Strangest Place You've Seen a Devils Player

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
I saw Salvador twice in two weeks this spring. First time was at a pizza place in Bridgewater and the second was at Bar 9 in Manhattan at a dueling pianos show. My brother bought a Jeep from Tommy Albelin. Marty used to go to the Reservoir in South Orange every Monday during the off-season and the last lockout. My friend used to serve Scott Stevens at the Starbucks in Livingston all the time.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I ran into Paul Martin at a lake bar a few days before he left NJ.

I had a Devils hat on and simply told him it would be great if he stayed but good luck no matter what you choose.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Can we re-title the thread to places you've met a Devils player? None of these places are really that strange.

Anyway, I met Palms 3 years ago at Daveys in Montvale. Really nice guy, shook his hand and even got a pic with him.

I ran into Lou Lamoriello at a vomitorium in Ancient Rome. The Romans had made him Generalus Managerius of the legions. I asked him about the recent change in siege warfare but he told me they’d stick with ramparts and catapults. Even then he was old school.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Met Gomer at a NJ gym the last summer we took him back on a tryout.

Met Marty at a Starbucks in Fairfield during the playoffs back in his prime.

Met Dano way back when his kids were young and his wife at the time Italian restaurant at lunchtime in West Caldwell.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I ran into Lou Lamoriello at a vomitorium in Ancient Rome. The Romans had made him Generalus Managerius of the legions. I asked him about the recent change in siege warfare but he told me they’d stick with ramparts and catapults. Even then he was old school.
I joke that went too far, kept going, and became funny again. I give thee credit.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Saw Zubrus in the Newark airport back when he was in his prime with us. Talked to him for a bit. It was early in the summer and he was flying back to Lithuania to meet up with his wife and kid.

My friend and I saw Zajac many years ago at the Garden State Plaza... he was walking around a bit and went into a bookstore (Barnes and Noble?) We pretended like we were just walking along and said hello when he exited the store. Told him we were huge Devils fans and we were happy to meet him. He seemed surprised to be recognized and that we knew who he was.

Not that weird but I went to Patrik Elias’s hockey camp at the ice vault 2 summers in a row. Great experience and he had a lot of good guests come out too. Obviously a great dude, very nice and happy to be there.

I met a ton of players when I was a kid back in the Brendan Byrne Arena/CAA days. My parents had the gold circle tickets I think it was called? Dinners with the players and everything. Have a photo of Marty holding me with a huge grin when I was like 6 or 7 years old.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Saw Zubrus in the Newark airport back when he was in his prime with us. Talked to him for a bit. It was early in the summer and he was flying back to Lithuania to meet up with his wife and kid.

My friend and I saw Zajac many years ago at the Garden State Plaza... he was walking around a bit and went into a bookstore (Barnes and Noble?) We pretended like we were just walking along and said hello when he exited the store. Told him we were huge Devils fans and we were happy to meet him. He seemed surprised to be recognized and that we knew who he was.

Not that weird but I went to Patrik Elias’s hockey camp at the ice vault 2 summers in a row. Great experience and he had a lot of good guests come out too. Obviously a great dude, very nice and happy to be there.

I met a ton of players when I was a kid back in the Brendan Byrne Arena/CAA days. My parents had the gold circle tickets I think it was called? Dinners with the players and everything. Have a photo of Marty holding me with a huge grin when I was like 6 or 7 years old.

I think alot of hockey players (outside of Canadian teams) seem surprised when they get recognized at random places. I've only met islanders when they practiced in syosset a block from my house. Richard park was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Dipietro was the biggest asshole ever always cutting people off in his yellow hummer (during his 20 game healthy stretch on the team) and just having a douche attitude towards people and kids around town.
I know hes not a hockey player but I met John amaronte (rangers anthem singer) in Plainview li. Him and his wife were nothing but nice each week that I saw them (when I shopped at shoprite before work). Ironically he wore the wig to the garden, but not while shopping, only wearing a rangers hat. May he rip.
My brother met messier at a police dinner (got the invite from my friends dad who was being honored). He was young at the time but had a good time so I guess hes not a bad person off ice.

I went to hs with Howie Rose's daughter, so I saw him a few times.

Sonny Milano is my friends cousin, I've met him at parties/bbqs before.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think alot of hockey players (outside of Canadian teams) seem surprised when they get recognized at random places. I've only met islanders when they practiced in syosset a block from my house. Richard park was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Dipietro was the biggest ******* ever always cutting people off in his yellow hummer (during his 20 game healthy stretch on the team) and just having a *****e attitude towards people and kids around town.
I know hes not a hockey player but I met John amaronte (rangers anthem singer) in Plainview li. Him and his wife were nothing but nice each week that I saw them (when I shopped at shoprite before work). Ironically he wore the wig to the garden, but not while shopping, only wearing a rangers hat. May he rip.
My brother met messier at a police dinner (got the invite from my friends dad who was being honored). He was young at the time but had a good time so I guess hes not a bad person off ice.

I went to hs with Howie Rose's daughter, so I saw him a few times.

Sonny Milano is my friends cousin, I've met him at parties/bbqs before.
Oh wow. This post just reminded me of my run-in years and years ago. I can't believe I forgot.

One summer I saw a bunch of local cops playing street hockey in a parking lot. Knowing a couple of them, they invited me to join in. One guy was just kicking everyone's ass. It wasn't till we were done that I was introduced to him. The guy was Kirk Muller.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I think we all have failed at this thread for not mentioning this earlier...

Martin Brodeur... in St Louis

well then, if were gonna play that game…… :(

81%2Bwo30ZeFL._SX355_.jpg

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I just saw Scott Gomez in first class of my flight home from Seattle this morning. Shook his hand and said "Scotty, my pleasure".

As soon as I said that everyone heads perked up "Ohhhhh, whose that..??"

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Met Marty and Kovalchuk on the street outside a bar in Nashville.

Saw Daneyko and Chico on flights a couple of times...which isn't weird.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Most of my interactions have been with Sabres players because I lived in Buffalo for so long, but I did meet Briant Gionta and Zach Parise. They both came to Buffalo to do autograph sessions at a hockey outlet called Great Skate like a month apart in the Summer of 2010. Both were very nice, but Gionta was more friendly. He took a minute to chat everyone up and seemed really happy to be there (granted he is semi-local). Parise was polite, but it was more of a 'here's your signature, now on to the next guy so I can get out of here' kind of vibe.

I met Pat Kane out at a bar in Buffalo, he was as much of a colossal d-bag as you can imagine.

I met Zemgus Girgensons at a different bar during his rookie season (when he was 19). Dude was trashed. He hopped behind the bar and grabbed a bottle of vodka, then he went around to strangers and topped off everyone's drinks with pure vodka.

One time I volunteered to hand out 50/50 tickets. It's through the Sabres alumni foundation, and my school said that if we volunteered to do it they'd give us free ticket to a future game (which was horseshit, we didn't even get to stay and watch the end of this game). But we all got to meet Larry Playfair, former Sabre and head of the Sabres alumni foundation, who was a riot. Coolest old guy I've ever met. He told me if I ever meet anyone I don't like to give him a call and he'll kick their ass for me.

Then I was out at a bar in Hamburg and met Pat Kaleta, who was very nice to me but was very clearly a douche as well. He bought a case of Blue Light and was just handing them out to random people, including my group of friends. He spent the whole night trying to hook his scrawny cousin up with some smoking hot girls who weren't into it at all.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
When the Devils were in Ottawa for their second-round playoff series in 2007, when my wife and I were in line for tickets at the Kanata theater complex (AMC Theaters then) four largeish men came in and lined up for tickets the next line over. I recognized Brodeur and Gomez immediately. Then Elias, and Colin White. I'm not one to actually approach and talk to 'celebrities' just trying to be private citizens in public places so my wife and I just bought out tickets to "Hot Fuzz" and entered the theater. Last we overheard, Brodeur was trying to convince the others to go to "Kickin' It Old Skool".

Maybe if they chose the right comedy that night they'd not have lost that series. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->