Straight into NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I have no idea at all.

I know Rutherford has said they will give Ladd a chance at training camp. They haven't said they're pushing him in the lineup but they will take the same stance they took on Staal and see if he can win himself a spot. Considering the Hurricanes suck a metric ton of ass, I'd say he has a chance.

Columbus like to have their forwards jump early. MacLean says he likes the fact Alex Picard wants to compete now. So they will monitor him carefully.

The Wild like to get their guys early but I haven't heard if they plan to do this with Thelen.

Note that none of this is predictions on my part. Just passing information as of now.

Often, a guy or two will jump that nobody really expected. It's all depending on the player and how he reacts in a current environment. Many variables. I think the 2004 is an interesting crop, perhaps a tad underrated but I don't know it that much. I can't wait to see many of those guys in action. Hopefully many will at least attend training camps and perhaps some exhibition games at least.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Radulov may not have the strength to compete full time for Nashville yet, but he sure does have the speed, so it may be a 50/50 proposition after all the fa's we're gonna release tomorrow

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
Barker will not be playing for the Hawks next season.
They are expecting Babchuk to make the team, and if there is a 2nd rookie, it would most likely be Seabrook or Barinka (at this point they are both a little more ready). Now, 2 rookies on D is stretching it, but 3 would be idiotic... even for the hawks.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Vlad The Impaler said:
The Wild like to get their guys early but I haven't heard if they plan to do this with Thelen.

I think a lot of that had to do with the competition level in camp; a talented young kid has (had?) a pretty good chance of looking as good as an expansion draft veteran if that veteran doesn't show up ready to go in good shape. Thompson's said every year he'd be really surprised to see our young guys make the team. He gets surprised a lot, apparently. This year may be different, since we've shed some of the vets and some of the older prospects are expected to make the team. A kid like Thelen may have a better chance, since he's a defenseman, but I would guess we won't see any 04 picks making the team this year. I'm often wrong, however.

outKast*

I think someone posted in the Oiler boards:

During draft interviews, most prospects at the draft ussualy talk about their future roles on the team that's drafting them. Most of them ussually say that they hope they can make the team in the fall. When it came to Robbie Shremp's interview with Kevin Lowe, he asked what line he was going to play in, in the comming season. hahaha that's pure cockiness and i wouldn't bet against this from happening.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I think TUkonen will be ready, altohugh I don't know if he is used to the North American ice and palying style, so he may have to start the season off in the AHL

shoyen

Feb 11, 2003
St. Albert, Alberta
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Considering the Hurricanes suck a metric ton of ass

that is one of the funniest statements I have ever heard :lol: :lol

Anyways, I would tend to agree with everyone else so far that Ovechkin (obviously) and Tukonen seem to be the most NHL ready.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
markov` said:
The top three pick: Alexander Ovechkin, Yevgeny Malkin and Cameron Barker.

Malkin will be playing in the Russian Super League next year.

He's said he wants to stay there for one year to get stronger and to play more, because last year he saw limited playing time for Magnitogorsk's top club.

Pen's GM Craig Patrick said he does not expect Malkin to compete for a job next year.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Besides the obvious high picks, I could see Chipchura or Nokelainen making it, as they sound like they could step right into a checking role. Both of their teams are deep in centers which will make it difficult, but Nokelainen at least can line up at any forward position. I don't know if Chippy can do the same. Not saying it will happen, just that I see it as being possible.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
Outside of the obvious like Ovechkin, Malkin (maybe), Barker and potentially Tukonen I have read a lot of scouts think Chipchura could potentially step in because of his size and two way play, only thing holding him back other than I don't know the last time an 18 year old started the season in Montreal is that he needs some work on his skating.

Picard wouldn't surprise me either with Columbus pretty much bringing in their 18 year old 1st rounders if they think they are ready.

leafaholix*

MichaelK said:
With all of the talk about first round picks, what about later overagers?
Roman Kukumberg of the Leafs is an overage player, 24 years old from Slovakia.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Ovechkin
Ladd
Tukonen

Sleeper: Rob Schremp

Tukonen might be ready for NHL but I'm 95% sure that he will stay here in Finland for at least a year (maybe two), that's because of his upcoming military service and I THINK he has at least a year of school left. Also he probably will get more ice-time in Finland than in LA/Manchester and more time to practise. So hold your horses... He will arrive someday... and then... HE WILL DESTROY YOU ALL! :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad