Post-Game Talk: Streak Busted! Jets win 4-1

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Glad to see Stafford on the second line again. His skill set plays well with Scheif and Perreault. Also glad to see Lowry on the fouth line. He was put into a shut down role for much too long. You could tell he was just not ready for that responsibility about 5-10 games in. Fourth line played fairly well all game, but nothing spectacular.

The new third line of Ehlers - Burmi - Thorburn worked surprisingly well, but Thorburn just can't keep up That's not to say he had a bad game. Thorburn actually played extremely well. He just could not finish his opportunities.

I hate to admit this, but Pardy has looked much better than Postma or Chiarot so far his season. I doubt this will last long, but kudos to him for stepping up.

Myers.... what is wrong with him? He is handling the puck too much and is desperately trying to score a goal. You can see that he really wants that goal and it's hurting his game. He needs to take a step back, simplify his game a bit and regain some confidence. The goals will come naturally.

Everyone else had a good game, but I will say that this kind of effort won't beat most of the teams in the central. We need to tighten up defensively and not have to rely on goaltending night in and out to get us a win.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Also thought Trouba had quite possibly his best game of the year.

Better puck management is still priority number one. Most of the breakaways and odd mans are happening because our forwards are turning the puck over in the worst possible spots, has almost nothing to do with defensive structure. Make like Evander Kane and throw it on goal from low percentage areas, that's way more effective than weak turnovers that go for big transition opportunities.

Honestly I could do without seeing another blind drop pass for the rest of the season. Also no more toe drag before the wrist shot...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Good night, good win and don't have to wait up late for Whilee's postmortem!;)

Pavs was our best player and had to be.

PSS great ( hey Mo how did playing guys that played great together last year work out?)

Peluso needs a lot of credit for the win, don't discount his contribution tonight.

Burmi-Ehler's solid, Bumi needs some touch.

Old Trouba returns, Buff a monster, other D good, Pardy good on the PK, I'll be nice and not say much else.

Much needed win for players and coach (guys on HF Boards);)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Just facepalmed when I saw Thorbs fan on the wide open net.

They should try a Petan-Burmi-Ehlers third line just for ***** and giggles. Give them easy minutes and let them dance. That line would be lots of fun to watch, if nothing else.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Good night, good win and don't have to wait up late for Whilee's postmortem!;)

Pavs was our best player and had to be.

PSS great ( hey Mo how did playing guys that played great together last year work out?)

Peluso needs a lot of credit for the win, don't discount his contribution tonight.

Burmi-Ehler's solid, Bumi needs some touch.

Old Trouba returns, Buff a monster, other D good, Pardy good on the PK, I'll be nice and not say much else.

Much needed win for players and coach (guys on HF Boards);)

Confused-Gary-Payton.gif

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers.jpg

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Actually I think Thors straight line speed is pretty good, and he'll drive towards the net, and is able to put himself in decent scoring positions. It's just that he has like...horrible hands, and is not really capable of dangling or making tight turns, or otherwise pull off the play. Mind knows what to do...skill fails him.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I only got to see the 1st. I was too busy getting arrested. I thought we looked good in the offensive zone. Seemed like we had a bit more confidence with the puck. Did that keep up in the last 40?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
I only got to see the 1st. I was too busy getting arrested. I thought we looked good in the offensive zone. Seemed like we had a bit more confidence with the puck. Did that keep up in the last 40?

I wouldn't say it was a full 60. There was a big chunk of the second where they were getting out-possessed badly. But they pulled it back together in the end of the second and controlled the third.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Just what we needed. A good game from Pav. And some scoring coming from someone other then Wheeler and Little. Hopefully this kicks starts everyone.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I know he didn't have a huge role tonight but man I like the play of Andrew Copp. That kid is going to develop into one heck of a well rounded player some day.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
I know he didn't have a huge role tonight but man I like the play of Andrew Copp. That kid is going to develop into one heck of a well rounded player some day.

Maybe some day he'll become as good as Adam Lowry, franchise 3C :sarcasm:

side note: adam bb come back, any kind of fool could see, there was something, in everything about you.... Last year...

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Wait - what?

Crooked cops looking for a bribe. They're threatening to toss me in the can for a while, but they're really just out to get some cash out of my boss.
But now I can tell people not to mess around cos I've done time

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess I don't see what everyone saw in Pardy tonight. I thought he was awful and dragged Buff down. This is captured in his team worse -7 corsi on the night.

I liked our top 3 lines tonight, but we need to see someone better than Thor on the third.

I am also going to disagree about Myers. I liked that he was far more involved going forward tonight and thought he was solid defensively. You can tell that both him and Perrault are fighting a bit offensively as they both seem to be double clutching before shooting.

Good bounce back performance by Pavs.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I thought Thorbs was okay..............but if Petan was playing I could see where he would have had at least 1 goal, probably 2 and perhaps 3. I could see Petan going top shelf when Thorbs left all alone out front shot it into Miller's arm. With Petan's vision I could see him in perfect position for Ehler's pass from behind the net when Thorbs skated right into the crease and was not in position to receive anything. I could see Petan being ready for the cross crease pass from Burmi when the best Thorbs took a swing and a miss. Thorbs was okay, he skated hard and made a nice drop pass, but Petan could have made that line something special.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I missed the last couple minutes but looking at the EN goal, it looked like Scheif could have shot and plausibly completed the hat trick. Anyways, pretty good game, the new lines are looking good, finally Burmi is back at C and Lowry relegated, now hopefully Thorbs gets moved down as well (Petan move up?). Let's keep this streak alive next game!

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just saw the replay on Stafford's first goal. I don't know who was happier, Stafford or the fan who tossed his popcorn in excitement all over the person he is sitting next to.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Not a fan of Ehlers on the third line, I thought him and Scheifele had some good chemistry. Granted, nothing was really happening the last few games so I can see why he was moved. I'm fine with him with Burmi but Thorburn I am not. Would love to see Petan on the wing get a shot but that seems doubtful.

Pavs had a good game tonight, seemed really calm and didn't overreact to everything like he usually does. Not confident he will continue to play like that but I'll certainly praise him when he does.

Still a ways a way where I'd like this team to play but the last 2 games have certainly been improvements and hopefully they build on those and become more solid.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok we won mehhh hey we won a game meh losing streak cut yay i guess meh

God, the Canucks are so awful, and while we were the overall better team, it still came down to Pavelec having a great game because of 24027 defensive breakdowns?

Gawd.

Are the Canucks actually that awful or do I only feel that way because of seeing Central playoff teams four times in a row?

Probably both.

Negative:
Pardy bad.
Lowry making his best case why he'll never be more than a fourth liner.
Little soooo ineffective - effort and efficiency are different things despite both starting with 'eff'. Overall probably a "good" game but I expect much more.
Thorburn still stone hands. Useless in the top9.
Stuart - whatever, most posters know my opinion.
That one time fourth line (in the following referred to as "THE SHIFT") + StuTrou were on the ice. That can't ever happen. Atrocious.
Ehlers trying wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard to draw penalties. This is not Junior with its 16 minor penalties per game. You're also not playing for the New York Rangers.
Myers in the DZone - come on dude.
Almost all special teams again

Indifferent:
PerroDog - just meh, needs to find his game a bit.
Ehlers most of the time - just trying to do too much, dangling two guys doesnt always work, neither do no-look passes. Simplify your game just a bit.

Decent:
Wheeler - not as dominant as in previous games, still decent.
Stafford - yes. Could get some backlash, but I think so. Whenever he wasnt scoring goals, I noticed wayyy too many bad decisions.
Peluso - I guess he did what he was asked for, decent on the cycle, bad forecheck as usual, and he wasnt a liability except for THE SHIFT (he played a huge role in being hemmed into the DZone)
Copp - solid game, liked his forecheck, some good defensive plays, but THE SHIFT

Good
Enstrom - soooooooo ****ing smart. What would our defense be without him. So many great defensive plays. Yes, he got badly beat in a board battle that one time, and it lead to bad stuff, but he broke up so many plays.
Ladd - Ladd sighting! He's a player! Now keep it up.
Burmistrov - sooooo much better at 3C. Get rid of the strange turnovers and we have a real gud player here.
Trouba - good bounceback game. Now keep it up. THE SHIFT though...
Myers skating it out and into the OZone - if that was the only aspect of a DMan's game, he'd probably deserve a 7M+ contract
Ehlers when he actually generates offense - so dangerous. Now do it consistently and don't become Mason Raymond.
Pavelec - yep.
Scheifele - yep.

No clue: Byfuglien. Honestly, I have no clue where to put him.

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Burmistrov - Schief - Ehlers should be tried at some point.

The way Ehlers comes in on a 2 on 1 is crazy...he gives himself so many options

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad