Straight into NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
FINNtastic said:
Tukonen might be ready for NHL but I'm 95% sure that he will stay here in Finland for at least a year (maybe two), that's because of his upcoming military service and I THINK he has at least a year of school left.

I read somewhere that he's been concentrating on hockey the past year or two and hasn't had time for school. I'm not sure about that, though.

AgentOrange*

RE-HABS said:
Picard wouldn't surprise me either with Columbus pretty much bringing in their 18 year old 1st rounders if they think they are ready.

Its because the Jackets dont have enough good players where they can let the rookies develop longer in the minors. :D

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Ovechkin 99%
Ladd 50%
Olesz 50%
Barker 30%
Meszaros 25%
Chipchura 25%
Picard 20%
Schremp 20%
These are guesses obvioulsy but I think these guys might have a shot at playing next year, provided there is a season.

KH1

Ovechkin, Ladd, Chippy all play a game that easily translates into the NHL, and all of their teams have some room for them. A sleeper: Mike Green could make the Caps with a strong training camp.

No way Thelen plays next year. The guy's gotta play at least another season in the NCAA or AHL in my opinion.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the more interesting question is: Who plays in the NHL right away, assuming there's an entire year's worth of a lockout? In other words, with one more year of development, there should be a whole slew of 2004 draftees in the NHL by 2005-06. I could see the following guys already in the NHL by then...

Ovechkin
Malkin
Barker
Ladd
Smid
Tukonen
Radulov
Korpikoski
Wolski
Schremp
Green
Karsums
Franzen
Kukumberg

And my sleeper: Denis Parshin

Oh yeah, and by then there will also be some guy named Crosby! :handclap:

Last edited:

GaborikRules10!!!

Vlad The Impaler said:
The Wild like to get their guys early but I haven't heard if they plan to do this with Thelen.
The Wild havent said what there gonna do with AJ yet, but AJ has said in the newspapers and on the radio that he thinks hes ready and that he thinks he can play next year, the Wild love his confidence though. I dont think he will be here next year though because there wont be a season I think. Lets say AJ did come out of college and there is a season and he didnt make the team out of training camp, can he go to the AHL??

db23

Chipchura seems like the most mature of the first rounders along with Ovechkin. Montreal is not an organization that rushes it's players, though. Minnesota like to throw their kids right in, so the chances are probably good for Thelen. A.J. was a CCHA first team All Star and second team All American, so he doesn't have a lot to prove in the NCAA.

kingbrath

Jul 15, 2002
Calgary, AB
Visit site
FINNtastic said:
Tukonen might be ready for NHL but I'm 95% sure that he will stay here in Finland for at least a year (maybe two), that's because of his upcoming military service and I THINK he has at least a year of school left. Also he probably will get more ice-time in Finland than in LA/Manchester and more time to practise. So hold your horses... He will arrive someday... and then... HE WILL DESTROY YOU ALL! :banana:

I can't wait to see the guy play in a Kings Jersey!!!! :handclap:

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Seven_Nation_Army said:
Radulov may not have the strength to compete full time for Nashville yet, but he sure does have the speed, so it may be a 50/50 proposition after all the fa's we're gonna release tomorrow

I'd say it's more like 10/90 that he'll be in a Preds uni next year. If we are going to give a spot to a very talented Russian who doesn't play defense, we are going to give the spot to Shishkanov. Shish is much more physical imposing and a much more developed player. He's a full 3 years older and has 2 more years of NA experience and one more year of Pro experience. And yeah, Shish can fly too.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Andrej Meszaros seems pretty content on making the Sens next season. If he can put on some muscle this offseason, he might have a chance. A right handed shot on the blueline would be real nice.

thestonedkoala

I'd be kind of pissed if Thelen made it simply because he needs more time in the NCAA to find his defensive game.

Here's a name: Roman Voloshenko. Especially if the Russian League puts pressure on the International Committee to raise the fees of their players going to America.

Plus Wild need another goal scorer!

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
I don't think its very likely that any of the top d-men will jump in straight away, and the same goes for the goalies. Out of the forwards, I expect Ovechkin and Ladd for sure, and less so Wolski and Schremp to make their respective teams next year. Schremp probably only in case of injuries, but all the same I'll think he'll get his chance. Picard and Chipchura too I can see playing, but who knows really. :dunno:

leafaholix*

thestonedkoala said:
I'd be kind of pissed if Thelen made it simply because he needs more time in the NCAA to find his defensive game.

Here's a name: Roman Voloshenko. Especially if the Russian League puts pressure on the International Committee to raise the fees of their players going to America.

Plus Wild need another goal scorer!
From his scouting report, he looks atleast 3 or 4 years away.

leafaholix*

thestonedkoala said:
Same thing could be said about Burns...
How are Voloshenko and Burns similar?

Burns is massive in size, an extremely good skater, and a terrific defensive forward as an 18 year old. Voloshenko is much smaller, a poor skater with questionable hockey sense.

I'm probably being too harsh on him, but you've had a history of overrating Minnesota's prospects... don't overrate Roman Voloshenko.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Ovechkin. Chippy. Olesz.

I'm surprised more people aren't going with Olesz. I've never been big on the guy, but one of the things I kept hearing about him is that he's one of the more NHL-ready guys. Does he have a contract situation?

Outside shot: Picard
CBJ always take a long, hard look at their young players. If he works hard in camp, he'll at least get his 10 games before his contract kicks in.
WIth young guys like Fritsche, Jackman and Lindstrom close to NHL-ready though, space is going to be tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad