Stralman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The rangers shouldn't break up the Staal and Stralman pairing!

Stralman's had a dominant season defensively and deserves a high payraise!

Staal's game just took off when paired with him, in fact, any player partnered with him has their own play elevated.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stralman's a very good d-man. He's been great in the playoffs. I would love to see the Rangers re-sign him. A 3-4 year deal at around $3.5 mil per--maybe a little higher. It would give the Rangers two excellent defense pairing going into next year and a pretty decent third pairing.

Basically the problem for us after the playoffs end is figuring how to allocate whatever cap dollars we'll have going into next year.

Of the RFA's: Zuccarello is priority No. 1. Brassard is going to cost us $4 mil just to qualify. Kreider can be hard balled a bit but should push $2 mil per anyway. John Moore definitely can be hard balled. Trading DZ instead of him sets us up for saving about $2 mil as to qualify DZ would have meant starting around $3 mil. John Moore ekes his way over the $1 mil mark--maybe to $1.2 mil for a couple years. Moving DZ instead of Moore for Klein means we have a much better chance of bringing back one of our better UFA's like Stralman, Pouliot or Boyle.

Of the UFA's we have Stralman, Pouliot, Boyle, Dominic Moore, Carcillo and Diaz. I expect Diaz will probably leave and Carcillo and Dom Moore if they would re-up would come back fairly cheap. I have the idea that Dom Moore really really wants to stay here.

LetsGoBlueshirts

Oct 15, 2008
New Joisey
Stralman's a very good d-man. He's been great in the playoffs. I would love to see the Rangers re-sign him. A 3-4 year deal at around $3.5 mil per--maybe a little higher. It would give the Rangers two excellent defense pairing going into next year and a pretty decent third pairing.

Basically the problem for us after the playoffs end is figuring how to allocate whatever cap dollars we'll have going into next year.

Of the RFA's: Zuccarello is priority No. 1. Brassard is going to cost us $4 mil just to qualify. Kreider can be hard balled a bit but should push $2 mil per anyway. John Moore definitely can be hard balled. Trading DZ instead of him sets us up for saving about $2 mil as to qualify DZ would have meant starting around $3 mil. John Moore ekes his way over the $1 mil mark--maybe to $1.2 mil for a couple years. Moving DZ instead of Moore for Klein means we have a much better chance of bringing back one of our better UFA's like Stralman, Pouliot or Boyle.

Of the UFA's we have Stralman, Pouliot, Boyle, Dominic Moore, Carcillo and Diaz. I expect Diaz will probably leave and Carcillo and Dom Moore if they would re-up would come back fairly cheap. I have the idea that Dom Moore really really wants to stay here.

This is the problem I thought of when I read the OP. There is no denying Stralman has been a very consistent presence on the back end. Right now we have a top 4 D signed next year of Mcd/Girardi Staal/Klein and Moore is an RFA who will be re-upped. If you sign Stralman, you have a solid top 6. I would be very happy if that happened, especially when you consider how we avoided injuries this season. Having a third pairing of Moore/Klein is amazing since they can fill in top 4 minutes if someone goes down.

I agree the Zucc is priority #1 and Brassard at ~4 million is likely #2. Stralman might end up as a cap casualty.

IMO, we will need to amnesty Richards due to the raises for John Moore, Zuke, Brassard, Henrik if we want to afford Stralman.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's very possible that his current play is pricing himself off of the Rangers.

Good for Anton. I Hope he keeps it up :nod:

Though, he can still be inconsistent.

If he's looking for 3 or 4 years at $4.5m in the off-season, I pass on that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is the problem I thought of when I read the OP. There is no denying Stralman has been a very consistent presence on the back end. Right now we have a top 4 D signed next year of Mcd/Girardi Staal/Klein and Moore is an RFA who will be re-upped. If you sign Stralman, you have a solid top 6. I would be very happy if that happened, especially when you consider how we avoided injuries this season. Having a third pairing of Moore/Klein is amazing since they can fill in top 4 minutes if someone goes down.

I agree the Zucc is priority #1 and Brassard at ~4 million is likely #2. Stralman might end up as a cap casualty.

IMO, we will need to amnesty Richards due to the raises for John Moore, Zuke, Brassard, Henrik if we want to afford Stralman.

The person who started this thread hated the DZ-Klein deal and still makes nasty remarks about Klein but Kevin's addition stabilized the third pair and an added irony is that keeping Moore instead of DZ will provide the Rangers with somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 mil of cap flexibility which may in the end allow the Rangers to re-sign his favorite player Stralman. Stralman's chances of being a Ranger next year are better because Del Zotto got moved.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's unlikely that he returns, so enjoy it now.

Guy could land a much better package from the Oilers than we'd be willing to offer.

We have an entire 2nd line plus multiple RFA's to lock up.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Why doesn't anyone seem to think he would resign? I don't think he'll be looking for that much money.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's very possible that his current play is pricing himself off of the Rangers.

Good for Anton. I Hope he keeps it up :nod:

Though, he can still be inconsistent.

If he's looking for 3 or 4 years at $4.5m in the off-season, I pass on that.

I agree. I also think it's quite possible that Stralman gets a 3-4 year $4.5 mil per year offer or maybe even a little better. The possibility is pretty strong though that if he decides on another team he won't be quite as good of a player as he has been for the Rangers. He's been playing with Marc Staal for quite a while now and Staal is a seriously good player to partner with. Knowing your partner is often a really big deal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I agree. I also think it's quite possible that Stralman gets a 3-4 year $4.5 mil per year offer or maybe even a little better. The possibility is pretty strong though that if he decides on another team he won't be quite as good of a player as he has been for the Rangers. He's been playing with Marc Staal for quite a while now and Staal is a seriously good player to partner with. Knowing your partner is often a really big deal.

(see: Girardi, Dan) ;)

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Hoping he resigns. I could see him wanting to continue playing in NYC. His game really took off since coming here

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I'd love to have him back, but even after buying out Richards the Rangers have some tough choices. I'd imagine 2 of Strahlman, Dom Moore, Boyle and Pouliot are gone no matter what.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Why doesn't anyone seem to think he would resign? I don't think he'll be looking for that much money.

He could be the best RHD UFA on the market, which means if he wants it he'll get seriously overpaid. I'd love to have him back in the 3-3.5 mil range, but he'd be choosing to take less money at that price, which usually doesn't happen.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Maybe one day McIlrath will be ready to take a top 4 RHD shift, and we can run Girardi - McI - Klein down the right , and not have to worry about Anton...

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :tarasenko: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He'll probably get a fat deal on the open market. He's earned it. I hope we can keep him but I'm not optimistic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Its been reported that Slats hasn't even talked to him, that is what disturbs me.

I reported a while back how Stralsy was interviewed by Swedish Radio. He got like 4 kids. Its been talk about how his Ms doesn't like the moving around and the uncertain future, he was very close to returning to Sweden for good before he got the try out with NJ and eventually signed with us. In the interview he more or less out right said that he wanted a longer contract, 3-5 years, but that dollars wasn't that important. I am pretty sure Slats could have locked him up real cheap earlier in the year, now its becoming a bit more problematic if he hits the market.

I like Stralsy, but OTOH, we are short on defense in our top 3. Preferbly, Staal, McD and Girardi goes nowhere. I don't want Stralsy gone either, but if Slats puts himself in a position where he have to outbid 29 other GMs in this league I don't think Diaz as a stop gap is a bad option before we find someone who can put the puck in the net from the blueline.

AHB*

The rangers shouldn't break up the Staal and Stralman pairing!

Stralman's had a dominant season defensively and deserves a high payraise!

Staal's game just took off when paired with him, in fact, any player partnered with him has their own play elevated.

A couple things.

Stralman's season was steady, not dominant.

Staal's game took off because he's finally overcoming all the injuries and getting back to the player he was prior to the 2 concussions and eye contusion.

Finally, I don't understand how you adamantly despise Klein, meanwhile understand the value Stralman brings to this team. Neither is flashy or puts up points but both are very smart and steady players.

I know their styles are different but for one to see the value in one of those guys and not in the other is beyond me.

Also, we can't afford to keep Staal, Girardi, McD and Stralman. All will be paid above 5 Million, one has to go. The odd man out is Stralman, as much as I like him.

He's been a warrior for us and a very good player. I'm shocked we got him for free. I will always like him and hope we keep him, but as was said above, it really doesn't seem feasible.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers are in need of a PP QB with from their RHD slot on the 2nd pair, and a guy that can put up 35+ pts for the team to have an excellent D-Core. I am thinking a veteran in the mold of a Zidlicky, Boyle, or Robidas if the latter's legs hold up.

Staal and Stralman have been excellent defensively, but combined for 24 points the entire year, and you need more production from that slot.

With that said, I like Stralman a lot, and think that he will absolutely hit pay dirt as a UFA because mistake free defensmen that play 20+ min a night are a rare commodity, especially RHD.

The Rangers have an immediate replacement for him in Klein, and I would love to Stralman back, but as soon as he hits the open market, he will get the 4-5 year deal, at $4-5M.

My guess is that he gets 4 year $18M in the open market and that is because the majority of the teams that did not make the playoffs, iced defensemen that had to play higher up in their line up.

The Rangers would have been smart to extend him earlier or midseason but we all know Stralman is going to cash out big time.

The question is does any contending team pay a defenseman $4-5M cap hit who is going to score 10-15 points a season?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The difference is that Klein is not very good at hockey.

I saw every game since the trade, and Klein had maybe 4-5 bad shifts the entire time. I had a couple of games from the nose bleeds at the garden, and couldn't tell Klein or Stralman apart.

It didn't help that the 6 and 8 look similar from afar, but their games are near identical.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
IMO your eyes may be deceiving.

Klein is the worst possession defender on the rangers and it isn't even close. Amongst the starters at least.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...eamid=20&type=fenwick&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

Stralman is the best, how exactly are they interchangeable?

Furthermore, Stralman is utilized more ES SH and obviously against tougher competition.

Klein doesn't even kill penalties right now. He is what he is, a bottom pair damn who gets slaughtered out there in terms of possession.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I think Stralman is a bit better player than Klein. It's not a large gap though. He's quicker with the breakouts. Klein deserves the contract he has--Stralman deserves a little more. $3.5 per is very fair IMO.

Klein played 30 regular season games for us. He was a +4 on the bottom pairing mostly with John Moore who is the weakest defenseman of our 6 regulars. John Moore paired with Del Zotto was awful. John Moore was the better choice to go forward into the future with than Del Zotto however. Klein played 30 games--was +4 and took 0 penalty minutes-- to repeat +4 with 0 penalty minutes playing with our worst defenseman. Kevin's not a pushover. He's a positionally sound player who has no problem giving or receiving hits. He is a calm, steady player in his own end who doesn't panic and is positionally sound which is a main reason why he doesn't take penalties. He's had 110 penalty minutes total in 433 regular season games over the course of his career. He's had 8 fighting majors in that time which accounts for 40 of those minutes and by the way he fights very well for his size. Without those he'd have 70 penalty minutes in 433 regulars season games which prorated means he takes one minor penalty about every 12 and a third games.

Mint's anger at this player is just irrational as far as I'm concerned.

AHB*

IMO your eyes may be deceiving.

Klein is the worst possession defender on the rangers and it isn't even close. Amongst the starters at least.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...eamid=20&type=fenwick&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

Stralman is the best, how exactly are they interchangeable?

Furthermore, Stralman is utilized more ES SH and obviously against tougher competition.

Klein doesn't even kill penalties right now. He is what he is, a bottom pair damn who gets slaughtered out there in terms of possession.

You, like many others, seem to have no concept as to the gathering of these stats.

Klein was a top 4 D-Man in Nashville. He was killing penalties and often playing against the best players on the other team. These stats are inclusive of his season there, where he had much harder matchups.

5 On 5

Rangers as a team - 6th in Fenwick For
Nashville as a team -17th in Fenwick For

Corsi FoR

Rangers - 7th
Nashville - 18th

As I'm sure you're aware, the Rangers were one of the best possession teams in the league, while Nashville was well....not so much. Their offensive players got trampled night in night out because they consisted of mostly 3rd and 4th liners.

They couldn't dominate upper lines ever.

Did you EVER stop to think that maybe this was relative to his statistics this year?

Stralman played the entire year on a team that dominates possession. Klein played the majority of the year on a team that was awful at possession.

Klein is a stay at home D-Man. He is not going to be extremely helpful to a team that's offensive players can't muster up any sort of sustained pressure. He is however, way more steady on the Rangers . A team where his job is solely to defend while the actual skill players worry about offensive zone pressure.

I'm so tired of people throwing around advanced stats like they are telling of Klein, without taking into account the fact that he was on a team that was so significantly worse then the Rangers this year.

Before constantly parading your advanced stats round and round like you're some sort of Guru, maybe you should learn what they mean first and how they are gathered. Additionally, as I have consistently preached, advanced stats are a nice measurement, but they are not the end all be all as they are in baseball. Hockey is a team sport and styles differ, even within the game. When the Rangers get a lead, specifically a two goal lead in the 3rd period, they limit their pressure points and allow teams to shoot crappy permiter shots, while "technically" controlling play.

So on the advanced stat sheet, it would SEEM to the person who doesn't watch the game, that the third period would have been dominated by the opposing team, HOWEVER, that's not the case, because the Rangers are playing a different style to protect the 2 goal lead and limit the oppurtunities of odd man rushes and high level scoring chances.

So again, while a baseball player is almost ALWAYS in a situation (sans sacs, bunts, etc) he is trying to get a hit, HR, etc. However, a hockey TEAM is not ALWAYS in a situation where they are trying to primary dominate possession or score goals.

I find it odd that after years of watching defensively oriented teams, many Corsi enthusiasts still have trouble understanding that specific styles in game are actually completely unrelated to the stats these observations provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad