Online Series: Stranger Things (A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Just finished s3.

So Hopper went through the gate, right?

Im not convinced that the machine disintegrated people there. Possibly teleported them to the site where the Russians discovered the Upside Down in the first place. I think most people are in agreement that he’s not really gone though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Im not convinced that the machine disintegrated people there. Possibly teleported them to the site where the Russians discovered the Upside Down in the first place. I think most people are in agreement that he’s not really gone though.
Isn't that what's suggested? The guard says 'not the American' and proceeds to feed another inmate to the demogorgon.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I feel like the explanation will be that whatever hopper did when he pushed that russian into the machine caused a field to shoot out that protected him from the disintegration blast. He most like got pushed off the platform though.

Probably a stupid theory, but whatever.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I finished season 3 last night. I really enjoyed this season. I really liked the mall setting
It's a great place for the 80s references, but how they integrated that into the plot was very well done.

I think they hit the right tone throughout the series. They took the plot seriously, but they had the right level of humour throughout. I think the character groupings worked really well,with the Scoop Troupe usually being the most interesting.

I really hope they have a strong fourth season and consider ending it there. The show did a good job at giving the kids personal issues that are appropriate for their current ages, but I think they've got one more kick at the can before they are too old for the original concept.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I finished my rewatch and Dacre is simply a treasure. He needs awards for his performance in this season.

Showing signs of the true Billy, telling El that they’re coming for her and her friends as he’s controlled but showing humanity behind it all by letting a single tear roll down his cheek was a phenomenal touch that I missed on the first watch. The sauna scene. There was an intensity and aura in all his scenes this season, even more so than in the second season which he still possessed even if he was more of just a typical bully but with a shitty father behind it all more so than being controlled by the flayer.

I hope we continue to learn more about his background in season 4 with flashbacks through Max as the relationship with Lucas progresses. He talked in interviews a lot about humanizing the villain in this season, which worked because of his phenomenal acting and getting a better understanding of his backstory and that all he ever really needed was someone to love him (maybe what he saw in Karen?; while also saving her by telling her to stay away before he lost complete control). I’d love to see flashbacks where we can see Billy wasn’t actually racist towards Lucas, but was simply trying to protect Max and Lucas from his father or something.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I finished my rewatch and Dacre is simply a treasure. He needs awards for his performance in this season.

Showing signs of the true Billy, telling El that they’re coming for her and her friends as he’s controlled but showing humanity behind it all by letting a single tear roll down his cheek was a phenomenal touch that I missed on the first watch. The sauna scene. There was an intensity and aura in all his scenes this season, even more so than in the second season which he still possessed even if he was more of just a typical bully but with a ****ty father behind it all more so than being controlled by the flayer.

I hope we continue to learn more about his background in season 4 with flashbacks through Max as the relationship with Lucas progresses. He talked in interviews a lot about humanizing the villain in this season, which worked because of his phenomenal acting and getting a better understanding of his backstory and that all he ever really needed was someone to love him (maybe what he saw in Karen?; while also saving her by telling her to stay away before he lost complete control). I’d love to see flashbacks where we can see Billy wasn’t actually racist towards Lucas, but was simply trying to protect Max and Lucas from his father or something.

His performance was great, and I think you've made a convincing argument that he should be getting Emmy consideration next year. But I'd stop short of giving him much back story in the future. I don't think we need to know more about him. He was a a jerk with a bad upbringing, but he was still a jerk.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not sure if this is spoiler or not so I'll keep it hidden

I kept expecting those kids that had powers like 11 from season 2 to show up. Is that going to go somewhere?

God I hope not. That episode was so bad and seemed like it was from another show. It's the biggest reason season 2 is clearly below the others IMO.

Really enjoyed this season. It's pretty incredible that this show is as good as it is now in season 3. Child actors can age really badly and the nostalgia of the first season can get old over time. I think the degree of difficulty is pretty high, but they really pulled it off.

Reactions: discostu and td_ice

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Just finished season 3 and it was great. This series is s good in terms of pace, music and visuals. I love 80s music and the only other show that I can think of that managed to get it so right is in some episodes of Supernatural.
Starting with the day of the dead reference in the beginning and then having them chased by literal zombies later. The Russkies angel was great (but why are they wearing uniforms in the middle of the US). In terms of actors Harbour and Wiona Ryder are my favorites but I really enjoyed Billy in season 2 and thought he was awesome and felt cheated that I didn't get a season of Billy kicking demon ass. Yes he is portrayed as a bully but I never thought he was racist , just that he was trying to protect Max from the dad. Instead I saw the dude that when I was growing up during the 80s was the quintessential man- mustache, muscles music and car.
I also felt for Steve when he got shut down again with a girl that he likes but he is turning more in to a comic sidekick than an actual hero.
How did they justify for Joyce moving her entire family at the end? I understand that staying there must have a lot of bad memories but at the same time they have a lot of support as well. Felt weird and Jonathan seems old enough to find a place of his own or to move in with Nancy .
I am very glad that 11 is not as powerful /lost her powers because the constant , OMG the monster, Russians are gonna kill them followed by 11 coming in from nowhere and saving the day.
Looking forward to season 4- the kids have gotten taller (Mike and Will especially).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
They probably can't stretch this show out much further. The kids are already getting older. If they do another season, I would have to imagine it's the final one.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
They probably can't stretch this show out much further. The kids are already getting older. If they do another season, I would have to imagine it's the final one.

Honestly, I think the point they’re at is a pretty good point to end it. Although now that there’s questions about you know who’s fate, I guess one more isn’t bad.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'd imagine they'll do a final season in 2-3 years, when the characters are about to head for college. Except of course for Dustybun who for some reason decides to go work at the same place as Steve (who now runs it instead just working). Maybe do a longer season but split it in half, 6+6?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd imagine they'll do a final season in 2-3 years, when the characters are about to head for college. Except of course for Dustybun who for some reason decides to go work at the same place as Steve (who now runs it instead just working). Maybe do a longer season but split it in half, 6+6?
They’re filming season 4 in October.

I’d imagine another 1.5-2 years until it’s released.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I get the various tropes and what not, but I really wanted to know how the Russians managed to bring over the materials, machinery and personnel for the facility, and then build said facility, which is likely one of the expansive and sophisticated underground labs in the world, without the highest funded intelligence agencies in the world not catching a sniff of it, that is until a bunch of 13-15 somethings stumble on to it.

Reactions: tacogeoff

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I get the various tropes and what not, but I really wanted to know how the Russians managed to bring over the materials, machinery and personnel for the facility, and then build said facility, which is likely one of the expansive and sophisticated underground labs in the world, without the highest funded intelligence agencies in the world not catching a sniff of it, that is until a bunch of 13-15 somethings stumble on to it.

There's a jump in logic there for sure, especially when it comes go the tunnel, but, I actually think a shopping mall is actually a brilliant cover. It's the types of big capital structure that would get built in a community like that. It's disguises the foot traffic in and out.

It does require belief that the Russians can pull off a large scale covert operation on US soil, which is the baseline for a movies like Red Dawn, which is probably the point.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
There's a jump in logic there for sure, especially when it comes go the tunnel, but, I actually think a shopping mall is actually a brilliant cover. It's the types of big capital structure that would get built in a community like that. It's disguises the foot traffic in and out.

It does require belief that the Russians can pull off a large scale covert operation on US soil, which is the baseline for a movies like Red Dawn, which is probably the point.

During the cold war the Russians had plenty of fronts in Western Europe and North America, though the vast majority of them I imagine were probably known about.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I think that such absurdity is deliberate. After all, the series is an homage to 80s movies in which teenagers are inexplicably at the center of supernatural discoveries (ex. E.T., The Explorers) and foreign plots (ex. Red Dawn, War Games). If they go to too many lengths to make it believable, it's not really an homage any more and might even come across as a gentle criticism of the original absurdity by trying to avoid it. When you embrace something, you accept its faults and don't try to change them. The Duffers are embracing 80s teen movies by accepting their absurdity and not really trying to make their series less absurd, IMO. I think that we're supposed to just go along with it and not think that hard about it.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think that such absurdity is deliberate. After all, the series is an homage to 80s movies in which teenagers are inexplicably at the center of supernatural discoveries (ex. E.T., The Explorers) and foreign plots (ex. Red Dawn, War Games). If they go to too many lengths to make it believable, it's not really an homage any more and might even come across as a gentle criticism. When you embrace something, you accept its faults and don't try to change them. The Duffers are embracing 80s teen movies by accepting their absurdity and not really trying to make their series less absurd, IMO. I think that we're supposed to just go along with it and not think that hard about it.

100%. It's how most movies and certainly the movies that they are paying tribute to or playing off where back then. My suspicion would be that the people asking the, "but how did the Russians do it" are younger and not as familiar with the movies of the time period.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
100%. It's how most movies and certainly the movies that they are paying tribute to or playing off where back then. My guess is supession would be that the people asking the, "but how did the Russians do it" are younger and not as familiar with the movies of the time period.

I grew up on Red Dawn and plenty of other movies that had "The Reds are coming!" trope going on, I've just grown out of them and lazy tropes is all. I can however look past them from time to time.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I've enjoyed all 3 seasons equally.

Season 1 was the best, but I found season 2 well done touching the surface of there being more kids like El out there. Add in the Mind Flayer and the un-sureness if Dr. Owens had good or bad intentions throughout the season I thought it was a good season.
S3 pulled off a handful of different story lines very well in only 8 episodes. Hop and Joyce, Jonathan and Nancy, Scoop Troop, and then the romance drama among Lucas-Mike and Max-El and seeing Will realize that they aren't little kids anymore.

If they wanted to, I think they could get 2 more very good seasons out of this.

I would be surprised if they never bring up the other potential "superpower" kids again.

Of course the biggest thing would be the aging of the kids but it could work out as they just started HS in S3 IIRC.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I still think getting more than one season, the quality can really drop, but the more that you think about it, Netflix is not likely to end this show as Disney+ is launching, and spending a ton on programming. Plus, competition from Amazon, CBS and Universal.

I can see them trying to build stories around that next tranche of kids, like Erica and her peers.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

2016 says hi.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Tbh towards the last couple episodes there were quite a few things that irked me
- For such a high value operation, how could there not have been a single Russian on guard through the night when the kids first snuck in
- Where were all the Russian guards when not guarding the base?
- The entire town being completely oblivious to the ongoing destruction and death toll of the monster
- Hopper is the police chief yet at no point does anyone at the police question him being MIA for the entire season and doesn't seem to have a single contact in the police force to help him take on a military trained army of Russian guards

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Tbh towards the last couple episodes there were quite a few things that irked me
- For such a high value operation, how could there not have been a single Russian on guard through the night when the kids first snuck in
- Where were all the Russian guards when not guarding the base?
- The entire town being completely oblivious to the ongoing destruction and death toll of the monster
- Hopper is the police chief yet at no point does anyone at the police question him being MIA for the entire season and doesn't seem to have a single contact in the police force to help him take on a military trained army of Russian guards

Obviously this thing is riddled with all kinds of storyline stupidities. For me personally though that's not the point, the show is just meant to be an 80s themed extravaganza (even the plot holes are stuff you'd see in movies from the 80s!), with a compelling storyline and fantastic characters. If one goes into this with a CinemaSins mentality, chances are it's not going to be enjoyable. If one instead chooses to just embrace the ridiculousness and let it be what it is, it can be super entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad