Stone vs Chiasson

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Who do you think is better? I've always thought Stone was a little better but Chiasson has looked quite nice in the preseason. Could easily see them both hit 20+ this year.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Chiasson looks real good you're right. Like his attitude on the ice, always up in someone's grill.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They look to me to be very interchangeable at this point in their careers. Not sure who will be better but Stone seems to have the IQ & offensive skill to be great. Glad to have both.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Chiasson might have a bit better shot at this point, and be a hair faster (can't really tell just on two games though of seeing Chiasson), but Stone has considerably higher upside overall, as his set-up abilities are really top notch.

I think both will get long looks over this season (and probably next) and there is plenty of ice-time to go around long-term, but I'd buy into Stone's upside longer term.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm happy that Chia seems to be scoring some dirty goals around the net. Stone can also do that. Gives us some options instead of putting Neil there.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Very hard to say at this point. Stone has the higher potential, but but higher bust potential imo.

Chaisson already looks like a very useful player, and looks to be at minimum a quality 3rd liner from what I've seen. His high end is still TBD in my eyes though. Can he ever top 40? 50? His history doesn't suggest so.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I am a bit surprised by this question. They are at different stages in their careers and different ages.

Stone is a prospect. I like him a lot and can easily see him spending all of his time this season in Ottawa and pie in the sky hopes that he might get 15 goals. I could also see him doing a stint in Bingo.

Chiasson is an NHLer. He went the college route so was slower getting to the pro level. He played a full season last year He's got 86 games on his resume and 19 goals. And he played thru a significant energy sapping virus last year that must have had an impact on his productivity. Chiasson is a lock on a second line job this year, 17 + minutes a game and PP time. Anything less than 20 goals will be disappointing

Stone may well have a better career but right now Chiasson is a lock on that 2nd line job and provides a huge reason for optimism for me as Sens fan.

BigBush*

Chaisson. He looks a lot bigger and more athletic out there than Stone. He is a few years older than Stone though.

BigBush*

Very hard to say at this point. Stone has the higher potential, but but higher bust potential imo.

Chaisson already looks like a very useful player, and looks to be at minimum a quality 3rd liner from what I've seen. His high end is still TBD in my eyes though. Can he ever top 40? 50? His history doesn't suggest so.
What about his history makes you think he can't top 40 or 50 points?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

I'd say stones chance of busting went to close to 0 last year. At this point he probably has a higher upside than chiasson and a lower low point. He's gonna be an nhler unless injuries that slow him down change that

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
What about his history makes you think he can't top 40 or 50 points?

He's never really been a prolific scorer, and 50pts in the nhl is no easy task.

I do think he's capable of it though, just sorta playing devils advocate here.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd say stones chance of busting went to close to 0 last year. At this point he probably has a higher upside than chiasson and a lower low point. He's gonna be an nhler unless injuries that slow him down change that

If stone was ever to lose any speed (injury or otherwise) he could very well find himself as a career ahler.

I'd agree he has a low, low bust potential, he's just too smart to not make it. But chaisson has looked more like an NHLer to me so far.

Prove me wrong Stone. Your move.

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
Way to early to say but Chaisson is off to a damn good start. Talk to me after they each play 10 games this season.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
He's never really been a prolific scorer, and 50pts in the nhl is no easy task.

I do think he's capable of it though, just sorta playing devils advocate here.

46 points in 38 games at Boston University. Which happens to be pretty much what Dzingle did last year at the same age.

2011-12 Boston University..... H-East 38 15 31 46 67
2013-14 Ohio State University Big-10 37 22 24 46 34

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'd go with Stone. More skilled and a really high level of understanding on the ice. Chiasson definitely has a good hockey IQ as well but I don't think he's as naturally skilled as Stone.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON

He has 42 pts in 86 games... That averages out to 40.018 pts in 82 games. So that being his pace already, plus the fact that he was technically still a rookie last year and that young players generally improve would both be good arguments against the bolded. :laugh:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He has 42 pts in 86 games... That averages out to 40.018 pts in 82 games. So that being his pace already, plus the fact that he was technically still a rookie last year and that young players generally improve would both be good arguments against the bolded. :laugh:
A huge portion of those points came in a short span of games in which he produced at a rate that is way outside of any thing he's done at other levels. I think it's best to just ignore his past given the outrageous scoring pace he set early then the huge slump while battling illness and wait and see what he can produce. If you're going to compare Stone and Chiasson, I think their AHL careers would be a better comparison.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
46 points in 38 games at Boston University. Which happens to be pretty much what Dzingle did last year at the same age.

2011-12 Boston University..... H-East 38 15 31 46 67
2013-14 Ohio State University Big-10 37 22 24 46 34

Fine but Dzingle isn't a prolific NHL scorer, so Im not sure what else this suggests other than they both had some pedigree coming into their pro careers, as do most prospects.

College stats don't tell me a whole lot personally. The AHL is a far better indicator.

Again, I feel I should say that I think Chaisson is capable of 50pts, maybe more. But he's not a lock to even hit 40 until he shows he can be consistent over the course of an 82 game season.

Keep in mind that for Greening, it looked like 40+ points would likely be a regular thing for him after his first two seasons, without him ever actually scoring at that pace since.

Last edited:

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
A huge portion of those points came in a short span of games in which he produced at a rate that is way outside of any thing he's done at other levels. I think it's best to just ignore his past given the outrageous scoring pace he set early then the huge slump while battling illness and wait and see what he can produce. If you're going to compare Stone and Chiasson, I think their AHL careers would be a better comparison.

They both have small sample sizes to draw from in the A, but this is what I get when scratching the surface.

1. They had comparable 2012/13 seasons in terms of offensive output. (35pts in 57gp vs 37pts in 54gp) although Stone was Bingo's leading scorer while Chiasson was 5th on Texas.

2. Chiasson stood out in camp and made Dallas's full-time NHL roster in a seemingly deeper system while Stone spent the majority of his 13/14 in the minors.

But I agree lol. I'm just so tired of waiting to wait and see though.... I want reg. season hockey alreaadyyy :cry:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The reality is that even if it's only a numbers game Chiasson is guaranteed a NHL spot while Stone still has to force the Sens to keep him here to start the season.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stone was over a PPG at 21 in the AHL. I guess in fairness to Chaisson, that was Stone's second pro season. But either way, I think its safe to say that Stone has been a more prolific scorer than Chaisson up to this point.

What Chaisson has going for himself at this point is his willingness to drive to the net, and the fact that he gets up and down the ice very nicely for a big man. Very desirable traits in the NHL, and they can be used anywhere on the roster.

Stone still plays more like a finess player in my opinion. Not nearly physical enough for a guy his size. Its not even really a knock against him, just an observation. Would love to see him get more involved without the puck.

Last edited:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Despite some physical similarities, they're pretty different players.

I liken Chiasson to a poor man's Andreychuk. Big guy who can get a good shot off regardless of where it is in relation to his feet.

Stone is more cerebral and will be a better disher. He'll make his linemates better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad