Stone vs Chiasson

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I wouldnt use this full time, but a Smith-Legwand-Stone line would probably be our best combo for a shut down line late in close games. 3 big bodies who are physical and good defensively.

As for Lazar, I'm not even sure he gets nine games. Theres no room at C or RW, he said he doesnt feel comfortable at LW, and he wasnt as effective there in games.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
"Spectacular" is a superlative word generally used to describe the play of elite players. Stone is not at that level in the NHL. Good or very good might be a more accurate term, and it should be qualified by saying for a new prospective player.

Thanks to the adjective police for cracking the case.

This thread makes me wonder a bit what to expect from Hoffman this year and beyond. I guess there is a spot on the team for both him and stone but I could see stone getting a higher priority this year.

I know he has earned his way up here but this is a huge year for him to take it to the next level, there are lots of guys knocking on the door to get nhl games

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Based on one preseason split squad game....Chiasson lol

Seriously though i think Stone has a much more accomplished track record

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Here's a link, he lost 15 pounds, but was able to keep playing. He also suffered from post traumatic event stress after the Peverly incident.

Thanks for the link, but I was well aware of his illness before I posted that. I guess maybe it comes down to semantics. You can see a guy get a bad flu and lose weight at the mid-point of the season and think that it has nothing to do with him being a first year pro. Or think that maybe he's learning what you have to do to manage your body and yourself over the course of a long, intense season.

One guy said the "wall" was imagined...

The Peverley thing obviously couldn't be avoided, and was the reason for 1 of the games he missed last year. I like Chiasson and have since he came into the league. I didn't say anything against him- just that it will be interesting to season how he's dealt with the wall he hit last year.

I would consider an illness that caused him to lose 15 pounds mid-season significant

I'd consider an illness that causes a player to miss a number of games significant- but surely losing that much weight during the season isn't ideal.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Thanks for the link, but I was well aware of his illness before I posted that. I guess maybe it comes down to semantics. You can see a guy get a bad flu and lose weight at the mid-point of the season and think that it has nothing to do with him being a first year pro. Or think that maybe he's learning what you have to do to manage your body and yourself over the course of a long, intense season.

One guy said the "wall" was imagined...

The Peverley thing obviously couldn't be avoided, and was the reason for 1 of the games he missed last year. I like Chiasson and have since he came into the league. I didn't say anything against him- just that it will be interesting to season how he's dealt with the wall he hit last year.

I'd consider an illness that causes a player to miss a number of games significant- but surely losing that much weight during the season isn't ideal.

What actually that guy (me) said was "Chaisson had a significant illness last year, nothing to do with a "wall" of the real or imaginary type".

I responded solely because it appeared you weren't aware of the health issues and were attempting to use stereotyping to support your claim Chaisson hit the wall because all NCAA players do.

Now that you say you were aware of Chaisson's illness and subsequent weight loss, your initial comments about him hitting "the wall" really indicate you were just being negative for no factual reason.

Anyone with a minimal knowledge of the human body appreciates that sudden weight loss in any human means a loss of muscle tissue, slowing of the metabolism and dehydration.

For a professional athlete these changes would have an enormous impact on performance and a likely drop in confidence level.

Post the Olympic break, after Chaisson had the opportunity to put some of the weight back on, reports were over the last several months Chaisson was one of, if not the best player many nights.

Without the illness, Chaisson would probably have hit 15-18 goals and 50 points in his rookie season.

Makes it easy to appreciate why BM and company wanted him as the centerpiece in return for Spezza.

Last edited:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
What actually that guy (me) said was "Chaisson had a significant illness last year, nothing to do with a "wall" of the real or imaginary type".

I responded solely because it appeared you weren't aware of the health issues and were attempting to use stereotyping to support your claim Chaisson hit the wall because all NCAA players do.

Now that you say you were aware of Chaisson's illness and subsequent weight loss, your initial comments about him hitting "the wall" really indicates you were doing exactly that, stereotyping.

Anyone with a minimal knowledge of the human body appreciates that sudden weight loss in any human means a loss of muscle tissue, slowing of the metabolism and dehydration.

For a professional athlete these changes would have an enormous impact on performance and a likely drop in confidence level.

Post the Olympic break, after Chaisson had the opportunity to put some of the weight back on, reports were over the last several months Chaisson was one of, if not the best player many nights.

Without the illness, Chaisson would probably have hit 15-18 goals and 50 points in his rookie season.

Makes it easy to appreciate why BM and company wanted him as the centerpiece in return for Spezza.

So you'd also understand that there are things people can do to guard against (or become more vulnerable to) illnesses such as the flu, right? Or how to cope with it in a more timely manner?

Seems like you're pointing to the effect and I'm talking about the cause. The "wall" isn't just guys forgetting how to play hockey. An 82 game season is a physical and mental grind that needs to be experienced before you can truly know how you're going to react to it.

And yes- by many accounts Chiasson was a different player after the Olympic break. I only hope he doesn't need it this year, though, because there isn't one on the docket.:laugh:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks to the adjective police for cracking the case.

This thread makes me wonder a bit what to expect from Hoffman this year and beyond. I guess there is a spot on the team for both him and stone but I could see stone getting a higher priority this year.

I know he has earned his way up here but this is a huge year for him to take it to the next level, there are lots of guys knocking on the door to get nhl games

You're very welcome.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
So you'd also understand that there are things people can do to guard against (or become more vulnerable to) illnesses such as the flu, right? Or how to cope with it in a more timely manner?

Seems like you're pointing to the effect and I'm talking about the cause. The "wall" isn't just guys forgetting how to play hockey. An 82 game season is a physical and mental grind that needs to be experienced before you can truly know how you're going to react to it.

And yes- by many accounts Chiasson was a different player after the Olympic break. I only hope he doesn't need it this year, though, because there isn't one on the docket.:laugh:

Absolutely, but every season players young and old get the flu just like the general population and there is little anyone can do about it.

My understanding was he also developed tonsillitis or strep throat which compounded his problems.

IMO to continue to hang on to what was a major assumption and absolutely based on zero fact is praise worthy, even for this board. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Stone has the potential to over time be a better offensive payer than Chiasson although Chiasson may get more pts than Stone this yr. I think Chiasson is the better defensive player & maybe tougher player who can also add some offence to the team. They are almost interchangeable depending on what their line mates need on a given line or in a given game. I'm quite sure PM will be moving both of them around as required & where needed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
IMO Stone has the potential to over time be a better offensive payer than Chiasson although Chiasson may get more pts than Stone this yr. I think Chiasson is the better defensive player & maybe tougher player who can also add some offence to the team. They are almost interchangeable depending on what their line mates need on a given line or in a given game. I'm quite sure PM will be moving both of them around as required & where needed.

That's my assessment too, due to Stone's performance in junior and in the AHL. Based on the article on Chiasson, it appears that the flu plus a problem with anxiety caused his play to falter last year. I hope he is getting treatment for anxiety as that can be a major problem for people. I wish them both well. I am looking forward to seeing them play for the senators and hopefully developing chemistry with some of our centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad