Strangest Place You've Seen a Devils Player

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I saw Marty @ the 15th hole on Bethpage Black.

I met Dino Ciccarelli during a lightning delay in central Florida, and wound up playing the final 6 or 7 holes with him. Good swing.

I saw too many players to name when I was a STH & used to post-game at BCBG. Eating post-game at the joint across the street from the arena is something players cant sanely do in Canada.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i was playing guitar and singing at a restaurant in hoboken a couple years back, and andy greene came and sat at the bar. i promptly took a break, and talked to him for the entirety of it (roughly 30 min).

i didn’t mention i knew who he was, he was wearing a detroit tigers hat so i kinda started with that as an opening line.

he was asking me a bunch of music questions, and wound up giving me a $25 tip in my case and even came in the next saturday with his family to catch some more live music. such a nice guy.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Devils-related:
-Chico in the bathroom at the rock
-Both Stevens and Daneyko at the same diner (on separate occasions)
-John Madden at a restaurant after a game I attended (forget where the restaurant was)

Non-Devils:
-Mark Streit on an Amtrak train
-Several NHL GMs at a fishing lodge in BC (Sather, Chiarelli, Nonis, Burke)

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Claude Lemieux at DFW on the train between terminals. It was a few years after his comeback with the Sharks. Did a double take when I saw him standing right across from me. He ignored the first ‘Claude?’ but reluctantly acknowledged me after the second. Told him I was a huge Devils fan and thanked him for 95 to which he responded ‘you were old enough to remember that’? :laugh:

That’s all I had time for before I got off at the next stop. I had 3 hours to kill before my connecting flight to Hawaii... wish I could’ve crushed a few beers with him although he didn’t seem like he would’ve been all that interested. Would have loved to ask him his opinion on Marty vs. Roy since he played in front of both

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Me - saw Marty shopping alone at a GameStop a few days before Christmas in the late '00's, but didn't really get to talk much with him (he was on the phone too). One of my friends randomly saw Bryce Salvador at the airport a few months back when she and her fiance were going to Japan.

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
Met zubrus at a Montreal impact game. His son is a big soccer fan. He was surprised someone recognized him but agreed to a picture since I was a Devils fan.

Reactions: New Jersey

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
had to chime in on this.
I've seen Colin White multiple times at The Hat in montclair.
Was at at the dog track in west palm beach by the airport few years ago and saw pandolfo.
I've not only met Tony Romano (though never really a devil) but know many people he grew up with and have drank with him few times in LI
Saw santini at the New Rochelle train station

and finally my favorite story ever.. was stuck in traffic on the cross island parkway getting onto the throggs neck. dead stop traffic. all of a sudden I turn to the left and there is Brylin sitting in traffic. Now, sergei is my favorite devil of all time. 18 is my fav number because of him, etc..etc...So i was freaking out at the time. My buddy who was in the car with me encouraged me to waive at him. So i roll down my window and scream "SARGE!!?!?!" thinking maybe its just a guy that looks like him.
Nope...was him. He rolls his window down and goes "I am Sarge!"
told him he was my fav player ever and i loved him and appreciated everything he's done for the team and coaching etc...
He laughed alot, but unfortunately the traffic wasn't moving and we kind of sat there awkwardly until we moved. I was a little embarassed so i changed lanes before the bridge ramp. he probably noticed since we basically were right next to one another down the parkway for several exits. he knew...he saw me. i hope he knows how much that meant to me, oh well.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Henrique and Fayne at Texas Arizona well after a game in 2013. I was sitting at the bar wearing a devils shirt just paying attention to the girl I was with when Adam came over to order another round. He looked down I guess and just said "hey man, nice shirt." I just said thanks man and gave a quick glance, then did a triple take as he stood there sort of smirking. Bought him a bud light and thanked him for the series winning goal when Mark steps in and says "hey, I was on the ice too!"

Adam was a nice dude and retreated to his girl. My girl was not too happy that I was more interested in these "random" dudes than her on our first date and cordially excused herself from the premises. Had a few more with Mr. Fayne and bounced.

I'm not the starf*cking type, but that was pretty chill.
As open on social media and in the public as Rico was, it is remarkable I have never seen him in a picture with a female

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
A couple friends and I bumped into Niedermayer, Rolston, and Kevin Dean at a Chili's after a game many, many years ago (I think it was their first or second years in the league). We didn't want to bother them at dinner, but as we walked by they noticed we were wearing Devils gear and stopped us.

As I shook each player's hand I said greeted them by name... "Scott Neidermayer"... "Brian Rolston"... "Kevin Dean"... and as I said Dean's name, I heard him mutter under his breath (almost with relief) "thank you". He was brand new in the league and I don't think anyone else had recognized him. In fact, we used to call him Kevin "Healthy Scratch" Dean.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
As open on social media and in the public as Rico was, it is remarkable I have never seen him in a picture with a female
I have no idea what their relationship was, but they seemed pretty engaged in the convo and content to be alone.

I never understood young, attractive, rich, athletes getting married young. But its takes all kinds I suppose.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Can we re-title the thread to places you've met a Devils player? None of these places are really that strange.

Anyway, I met Palms 3 years ago at Daveys in Montvale. Really nice guy, shook his hand and even got a pic with him.

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
All in Hoboken - saw Rico, Palms, Kinkaid, and Lars at the bar in Biergarten a few years ago

Palms had a table with what looked like all his boys from home - spoke with Lars for a few minutes, funny guy

Kinkaid was also right behind me in line one afternoon at Fiore's and walked by Hallsy near Basiles

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My dad met Sergei Brylin in a Starbucks somewhere in central NJ in the early 2000s lol.

That reminds me of a popular NJDevs board meme which originated when someone spotted Lou at a Panera's a while back.

Can we re-title the thread to places you've met a Devils player? None of these places are really that strange.

Anyway, I met Palms 3 years ago at Daveys in Montvale. Really nice guy, shook his hand and even got a pic with him.

Arguably anyplace outside of the arena or a STH/team function (i.e. a random encounter) is strange lol

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Well, there was this one time I was elk hunting in northern Manitoba and we had been sitting in this frozen perch for what felt like days. When all of a sudden my partner signals to me that he actually has a moose in his sights. I proceed to pull out the binoculars to get a better view of the shot but can't see much as the lenses had frosted up. As the beast lumbers nearer I draw my rifle and peer though the scope. With the formidable creature drawing closer, and with the anticipation of the kill almost overwhelming me, I hear my friend cock his shotgun.

Not a moment had passed when the animal came in to full view. And there it was, in all of its majesty, glistening in the Canadian sun. A bare chested, pantsless, Johan Hedberg.

With the reflexes of a minx I grab my friends shotgun and attempt to coax the naked creature over by playing rock n roll part 2 - his widely accepted mating call - at full force through my vuvuzela. Much to our delight this sound was completely irresistible to him and he advanced towards our tree.

Upon greeting us he proceeded to snap another tree in half and ignite a fire with his feet. We enjoyed a wonderful feast of wolf's bowels and fermented seal toes until well past dusk while lamenting about the cultural lexicon known as Newark, NJ.

When we arose from our slumber, the ferocious yet precarious mammal was nowhere in sight. Counting our blessings that he perhaps had a more desirable food source in his midst we packed up camp and made the arduous journey back to Hazlet.

Last edited:

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
When we arose from our slumber, the ferocious yet precarious mammal was nowhere in sight. Counting our blessings that he perhaps had a more desirable food source in his midst we packed up camp and made the arduous journey back to Hazlet.

something about the delivery here almost made me spittake coffee at my desk just now :laugh:

perhaps he's just a good guy who doesn't want to call any attention to his ladyfriends :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->