Post-Game Talk: Streak Busted! Jets win 4-1

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets-win-4-1-300x200.jpe

Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

Click here.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok we won mehhh hey we won a game meh losing streak cut yay i guess meh

God, the Canucks are so awful, and while we were the overall better team, it still came down to Pavelec having a great game because of 24027 defensive breakdowns?

Gawd.

Are the Canucks actually that awful or do I only feel that way because of seeing Central playoff teams four times in a row?

Probably both.

Negative:
Pardy bad.
Lowry making his best case why he'll never be more than a fourth liner.
Little soooo ineffective - effort and efficiency are different things despite both starting with 'eff'. Overall probably a "good" game but I expect much more.
Thorburn still stone hands. Useless in the top9.
Stuart - whatever, most posters know my opinion.
That one time fourth line (in the following referred to as "THE SHIFT") + StuTrou were on the ice. That can't ever happen. Atrocious.
Ehlers trying wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard to draw penalties. This is not Junior with its 16 minor penalties per game. You're also not playing for the New York Rangers.
Myers in the DZone - come on dude.
Almost all special teams again

Indifferent:
PerroDog - just meh, needs to find his game a bit.
Ehlers most of the time - just trying to do too much, dangling two guys doesnt always work, neither do no-look passes. Simplify your game just a bit.

Decent:
Wheeler - not as dominant as in previous games, still decent.
Stafford - yes. Could get some backlash, but I think so. Whenever he wasnt scoring goals, I noticed wayyy too many bad decisions.
Peluso - I guess he did what he was asked for, decent on the cycle, bad forecheck as usual, and he wasnt a liability except for THE SHIFT (he played a huge role in being hemmed into the DZone)
Copp - solid game, liked his forecheck, some good defensive plays, but THE SHIFT

Good
Enstrom - soooooooo ****ing smart. What would our defense be without him. So many great defensive plays. Yes, he got badly beat in a board battle that one time, and it lead to bad stuff, but he broke up so many plays.
Ladd - Ladd sighting! He's a player! Now keep it up.
Burmistrov - sooooo much better at 3C. Get rid of the strange turnovers and we have a real gud player here.
Trouba - good bounceback game. Now keep it up. THE SHIFT though...
Myers skating it out and into the OZone - if that was the only aspect of a DMan's game, he'd probably deserve a 7M+ contract
Ehlers when he actually generates offense - so dangerous. Now do it consistently and don't become Mason Raymond.
Pavelec - yep.
Scheifele - yep.

No clue: Byfuglien. Honestly, I have no clue where to put him.

Staff had a great game IMHO , I didn't see any major gaffes. 2G 1A, 8 shots on net. That gets a 'decent'?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Felt great watching the replay. Hopefully we can claw back some wins and get back on pace. Might be worthwhile keeping Lowry on the wing, for now at least. You think so?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Still think Ladd doesn't deserve to be on the 1st line, i think he is still hurt . Every time he goes to hit someone he turns his back to them and lets up on the hit , weird . And he is not shooting the puck like he usually did . Ehlers should play with Little and Wheeler , they can keep up to him and his speed . Ladd plays on the 2nd line with Sheif and Stafford and then we have the speed line of Perrault , Burmi and Petan .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Giving Maurice some credit for last night. Good job on the line juggles. Always like LLW together, but Ladd has fallen off a step from past seasons. I really wish there was a middle ground between losing/moving him and signing long term.

Scheif and Stafford play well together. They produced last season and clicked immediately last night. Stafford is predictable for Scheif and they cycle well together. And he can finish when given the opportunity. MP is a bit of a wild card, but he sure can make a nice pass from time to time.

I really liked Burmi's play last night. I think that is the 1st time I've said that this season. He has the speed to play with Ehlers and seemed to adapt well to Ehler's creativity. If Burmi adds a little finish to his game he will start getting points. What Ehlers can do with the puck is amazing. Once he gains some experience and maturity to his game every night he is going to be a treat to watch. Thorburn's style fit well with B-E but he has hands of stone and little puck sense around the net. He could have had a couple goals easy last night. Fix the wing with B-E you will see some scoring.

Also thought the 4th was fine. Lowry looked better and Copp belongs. Peluso also did his job. Still way too many breakdowns on D, but better then it has been. Pavs was really good. Nice to have NHL caliber tending for a game. Hope that continues.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The Jets that got waxed by Nashville a few days back would have lost last night for sure. Vancouver was bad but the Jets played way better than they have been. They were passing the puck and moving around much better.

Sadly, they've cancelled practice today so all the good momentum will be lost and we'll be back to sucking by Saturday. :(

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just happy there is a bit of joy in PGT Joyville again.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets that got waxed by Nashville a few days back would have lost last night for sure. Vancouver was bad but the Jets played way better than they have been. They were passing the puck and moving around much better.

Sadly, they've cancelled practice today so all the good momentum will be lost and we'll be back to sucking by Saturday. :(

Jets needed a break. They have had a brutal schedule so far this season.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Also thought Trouba had quite possibly his best game of the year.

Better puck management is still priority number one. Most of the breakaways and odd mans are happening because our forwards are turning the puck over in the worst possible spots, has almost nothing to do with defensive structure. Make like Evander Kane and throw it on goal from low percentage areas, that's way more effective than weak turnovers that go for big transition opportunities.

thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The Jets scored first and actually got a save from their goaltender in the first period. Falling behind nearly every game this season and having to chase the game was a big part of the "lost confidence" Last season the Jets played ahead or tied in the majority of games by scoring first and usually pretty early.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
DIdn't they cancel the practice before last night's game too?

Mostly I'm just being silly though, lol...

I'm pretty sure it's a CBA mandated day off. They have to have 4 per month. 2 at home and 2 on the road.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It's obvious that the Jets coach and GM both read HF Jets because they are doing exactly what was recommended here. And that's why they beat the Canucks.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I noticed that for the most part the PK started with Buff & Pardy rather than Trouba & Stu. A much better chance of clearing the puck after a won faceoff that way. Stuba still played PK but just not the opening faceoff.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I thought Thorbs was okay..............but if Petan was playing I could see where he would have had at least 1 goal, probably 2 and perhaps 3. I could see Petan going top shelf when Thorbs left all alone out front shot it into Miller's arm. With Petan's vision I could see him in perfect position for Ehler's pass from behind the net when Thorbs skated right into the crease and was not in position to receive anything. I could see Petan being ready for the cross crease pass from Burmi when the best Thorbs took a swing and a miss. Thorbs was okay, he skated hard and made a nice drop pass, but Petan could have made that line something special.

Yep, preaching to the choir. I'd love to see this as well. Maybe it works like we think or it doesn't. It would be a fun experiment to watch though.

Too bad that speed and skill are so unimportant in the NHL. :sarcasm:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
They played really well last night I felt. Breath of fresh air after that road trip. Defense seemed to hold the Canucks to nothing, minus maybe an odd man rush or two. Pavs played really well as well.

Didn't think Burmi had a great game.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Still think Ladd doesn't deserve to be on the 1st line, i think he is still hurt . Every time he goes to hit someone he turns his back to them and lets up on the hit , weird . And he is not shooting the puck like he usually did . Ehlers should play with Little and Wheeler , they can keep up to him and his speed . Ladd plays on the 2nd line with Sheif and Stafford and then we have the speed line of Perrault , Burmi and Petan .

He rang that one off the crossbar there - looked like a good old Ladd wrister.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He rang that one off the crossbar there - looked like a good old Ladd wrister.

Yes but way too infrequent , he needs to shoot more and work a little harder , he doesn't hustle like he did before the injury at least that's how it looks to me . What about Myers and Ladd for Hamonic and Okiposo , i don't think i spelled that right :laugh: Okiposo is a UFA next year like Ladd , maybe they would sign contracts with the teams they are traded to ... just a thought .

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
The 1st period was about as classic of Jets play as you can get. Heavy hitting. Peluso knocking the snot outa someone for messin' with our guys. Scrums around the net. Big Buff manhandling two dudes, one in each arm. A healthy serving of nasty Trouba. A half dozen Scheifele downs. Dumb penalties. A Wheeler breakaway. And heavy traffic in front of the net for a Scheif powerplay goal. All in front of a rockin' home crowd.

True North!

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Are you a Button Man?;)

205fssx.jpg

Like... a fan of his? I loved when he was hammered giving his assessments of the 2013 Hlinka tournament on TSN, and I was with him when he ranked Kyle Connor 6th in this year's draft... but I'm not sure what that has to do with me getting arrested? Could be that I'm thick and I should get what you're on about, but I don't....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad