Stopping NHL from stopping players

vezna*

That's no longer true. You'll see in a couple of years or better in 5 years NHL will lose the nimbus. NHL is the best league right now but not by far. Until 2014 it will stay that way. But I don't see NHL on top come 2018.
what's your reasoning behind this?

i like how you said it is "no longer true" and then conclude it with you not seeing it in "2018"

kind of weak to negate your initial argument in the same paragraph

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
maybe, but I'd like to hear your argument

the argument is that I don't know of any other sport holding a WC every season. they might be, but the important ones have WC's at every four years, or worst case scenario every two years. the fact that a WC is being held every year weakens the tournament and makes it look semi-official.

NHL is a national league like any other national league in the world. of course a champion is being crowned each and every season.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Oh i'm sure all the canadian hockey players are going to go around other leagues and play! Canada produces the most depth in the world, not even close not even Russia, Sweden, Finland comes close to the depth of players Canada produces and until that remains the NHL will always be fine. And it's only the russians that leave so it's not really a problem because the best russians will always be in the NHL barring a couple of good players like Radulov but the great players will all be in the NHL. The Stanley Cup playoffs just prove where the best Hockey in the world is played. Send the championship team from any other league in the world right now to play any one of the 4 remaining in the NHL and it wouldn't even be close.

Let's be honest, there's nothing inherently better about the NHL other than it's the wealthiest league.
Theoretically, if the KHL paid the highest average salary, North Americans would leave for Russia in droves because, collectively, talent follows the money.
But under no circumstance do I see the KHL ever becoming as wealthy as the NHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Oh i'm sure all the canadian hockey players are going to go around other leagues and play! Canada produces the most depth in the world, not even close not even Russia, Sweden, Finland comes close to the depth of players Canada produces and until that remains the NHL will always be fine. And it's only the russians that leave so it's not really a problem because the best russians will always be in the NHL barring a couple of good players like Radulov but the great players will all be in the NHL. The Stanley Cup playoffs just prove where the best Hockey in the world is played. Send the championship team from any other league in the world right now to play any one of the 4 remaining in the NHL and it wouldn't even be close.
That's the most important factor why NHL will fail. You are so ridiculously overconfident. Why do you think anybody would need canadian players to go over??? And your quote about the NHL teams... I feel sorry for you, but the best KHL teams would definitely at least give NHL teams a fight right now. This is such a blind belief in the NHL. And then you really believe best europeans will keep coming to the NHL. It is now, but it will change quickly. Level of play in the NHL is dropping for a couple of decades now. So it's not the european leagues getting better alone. It's also the NHL getting worse. Again, I'm sorry but you are as wrong as the ppl in Europe who call KHL to completely take over. We'll face some kind of parity in 5 to 10 years. Regretably I doubt the NHL would agree to a super series of some kind, 'cause they could only lose. It would be a nice matchup, even now.

Canuckommunist

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
They would give them a fight in a one-off game where the KHL has everything to win (prestige, bonuses from their superiors, little worry for repudiation if they injure someone, etc.) while the NHL has everything to lose and no incentive to compete. If you put the top KHL/Swedish/Finnish, whatever team against the Stanley Cup winner in a 7-game series they'd get absolutely plastered.

I don't really understand your skepticism of the NHL's continued international dominance. I'm guessing it's ideological and there's no convincing you otherwise (maybe you've got a hold of some good bud, iono) but there's no evidence to suggest that what you say will come to pass. The level of play in the NHL has not been "dropping" it's becoming more and more competitive. I imagine a few more Europeans will be encouraged to stay home by their hockey unions but the lure of money, fame, the stability of American markets, etc. is something that's hard to compete against.

Atas2000 said:
That's the most important factor why NHL will fail. <snip>

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Level of play in the NHL is dropping for a couple of decades now.

Level of play is dropping since ... 1970? 1980? 1990? What are you talking about?

So it's not the european leagues getting better alone.

The european leagues are getting better? Seriously? Other than the KHL, that's just wrong. Elitserien, SM-Liiga, Extraleague etc. used to be stronger than today. Nowadays the best players usually leave for the NHL or the KHL.

We'll face some kind of parity in 5 to 10 years. Regretably I doubt the NHL would agree to a super series of some kind, 'cause they could only lose.

The NHL played the Soviets in the 70s, the NHL plays european teams every pre-season... nothing to win in there either. I'm sure the NHL is not going to be afraid of a "super series", given a state of parity should ever be reached.

And what's more bothering? The overconfidence of some NHL homers or the obsession with which some KHL/european homers bash the NHL?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If anything the KHL has been a disappointment in terms of quality to me. You have guys like Weinhandl, Thoresen or Ellison doing really well, like top scorer well, and it basically shows that this is a skilled AHL.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
The thing is.. even if the USA sent their best players, no one in the USA would watch or care. American players know that, hence why they dont go.

Also, do you really think American/Canadien fans would care if the best Euro players did not come over? It would be the 1980s all over again and last time I checked, thats what everyone wants back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad