly has been superb but Lily needs to produce more. Brodie has been his worst as a Leaf. McCabe has been very good though.

Need a third line that is hard to play against and contribute. Can the current players be coached to do that or do we move on from Robertson and get some help in a trade.

Maybe they should change the coach.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

Agree 100%, time to stop kidding ourselves. Let's just plan the early golf season, end the pain of failure, and spend time dreaming of 2024/25.
Too many of us are beginning to hate this team even if it contains some incredible players. We need coach, goaltenders, dmen and 3rd and 4th liners.
There is no possible way that Steeves, Cowan, Minten, etc could be worse than Domi, Bert, Reaves, Kampf etc.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Anyone still worried about this team missing the playoffs? The wildcard discussion can also be put to rest. At this point, I think it's just a matter of who has home ice between Toronto and Boston.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Anyone still worried about this team missing the playoffs? The wildcard discussion can also be put to rest. At this point, I think it's just a matter of who has home ice between Toronto and Boston.
Maybe not "worried", but it certainly is worth keeping an eye on the standings/schedule.

I mean BOS and FLA are near the top in terms of best teams. DET and TBL are not that far behind them...

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Yeah I’m not sure who would think this team was ever in danger of missing the playoffs

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think the rational ones are never concerned about missing the playoffs. More like how much damage can be done in the playoffs.

We had a lot of people thumping about 100% missing the playoffs last year too :laugh:

Regardless we still have to do well in the second half to get some sort of an advantage.

Reactions: Menzinger

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
2 Vegas, 2 Boston, a Colorado and a Rangers coming up. And let's not forget the Coyotes, they beat us every time, especially here. I think this stretch tells Treliving what to do at the deadline. I mean I don't think he's selling unless all those games are lost. Even then I don't think so. But this stretch to me says either tinker if it's not good or just ok. If it's good, then you think about maybe pulling off a big move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad