GDT: STORM FOLKS @ MONTRÉAL CHLAMYDIÉNS

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I've thought the same thing to be honest.

I mean, I'm all for trolling Montreal because I dislike them but let the damn win do the talking, that's all that needs to be said.

You need to get it over it athletes get paid to play to win. None of them are tied to the Canadians they will leave to go where the money is. We are not bullying the players. The entity "Montreal Canadians" is a thing and can't be bullied. If fans get butt hurt by this its on them no one is bullying them. The Canes twitter team is making fun of a non living, non feeling, unconscious entity.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just think it's kind of childish, cringey I guess as the kids say.

I was on board with the Bunch of Jerks thing, I'm not so on board w/ beating dead horses like the Nashville banner thing or now this, just let the W on the ice do the talking.

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I was on board with the Bunch of Jerks thing, I'm not so on board w/ beating dead horses like the Nashville banner thing or now this, just let the W on the ice do the talking.

I think the plan is to stay viral and stay in the news with a combination of social media antics and a respectable on-ice product. I also think trying to please everyone, and be the "nice guy" franchise is a thing of the past. That's not how DD is running the show.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You know, when the Quebec market was saying for years that we didn't even deserve a team, and we were living on pins and needles wondering whether we'd even had a team, I never really imagined this kind of day would come.

Now? f*** Quebec and everyone in it. I have zero sympathy and zero pity for their fan base. Don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

Of course what goes around comes around, and Caniac Nation will take our lumps, as all fan bases do. But right now, the opportunity is here to remind those motherf***ers that hockey in Raleigh is just as good as hockey in Montreal. They took great joy in dishing it out, so now they get to take it and take it and keep taking it. They earned every bit of this, as far as I'm concerned.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

As much shit and shots as we've taken over the years, I'm glad to see the franchise have some balls and dish it back. We've spent over 100 pages trying to explain to Habs fans the Canes rationale behind the offer sheet and how we're not going to be stuck paying a 30 pt player $6M plus...and they just keep NOT getting it or standing behind indefensible positions bc they don't know how to take it. They're so used to being the bully they can't take the little guy standing up to them. It was a good, quick jab that they took down once they sold out of shirts. Could it bite us in the ass? Sure. But I'm enjoying our franchise finally being relevant

I'm with @Navin R Slavin

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
You know, when the Quebec market was saying for years that we didn't even deserve a team, and we were living on pins and needles wondering whether we'd even had a team, I never really imagined this kind of day would come.

Now? f*** Quebec and everyone in it. I have zero sympathy and zero pity for their fan base. Don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

Of course what goes around comes around, and Caniac Nation will take our lumps, as all fan bases do. But right now, the opportunity is here to remind those motherf***ers that hockey in Raleigh is just as good as hockey in Montreal. They took great joy in dishing it out, so now they get to take it and take it and keep taking it. They earned every bit of this, as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, at the height of all that, I genuinely thought we might not survive as a franchise. And it made me sick to my stomach to think about not only losing the team, but potentially losing it to a place where I would no longer cheer for the team. And all the nastiness that came from that, I have no issues dishing it back 100 fold.

As for the social media stuff, I say it frequently. Not everything is for everyone. I enjoy a lot of it. But I don't really feel the need to talk about something be cringey or tired when I don't like it. It's just not for me and I move on until the next thing I like.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Boom. Hank just knocked it right out of the park, folks.

giphy.gif

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
The social media team is a mixed bag. The Nashville banner thing is beating a dead horse. It was OK at first, but well past the time to retire the bit.

This Montreal feud though? Inject it directly into my veins.

i liked all the banner tweets BECAUSE it was to the point of beating a dead horse

the deader the horse, the funnier the tweets became

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
But it would sting them hardest if we just pity them.
And I mean really... they haven't won a cup in a lot of these internet fans' lifetimes. The habs and canes have played in the same number of cup finals series over the last 30 years. Same number of wins over that time frame and you got to go a lot further back to find the habs' win.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
And I mean really... they haven't won a cup in a lot of these internet fans' lifetimes. The habs and canes have played in the same number of cup finals series over the last 30 years. Same number of wins over that time frame and you got to go a lot further back to find the habs' win.
I liked the comment on the main board about how the Canes can watch our most recent cup win in HD. We won in a salary cap league, not one where you had the rights to every player who played juniors for any junior team you owned for life.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
The social media team is a mixed bag. The Nashville banner thing is beating a dead horse. It was OK at first, but well past the time to retire the bit.

This Montreal feud though? Inject it directly into my veins.
Yeah, the banner thing is done. Nashville put the finishing touch on that themselves after losing to Seattle. But as long as the Montreal fans get upset by it, continue to troll the hell out of them.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I think the plan is to stay viral and stay in the news with a combination of social media antics and a respectable on-ice product. I also think trying to please everyone, and be the "nice guy" franchise is a thing of the past. That's not how DD is running the show.

I've seen this point expressed and that's an interesting angle.

If this is in some way helps the franchise, I'll just hold my nose. Actually, I have to hold my nose anyway, because I love the Canes-- I just don't engage their twitter account anymore and the world keeps spinning lol.

ETA: I also can't think of a single other team I follow (and I watch almost every sport) that takes this approach on social media. That might be a part of the disconnect as well as my quasi-snowflakeness .

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu

Thanks for sharing this perspective. Well said.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I haven't looked in on the Habs board, but on the main board thread I was surprised at the number of Habs fans who either found the gimmick funny or admired it for injecting some spice into the sport. Didn't do a count, but it seemed like more Habs fans posted that they liked it than the number who posted bitching about it. Of course, the bitchers were more vehement and some posted multiple times, which might give the false impression of higher numbers.

To those Habs fans with a good sense of humor I
HatTipCartoon.jpg

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I haven't looked in on the Habs board, but on the main board thread I was surprised at the number of Habs fans who either found the gimmick funny or admired it for injecting some spice into the sport. Didn't do a count, but it seemed like more Habs fans posted that they liked it than the number who posted bitching about it. Of course, the bitchers were more vehement and some posted multiple times, which might give the false impression of higher numbers.

To those Habs fans with a good sense of humor I
HatTipCartoon.jpg

Agreed. Here's to those who can say "good game," take the L, and let it go.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown

Amen, brother. A-F'n-MEN!

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC

Embrace it the Canes want to be the Antihero at this point we are the high flying trash talking bunch of jerks who storm surge.... I love it.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad