Strangest Place You've Seen a Devils Player

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Figured I'd make this now, since it's the offseason, and it might be acceptable to mods (please delete if you think it's useless). I was inspired by another fan site (for Everton) that I was on. Anyone got any funny stories?

My sisters and I ran into Scotty Stevens and his wife at Target in Riverdale a few years ago. They prob saw us whispering to each other, and decided to break the ice nicely. The Mrs. ended up asking my sister and I for acne product recommendations for their son, before he went off to college. It was pretty funny

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Not really strange but I see players and coaches a decent amount since one is my neighbor and another lives in my town.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I saw Marty outside a Caldors way back when. Was getting out of his Mercedes two door sporting a pair of Z. Cavaraccis.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
saw Dano one night a few years ago sitting on the steps in the NJ Transit area of Penn Station

see, i always wonder if a player of that level of fame gets regularly recognized in areas like that. i assume most people just kind of passed by him?

Post game? If so I would think Devil fans would notice him.

Otherwise I imagine he enjoys a fair amount of anonymity.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Not unusual, but used to see players at Dano's old restaurant back in the day.

More unusual, bumped into Mike Milbury in Disney World at an ice cream joint. And met the Great One at my hotel in Toronto just after NJD was ousted in 99 by PIT, and PIT went on to open round two in TOR that weekend. I'd been in OTT on business and was taking in the HHOF as part of my trip. Nothing like starting the HHOF trip by shaking hands with 99 (overlooking his Devils slight for one night).

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
The season we brought Jacques Lemaire back, I almost literally bumped into him as he was entering the Shop Rite Liquors in Caldwell. He had his head down and seemed to not want to be noticed, and I didn’t even recognize it was him until he had past me. Looked like any other old guy heading in for his whiskey.

Reactions: New Jersey

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Not unusual, but used to see players at Dano's old restaurant back in the day.

More unusual, bumped into Mike Milbury in Disney World at an ice cream joint. And met the Great One at my hotel in Toronto just after NJD was ousted in 99 by PIT, and PIT went on to open round two in TOR that weekend. I'd been in OTT on business and was taking in the HHOF as part of my trip. Nothing like starting the HHOF trip by shaking hands with 99 (overlooking his Devils slight for one night).
It was called Mezzanote or something like that right?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
see, i always wonder if a player of that level of fame gets regularly recognized in areas like that. i assume most people just kind of passed by him?

it was during the summer so he wasn't there for a game or anything

yeah, no one noticed him. He was just looking down at his phone.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The season we brought Jacques Lemaire back, I almost literally bumped into him as he was entering the Shop Rite Liquors in Caldwell. He had his head down and seemed to not want to be noticed, and I didn’t even recognize it was him until he had past me. Looked like any other old guy heading in for his whiskey.
As a hockey guy he should know better.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Around 2006-2007 I'm sitting at home when my buddy texts me, "Guess who is here right now??"

My mind first goes to a Devils player and I reply back, "Scott Stevens?"

"Close, Dano is here right now eating breakfast."

My buddy was waiting tables at Jefferson Diner where we grew up and lived at the time. He didn't wait on Dano's table but clearly saw the big, bald, lumbering legend of New Jersey hockey sitting in a booth with another gentleman in the corner. I ended up going to the diner and waiting at the counter with a cup of coffee until he finished his meal as I didn't want to interrupt. My buddy and I then went up when they were paying at the cash register, both unprepared with what we exactly were going to say. My waiter freind stammered out something like "Your awes... Your the Man!" I managed to say something to the effect of, "Been a fan my whole life and I just wanted to say thanks for playing in New Jersey." We both shook his hand and he gave back a very gracious, "Thanks guys."

Cool experience.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Jamie Langenbrunner at Ramsey Outdoor in Ledgewood. Don't even think that store exists anymore in that location.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
not a strange place per se, as it was during the draft party when we got nico, but it was a trip drinking and conversing with grant marshall for like a half hour with a few other fans. he even bought us some shots. he's a good guy.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Henrique and Fayne at Texas Arizona well after a game in 2013. I was sitting at the bar wearing a devils shirt just paying attention to the girl I was with when Adam came over to order another round. He looked down I guess and just said "hey man, nice shirt." I just said thanks man and gave a quick glance, then did a triple take as he stood there sort of smirking. Bought him a bud light and thanked him for the series winning goal when Mark steps in and says "hey, I was on the ice too!"

Adam was a nice dude and retreated to his girl. My girl was not too happy that I was more interested in these "random" dudes than her on our first date and cordially excused herself from the premises. Had a few more with Mr. Fayne and bounced.

I'm not the starf*cking type, but that was pretty chill.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bryce Salvador in my company's cafeteria. Not that strange, a lot of Pro players come through my work, mostly NFL, but not many sitting at a table in the lunchroom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad