Stopping NHL from stopping players

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Becuse NHL is a canadian/american league.
Yes to a certain extent it houses more Canadian and American depth players but the best players in the world including Swedes all come to the NHL. Barring all the best russians, but even their top grade A players have it in them to come to the NHL to play with the best. Does this mean all the teams in the NHL are the best in the world? No, of course not, there's teams in every league across the world be it KHL, Eliteserien, SM LIGA, DEL, NLA, the best teams from those leagues could probably challenge the lower to non playoff teams in the NHL. But to call the NHL a strictly Canadian/American league is quiet silly especially when you look at the scoring stats and see the european influence!

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Please link to an article or something that says so. Becuse all i can see is "Bla bla bla Glen Sather doesnt want Lundqvist to play in WC" in the media. Not "Glen sather recomended Lundqvist to not go"

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I am certain that Glen Sather doesn't want him to go. So what? He can go anyway. It has the force of advice, a recommendation, an opinion, and not a directive, because the player has the power to go. The NHL contracts have no stipulations empowering the clubs to prevent players from going once the season has ended for each club.

Did the Caps relish the idea of Ovechkin going to the World Championships? Of course not. They would prefer he rest up, not subject himself to the risk of further injury, and get ready for the coming season. Yet the player feels it's important to go, informs the team, and the team puts the best face on it. McPhee then goes to the media after Ovechkin has left and expresses the Caps' support for his decision to go.

In the end, it's all about a player's decision.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Media writes and overreacts things like that. Deep inside Lundqvist knew he's not 100% ready for WC. And with Team Sweden declines he probably figured its better to say it was Rags wish aswell other than beeing "tired" or "not ready". Honestly, he should've said it like Lehtonen that you dont feel 100% and thats it. End of speculation.

Doghandler

Jul 9, 2010
Sweden
I am certain that Glen Sather doesn't want him to go. So what? He can go anyway. It has the force of advice, a recommendation, an opinion, and not a directive, because the player has the power to go. The NHL contracts have no stipulations empowering the clubs to prevent players from going once the season has ended for each club.

Did the Caps relish the idea of Ovechkin going to the World Championships? Of course not. They would prefer he rest up, not subject himself to the risk of further injury, and get ready for the coming season. Yet the player feels it's important to go, informs the team, and the team puts the best face on it. McPhee then goes to the media after Ovechkin has left and expresses the Caps' support for his decision to go.

In the end, it's all about a player's decision.

This. So much this. Swedish media tends to write that the clubs stopped this or that player from going. It is just not true. Bäckström could have done just what Ovie did. Listened to the Caps saying they feel he should rest up and not risk any injuries and what not. And then gone to the WC if he wanted too and wasn't injured.

This is a european media thing, it's a lot easier to write that the Rangers stopped Lunkan from going than "He doesn't want to go" for whatever reason.

"He dont want to go play" doesn't sell papers. "Rangers stops Lundqvist to play the WC" does"

Last edited:

Barkkonen

May 10, 2011
sheesh

only way making wc more interesting in NA is to hold the tournament before season starts in NA(semptember). Otherwise making WC quality better would be creating European League same magnitude as NHL is and invite all european players from NHL to it. It would make 2 equally good leagues and maybe then NA fans would wake up and be interested in international competitions wheter it is WC or Olympics. And as european hockey fan it would be so great that i wouldn't have to stay awake till 5am to watch hockey games! just my 2 cents

ps. sorry for bad english, just had to express my feelings in this matter

Ogopogo*

People always complain about the quality of WC. Its inevitable to avoid. But what if IIHF could "gain" more power then NHL and make NHL stop players from to take part of the WC. Like if they stop players from take part of the WC both Canada and USA shoudlt be allowed to participate in WC and the olympics?

Is something like this realistic and would you like to see it? How should IIHF if so do it?

The cold, harsh reality is, North America is where the money is for hockey. That is why the NHL is here and the best players come here to play.

That being said, North Americans generally don't care that much about the WC, they would much rather watch the Stanley Cup playoffs.

So, as a North American I say, leave it as is. The WC to me is nothing more than a way for the Oilers young guys to develop their games a little bit. Who wins is of no matter. The Stanley Cup is what matters to me.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
The NHL is a lot more powerful than IIHF. My question would be what if they actually bothered to use the influence they have?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Okay. How do the Canadian and American hockey federations influence the NHL?

To be fair, USA and Canada Hockey are the de facto NHL representatives for the IIHF.

For instance, it's not the NHL but USA and Canada Hockey who sign the IIHF transfer cards for any transfer from/to the NHL.

The Hudler situation is a good example of cohesion between the two.
Although 100% legal under IIHF rules (rules which USA Hockey is bound) USA Hockey didn't sign the Hudler transfer card because of NHL influence. When the issue was later brought to court, USA Hockey representatives didn't even bother showing up.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
NHL would be crazy to send to WCH their best players each and every season in the middle of the playoffs. holding a WC every year is one of the dumbest things ever.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be fair, USA and Canada Hockey are the de facto NHL representatives for the IIHF.

For instance, it's not the NHL but USA and Canada Hockey who sign the IIHF transfer cards for any transfer from/to the NHL.

The Hudler situation is a good example of cohesion between the two.
Although 100% legal under IIHF rules (rules which USA Hockey is bound) USA Hockey didn't sign the Hudler transfer card because of NHL influence. When the issue was later brought to court, USA Hockey representatives didn't even bother showing up.

Yeah the only thing the Canada and USA Hockey Federations really concern themselves with is the development of youth hockey. Otherwise the NHL is basically the de-facto 'IIHF' for the North American continent, as everything hockey here is designed to trickle up to or trickle down from the NHL.

And has been mentioned many times already to the OP, the NHL isn't actually able to stop players from going to the WC's. Some clubs may encourage the players not to but if you're talking about a franchise player like Henrik Lundqvist it really is up to the player. The Rangers need Lundqvist a hell of a lot more than Lundqvist needs the Rangers, and with UFA age of 27 the team has to keep it's key players happy.

Barkkonen

May 10, 2011
NHL would be crazy to send to WCH their best players each and every season in the middle of the playoffs. holding a WC every year is one of the dumbest things ever.

holding SC playoffs every year is as dumb as WC and i dont see any reason to play 82 regular season games to find out 16best teams to play in SC.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Which confirms Dr. No's statement ("How do the Canadian and American hockey federations influence the NHL?"): The Federations have no authority over the NHL. The NHL, on the other hand, influences the Federations.

vezna*

i would be annoyed if my players left the team to play in the WC even if it is for team canada

the NHL PAYS people to play for them. don't sign the contract if you want to play international hockey. seems easy enough.

Doghandler

Jul 9, 2010
Sweden
To be fair, "He doesn't want to go" has sold tons of papers throughout the years.

Granted. But that goes for a certain type of players. Dont get me wrong, I love him and I think he is a brilliant goalie but Lundqvist is a bit of a media "golden boy" overhere so that's why I mentioned him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The NHL is by far the best league in the world.

That's no longer true. You'll see in a couple of years or better in 5 years NHL will lose the nimbus. NHL is the best league right now but not by far. Until 2014 it will stay that way. But I don't see NHL on top come 2018.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The only possibility would be to put WC somewhere in June. Which is ridiculous for the european players as their leagues would be on vacation for quite a while by that time. so it's not going to happen.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
That's no longer true. You'll see in a couple of years or better in 5 years NHL will lose the nimbus. NHL is the best league right now but not by far. Until 2014 it will stay that way. But I don't see NHL on top come 2018.
Oh i'm sure all the canadian hockey players are going to go around other leagues and play! Canada produces the most depth in the world, not even close not even Russia, Sweden, Finland comes close to the depth of players Canada produces and until that remains the NHL will always be fine. And it's only the russians that leave so it's not really a problem because the best russians will always be in the NHL barring a couple of good players like Radulov but the great players will all be in the NHL. The Stanley Cup playoffs just prove where the best Hockey in the world is played. Send the championship team from any other league in the world right now to play any one of the 4 remaining in the NHL and it wouldn't even be close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad