Online Series: Stranger Things (A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It doesn't sound like that. Seems like season 4 has been tied to a very large development deal with the Duffer Brothers

'Stranger Things' Renewed for Season 4 as Creators Ink Nine-Figure Netflix Deal

It's very vague on specifics, other than saying a 9 figure deal. Sounds like it's for tv and film projects. I was wondering when you'd see an announcement like this. Stranger Things is probably one of, if not greatest Netflix's success stories. Netflix needs shows to counter the Disney behemoth, so it makes sense the creators would cash in like this.
Yeah that makes sense.

The rumors were this was going to start shooting in October, but now it seems like January. This season isn’t going to come out for a while.

I’ll be interested to see if this leads to more seasons of ST, or if they decide to do another series. The Duffers have been talking about 4 or 5 seasons of ST, but I’d imagine Netflix would much rather they just keep doing Stranger Things. Established IP and all that

100 million dollars is bonkers though.

Reactions: WillyNy

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am through all three seasons and have found all of them extremely easy to watch. I feel the series doesn't drag even though it takes a while to get places. They do a good job of making you remember something important but only when you need to know it. Not so much concerned about it being a mystery, I mean, were they really doing those types of TV and film back in the 80s?

They kept talking about Christmas at the end of the season - to me I feel like if they're not leading to a Christmas season release, they maybe should do a Christmas special or something that leads to what I think should be a final season. At any rate, with all the 80s nostalgia they pump into the content, I feel there definitely should be an 80's Christmas theme coming.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Netflix reports they had over 60 million viewers for season 3. That's worldwide numbers and not independently verified, but still a monster number.

'Stranger Things 3' Sets Netflix Viewing Record for Series
Wowwww

The game of thrones finale, live and people who watched later was only 19 million (i’m sure it’s a couple million more now since that was the number a week after aired) but to get 3x that is crazy. And that 19 million number shattered HBO’s previous top number.

Reactions: WillyNy

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven’t watched it since season 1. I think it’s massively overrated. It’s done a brilliant job of capitalizing off of the intersection of the streaming boom and millennial nostalgia though.

Millennials were either not alive in the 1980s or too young to remember, so I don't think that "nostalgia" is the right word there. It's definitely the right word to use with the older crowd, though. Those of us in the 35-55yo range are certainly drawn to it for the nostalgia. I wouldn't underestimate just how much that age group influences television and the online market. They're the ones with the most money and kids and who are staying home the most. While the box office largely caters to Generation Y, hence the popularity of superhero films, home entertainment seems cater more to Generation X, hence the popularity of 1980s shows.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I’m 35 and I’m considered a millennial. The millennial era is from 1981-1996. So basically plenty of early millennials will remember this time period. I know I do.

Ok, but that's still a small fraction of the total number of people who remember and are nostalgic for the time period, which includes just about all of Generation X (1965-81). That was more my point.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Ok, but that's still a small fraction of the total number of people who remember and are nostalgic for the time period, which includes just about all of Generation X (1965-81). That was more my point.

No, you said they were either not alive (true) or too young to remember. The first part is valid. The second part isn’t true. I remember the 80s vividly and I was born in 1984, meaning there are people before and after me who remember.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
No, you said they were either not alive (true) or too young to remember. The first part is valid. The second part isn’t true. I remember the 80s vividly and I was born in 1984, meaning there are people before and after me who remember.

I said "Ok." That was me granting your point.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
I said "Ok." That was me granting your point.

And you still went on to argue your incorrect point after "Ok" so Kanye Shrug. Either way 80s nostalgia is big right now and I'm fine with it. Though I lost track of Goldberg's, which hit me hard setting in the 80s in eastern PA which was basically my childhood. I did not battle demons from another realm... unless I was playing Ghostbusters.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
And you still went on to argue your incorrect point after "Ok" so Kanye Shrug.

Why is it incorrect to say that there are more GenXers (those born between 1965 and 1981) who remember the 1980s than there are millennials who do? Even conceding that millennials like you who were born between 1981 and 1985 remember the decade, that's still just 5 years compared to the 16 years of GenXers.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Why is it incorrect to say that there are more GenXers (those born between 1965 and 1981) who remember the 1980s than there are millennials who do? Even conceding that millennials like you who were born between 1981 and 1985 remember the decade, that's still just 5 years compared to the 16 years of GenXers.

Because this isn’t your original argument. Your original argument is this:

Millennials were either not alive in the 1980s or too young to remember, so I don't think that "nostalgia" is the right word there.

And as we’ve discussed it’s incorrect.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Because this isn’t your original argument. Your original argument is this:

And as we’ve discussed it’s incorrect.

You keep going back to something that I originally said, even though I conceded your point about it and haven't repeated it since. Can we move on to why you said that what I've argued since is also incorrect?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
God I hate the term millenial.

Anyways, I think it is fair enough to say that the time period in which Stranger Things is set, and specifically how it is presented to the viewer, is a big part of its success. Whether that is nostalgia or not is not really a compelling discussion.

Also, the DOB of someone isn't the end all be all when it comes to nostalgia. I was born in 86 and have few strong memories of the 80's but as a kid I watched plenty of movies and TV shows from the period. I'm more of a 90's kid but definitely enjoyed the afterburn of the 80's pop culture.

Reactions: discostu

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Anyways, I think it is fair enough to say that the time period in which Stranger Things is set, and specifically how it is presented to the viewer, is a big part of its success. Whether that is nostalgia or not is not really a compelling discussion.

Also, the DOB of someone isn't the end all be all when it comes to nostalgia. I was born in 86 and have few strong memories of the 80's but as a kid I watched plenty of movies and TV shows from the period. I'm more of a 90's kid but definitely enjoyed the afterburn of the 80's pop culture.

Only a millennial would say that :sarcasm:

Reactions: glovesave_35

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

If an actual millennial hates the term, imagine how much we GenXers don't want to be associated with it, either ;).

I was born in '76 and have pretty much no memories of the 70s. I watched plenty of movies and TV shows from that decade, but I've never felt any nostalgia for the 70s. That's why I imagine that those born '86 and after probably don't remember much, either. There was more kid-friendly 80s pop culture, though, so the "afterburn," as you called it, might've been greater.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Although Netflix declined to comment, TVLine has learned exclusively that the Netflix’s phenom’s recently-ordered fourth season will likely consist of eight total episodes. That’s on par with the episode counts for Seasons 1 and 3, but down slightly from Season 2’s nine installments.

Meanwhile, we can confirm that Season 4 is slated to begin shooting in January and will likely wrap in August, which essentially rules out the possibility of the series returning this summer

So shooting starts in January, runs till August.

Assuming they follow a similar production cycle to Season 3, where it premiered 14 months after shooting started, you’re looking at a March 2021 timeframe for season 4

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just finished season 3 last night, thought it was great and really enjoyed it, very much looking forward to season 4. I had canceled Netflix for 6 months or so but just got it back a few weeks ago so catching up on things now. As a child of the '80's and a big Steven King fan, this show has been a lot of fun for me.

I see they are filming season 4 in the same place that were used to film the HBO series Chernobyl.

Stranger Things Season 4 Is Reportedly Filming at a Prison in Lithuania: Is Hopper Alive?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Blitzed through the series over "Christmas break". I'd been putting it off as I was going to wait until it's over, but just felt like finally watching it. Season 1 was quite good, best season if you ask me. Season 2 was good as well. Season 3 I didn't enjoy quite as much, but it had it's moments. Best part of the whole series thus far was the Snow Ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad