Stralman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I mean you can keep klein as a top,four defender with Staal, but say good bye to any decent transition game you might've envisioned. That ultimately paradigms to lethargic hockey where the rangers are continuously pinned in for large parts of the game.

It's a mistake to,trade MDZ for Klein. He could've been used as a chip for a better RHD like Franson or a lw rental like Cammalleri.

Frankly, the rangers could've gotten a Klein like player in Nick Schultz for a fifth. Mike weaver, etc.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You, like many others, seem to have no concept as to the gathering of these stats.

Klein was a top 4 D-Man in Nashville. He was killing penalties and often playing against the best players on the other team. These stats are inclusive of his season there, where he had much harder matchups.

5 On 5

Rangers as a team - 6th in Fenwick For
Nashville as a team -17th in Fenwick For

Corsi FoR

Rangers - 7th
Nashville - 18th

As I'm sure you're aware, the Rangers were one of the best possession teams in the league, while Nashville was well....not so much. Their offensive players got trampled night in night out because they consisted of mostly 3rd and 4th liners.

They couldn't dominate upper lines ever.

Did you EVER stop to think that maybe this was relative to his statistics this year?

Stralman played the entire year on a team that dominates possession. Klein played the majority of the year on a team that was awful at possession.

Klein is a stay at home D-Man. He is not going to be extremely helpful to a team that's offensive players can't muster up any sort of sustained pressure. He is however, way more steady on the Rangers . A team where his job is solely to defend while the actual skill players worry about offensive zone pressure.

I'm so tired of people throwing around advanced stats like they are telling of Klein, without taking into account the fact that he was on a team that was so significantly worse then the Rangers this year.

Klein sucked in Nashville too though.

http://rangersunlimited.com/2014/01/24/what-do-we-have-in-klein/

Very alarming.

AHB*

Klein sucked in Nashville too though.

http://rangersunlimited.com/2014/01/24/what-do-we-have-in-klein/

Very alarming.

Read the bottom half of my post. Again, you have no concept of how these stats are actually relative to on-ice teams/overall play.

I'm done here. Klein is not a world beater, but your agenda against him is completely unfounded and I'm tired of reading how much you "hate" the guy in every single thread. Everyone on this board knows that Klein clearly has personally done something to you.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of us would really like to see Stralman come back but he's not a guy you give a massive contract too. I would think that 99.9% of the posters on HF would be more than happy with a $3.5 mil per year contract like is being suggested for his value to the team. Would a Swedish or European team give him that kind of money? I don't know. Can he do better as a NHL free agent? Probably.

The first thing I look at with a defenseman is he defends well in his own end. That he is positionally sound. That he can move a play out of trouble. Stralman fits and so does Klein. Stralman IMO is a little better at it. He's worth bringing back at the right price.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Read the bottom half of my post. Again, you have no concept of how these stats are actually relative to on-ice teams/overall play.

I'm done here. Klein is not a world beater, but your agenda against him is completely unfounded and I'm tired of reading how much you "hate" the guy in every single thread. Everyone on this board knows that Klein clearly has personally done something to you.

You didn't even bother reading the article. It compared Klein's tenure in Nashville before joining the Rangers.

Only 2 players out of 12 had a positive corsi differential with Klein IN Nashville. If that's not being a liability, then I don't know what is! He was a liability in Nashville.

Mike Weaver for a 5th would've been a better trade.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Stralman needs to get back to his Blue Jacket's roots and start putting up points back there. If he was capable of 30 points from the blue line instead of 15-20 I'd say definitely keep him, but he just isn't putting points up anymore. With Girardi and. Klein signed to good deals, I'd rather give Diaz/McIlrath their shots on the third pairing. Dylan can also make John Moore a tougher guy than he already is and who knows what could happen...Stralman is a bit too steady with the puck, very predictable, doesn't pick corners, hits way too many pads or just throws the puck around the boards on the blue line, we need someone who can hit a net and bring some unpredictability.

richardsequalscup*

Absolutely no interest in bringing Stralman back. Allen will be better than him after about 20 NHL games. McIlrath has to be on this roster this year. There were way too many liberties being taken against our players during the regular season. I would think if the top 5 stays healthy, Allen and McIlrath will platoon next season. Then, the organization will decide what to do if Staal is locked up long term.

Klein has been excellent as a Ranger. I honestly don't know what people watch with this team sometimes. The team didn't start to play on a high level until they brought Klein in. Of course, our fans totally dismiss that. They also dismiss the fact that Stralman was a bumbling idiot most of the regular season. I don't want to hear about the transition game with Stralman. Please. He showed absolutely NO offensive skills this season.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Klein isn't that good: not as bad as Mint says, IMO, but Stralman is significantly better.

Resign Stralsy. Trade Klein if McI or Allen deserve a spot.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Absolutely no interest in bringing Stralman back. Allen will be better than him after about 20 NHL games. McIlrath has to be on this roster this year. There were way too many liberties being taken against our players during the regular season. I would think if the top 5 stays healthy, Allen and McIlrath will platoon next season. Then, the organization will decide what to do if Staal is locked up long term.

Klein has been excellent as a Ranger. I honestly don't know what people watch with this team sometimes. The team didn't start to play on a high level until they brought Klein in. Of course, our fans totally dismiss that. They also dismiss the fact that Stralman was a bumbling idiot most of the regular season. I don't want to hear about the transition game with Stralman. Please. He showed absolutely NO offensive skills this season.

The DelZotto-Moore pairing was like two guys playing catch with a live grenade.

Klein settled the third pair, giving Moore a competent defense partner to play with.

I've found Staal/Stralman a steady pairing for most of the year when they've played together.

I like the idea of Allen and MacI coming up from Hartford,two rookie D men platooning...what could go wrong?

Diaz may not stick around,Falk is going to go actually play somewhere.

This board never ceases to amaze me with the immediate desire to blow up continuity and stability for the next greatest thing.

Where are all those lineups people were posting with half of the Wolfpack in the top six a year or two ago?

Stability is what you want on defense.

I'll take Stralman and his steady defensive play as a known commodity over Allen, no matter how "Poised" he has looked in what, 4-5 NHL games?

Never mind AV doesn't seem to share the desire we see on this board to sprinkle kids into his NHL roster.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
What's the going rate for a solid but unspectacular 2nd pair RD who has very little O production? Comparables to Strals on the recnt FA market?

Somebody mentioned 3 or 4 years and 4.5 being a definite no but I don't see why it would be. An elite 1st pair guy gets 7-8 but for something like 7 years. A solid 1st pair guy like girardi gets 6 years 5.5 mil. I have to think a 2nd pair guy gets about 3.5-4.5 for 3 or 4 years

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Of the UFA's we have Stralman, Pouliot, Boyle, Dominic Moore, Carcillo and Diaz. I expect Diaz will probably leave and Carcillo and Dom Moore if they would re-up would come back fairly cheap. I have the idea that Dom Moore really really wants to stay here.
There are definitely choices that will need to be made. Stralman may be the price of resigning Pouliot and getting Staal signed to a long-term extension (each year, it will become more expensive). OTOH, maybe a Pouliot deal or lack thereof is the price to be able to resign Stralman to a deal that he may land on the open market.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are definitely choices that will need to be made. Stralman may be the price of resigning Pouliot and getting Staal signed to a long-term extension (each year, it will become more expensive). OTOH, maybe a Pouliot deal or lack thereof is the price to be able to resign Stralman to a deal that he may land on the open market.

Pouliot is a good fit for Brassard and Zucc. This is the first time in his career that he's pretty much showed that he can be consistent and good. He could sign for more elsewhere but the conditions will be different and whether he can put up the same play is a--who knows. If he stays and continues on the same line with Brassard and Zucc he could cement himself as a really solid player.

It's the same thing exactly with Stralman. He's played a while with Staal who really is a very fine player. He could make more money no doubt elsewhere but he'll have to create good chemistry with another player--one probably not nearly as good at Staal and his contract might in short time look like an albatross to his new team.

The players can simply look at the $'s but how they fit is what their new teams are going to judge them on in the end. They both fit very well here.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People's belief that Stralman=Klein is about as off base as Mint's belief that Stralman to Klein is like Gretzky to Ryan Hollweg. Is there anyone that has a somewhat grounded assessment?

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I mean you can keep klein as a top,four defender with Staal, but say good bye to any decent transition game you might've envisioned. That ultimately paradigms to lethargic hockey where the rangers are continuously pinned in for large parts of the game.

It's a mistake to,trade MDZ for Klein. He could've been used as a chip for a better RHD like Franson or a lw rental like Cammalleri.

Frankly, the rangers could've gotten a Klein like player in Nick Schultz for a fifth. Mike weaver, etc.

That's all I needed to hear to get a good laugh

I'm thrilled with Anton's play this year and hope he sticks around going forward

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Mint's problem is that he takes his stats like the bible. Then there are the people that think advanced stats are garbage. Very few people that are in between. Thankfully there's the "by the numbers" section at HF where people realize that stats are important but not the be all end all. I'm sure Franson shows up with better stats even though Leafs fans think he can't play defense and Mint without critically looking at it says he's better.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
*Looks at location flag*

Got it!
His campaigning slowed up so its time for a thread of its own. Stralman has been excellent with Staal. As already mentioned, he deserves and will get a nice multi-year deal somewhere else. That said, the constant anti-Klein nonsense has gotten VERY old. Enough already. He's trying to will the management to resign Stralman at all costs through HF!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
His campaigning slowed up so its time for a thread of its own. Stralman has been excellent with Staal. As already mentioned, he deserves and will get a nice multi-year deal somewhere else. That said, the constant anti-Klein nonsense has gotten VERY old. Enough already. He's trying to will the management to resign Stralman at all costs through HF!

As far as that goes anyone can will all they want. Sather and co. are going to do what they're going to do some of which is not going to be popular with the majority of Rangers posters at HF. My no. 1 priority for last off season was to buy out Richards--there were lots of others as well. It didn't happen. A lot of people wanted Torts dumped. I was on the fence for that one. Sather did dump him and it's proven to have been the right choice. I think the Rangers are in a better place for this year and the future for that decision. Tortorella tried to take the same style to Vancouver--showing a lack of flexibility--it's become an ideology for him showing he lacked the ability to adjust to his players capabilities and at the same time a player like Kreider blossomed under Vigneault.

I still think it's important to buy out Richards. I think there is a decent chance that it will happen but I'm not sure I'd bet on it.

Mint believes that Stralman is as good if not even better than Girardi. He's called Anton a shutdown defenseman. He thinks that Stralman should be getting at least in the neighborhood to what Girardi got in his new contract. I've been over this with him before. It's not reasonable. You can't hand out big contracts to everyone--not in a cap world and there's other priorities this summer like Zuccarello, Brassard and Kreider. Girardi scored that contract because of three things primarily--1. his tenure here-his body of work-2. the lack of quality right handed defensemen around the league and 3. his upcoming UFA status. Stralman's body of work does not really compare. He is a quality right D with upcoming UFA status. The Rangers can afford so much--he most probably would do better somewhere else but I believe he fits with our team better than he would fit anywhere else and that he could bring in a pretty good--just not as good a contract if he did decide to stay with us.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

Stralman is better than Klein and should get a multi-year deal with us, even if it means trading Klein.

Jyrgen

Oct 10, 2005
wrote this in he RHD shot up front thread..it's better placed here.

I want them to sign Strålman. If they do the Rangers will be set up for RD for a couple of years with DanG, Stralsy and Klein. They will have a hell of a D corp moving forward.

I know that Strålman is so incredibly thankful to the Rangers for being given a chance to turn his career around. He's having the time of his life as a player right now and really beleives that he is contributing..as we all can se (he blocks shots, hits and really shows up at games).

He is willing to take a "big" discount just to stay with this team, the only thing is the term. The rumored amounts should be fine with Strålman, but he wants at least 3 years..that's the only issue.

I think it's a no brainer, just sign the guy! If they want to move Strålman or Klein later it will an easy task. They both easily plays good enough and their cap hit is very lucrative (given that Strålman signs at 3-3,3 mill for 3 years).

If someone goes down he can easily eat top minutes and play 25 min per game over a stretch..just sign him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The players can simply look at the $'s but how they fit is what their new teams are going to judge them on in the end. They both fit very well here.
Eco, you and I have been around sports long enough to know that almost always, it is about the money.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I saw every game since the trade, and Klein had maybe 4-5 bad shifts the entire time. I had a couple of games from the nose bleeds at the garden, and couldn't tell Klein or Stralman apart.

It didn't help that the 6 and 8 look similar from afar, but their games are near identical.

gotta agree with this. neither are flashy, snipers, or fast.

both are steady, strong on the puck, relaxed with their passes, and can skate better than average.

If they play the same game, it's not a terrible thing if Stralman needs to go. I don't want him to walk, but it may be the only option.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
wrote this in he RHD shot up front thread..it's better placed here.

I want them to sign Strålman. If they do the Rangers will be set up for RD for a couple of years with DanG, Stralsy and Klein. They will have a hell of a D corp moving forward.

I know that Strålman is so incredibly thankful to the Rangers for being given a chance to turn his career around. He's having the time of his life as a player right now and really beleives that he is contributing..as we all can se (he blocks shots, hits and really shows up at games).

He is willing to take a "big" discount just to stay with this team, the only thing is the term. The rumored amounts should be fine with Strålman, but he wants at least 3 years..that's the only issue.

I think it's a no brainer, just sign the guy! If they want to move Strålman or Klein later it will an easy task. They both easily plays good enough and their cap hit is very lucrative (given that Strålman signs at 3-3,3 mill for 3 years).

If someone goes down he can easily eat top minutes and play 25 min per game over a stretch..just sign him.

Personally I'd have no problem giving Stralman $3.5 mil per for 3 years. To me it would be a good deal.

Eco, you and I have been around sports long enough to know that almost always, it is about the money.

In most cases but not in all. I think Girardi just gave the Rangers a discount. He could have done a lot better as far as $'s and term if he waited until July. Another case may be Statsny who I think will take less to stay in Colorado.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
It seems more that he wants a longer deal than a lot of money. I'd be ok with giving him ~3 mil for 5-6. We'd have two very cheaply signed top 4 RHD. With the cap going up, they'd both be steals soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad