Confirmed with Link: Stone(50%) to Calgary for 2017 3rd and Conditional 2018 5th.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
As it stands, I'd protect Schenn.

OEL, Goligoski, Murphy, Schenn
Reider, Richardson, Duclair, Martinook

This exposes McGinn and Burmistrov to Vegas, as well as our UFAs.

I'd have to agree. Schenn isn't the best player. He's definitely a bottom pairing guy, but he plays it well and we only have two RHS defensemen that need protecting. I think we keep Schenn. He's earned his contract money for sure.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Incredibly, no - at least, not the last time I looked. Winnipeg is below us. :laugh:

I think DeAngelo is a question mark, but not Wood. IIRC the team was impressed as hell by Wood in camp but figured that they could afford to give him a year with Tucson to develop further. I'm nearly positive he'll earn a spot out of camp next year.
Wood's PT was reduced with Tony D return to Tucson, including being moved to the 2nd PP unit....reason why his number's are down the past 10-12 games. Hopefully that changes now.

Why Z and McBain are taking minutes from him makes no sense to me.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I hope we protect Schenn, he's been very good. I'd even be ok with him resigning for a reasonable deal as long his play stays at or close to this level. Depending on how well DeAngelo and wood do next year in the NHL, and if we think Schenn is a long term 3rd pairing guy, Murphy could be expendable. I think next year we should keep Murphy and Schenn on the right and leave a spot for wood and DeAngelo to fight for. Whoever loses is first call up from Tucson, or even our 7 with some switching if KConn goes.

If we could swing it I'd be open to moving Murphy with another piece for a high end rh dman. Then we'd have :

Oel - new acquisition
Goose - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Schenn

Pretty solid. If we can't get a better dman Schenn with Oel has actually been pretty effective, so Murphy could take his place by Chychrun.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Same. Arena issue likely takes us out of UFA.

I can't imagine they were able to convince Goligoski to come here because of one potential deal (which has already fell through). But you never know.

Sounds like we were close to getting Shatty last offseason but couldn't agree on term/price. That is why I don't think we will be adding him this year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I can't imagine they were able to convince Goligoski to come here because of one potential deal (which has already fell through). But you never know.

Well, a lot of assumptions were made on the Goose signing - he expected us to stay put, and we expected him to be a solid defenseman. :laugh:

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I don't expect it at all but I'd be willing to throw a ton of money to land Shatty. Guy would shore up our back end some nice heading forward. Would be a huge hole plugged.

I hope Vegas takes Schenn, never really liked the guy, although he's done better than I expected here. He's absolutely not a top 4, let alone top 2 D though.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I hope Vegas takes Schenn, never really liked the guy, although he's done better than I expected here. He's absolutely not a top 4, let alone top 2 D though.

Yeah I feel he is weighing down on OEL's offensive game this year. They have been a pretty good pair, but OEL can't pinch as much because he needs to make up for Schenn's lack of speed. He has been better than advertised, and if we keep him in the top slot of an additional season, so be it. But Vegas picking him up would force Chyaka to make a move which I'm all for.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
I hope we protect Schenn, he's been very good. I'd even be ok with him resigning for a reasonable deal as long his play stays at or close to this level. Depending on how well DeAngelo and wood do next year in the NHL, and if we think Schenn is a long term 3rd pairing guy, Murphy could be expendable. I think next year we should keep Murphy and Schenn on the right and leave a spot for wood and DeAngelo to fight for. Whoever loses is first call up from Tucson, or even our 7 with some switching if KConn goes.

If we could swing it I'd be open to moving Murphy with another piece for a high end rh dman. Then we'd have :

Oel - new acquisition
Goose - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Schenn

Pretty solid. If we can't get a better dman Schenn with Oel has actually been pretty effective, so Murphy could take his place by Chychrun.

I'd breakup the Goligoski/Deangelo pairing. They just didn't seem to fit well to me

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd breakup the Goligoski/Deangelo pairing. They just didn't seem to fit well to me

On Morgans podcast he reaffirmed Goli's ability to play both sides. If Chychrun is capable of moving into atop 4 role they couldmove Goli to right side. He then fantasizes about a Shattenkirk signing to round out our top 4D.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Canes get a 2nd from the Pens for Hainsey with no retention.

Treliving wiped the floor with a Chayka.

The only defense is if this was a solid to Stone and his wife, but this is undercut by Chayka himself saying that teams weren't interested (ie-"I couldn't read the market").
An experiended AGM would've been helpful. Too bad no qualified candidates were interested in taking a back seat to both the rookie GM and Tipp.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The only defense is if this was a solid to Stone and his wife, but this is undercut by Chayka himself saying that teams weren't interested (ie-"I couldn't read the market").
An experiended AGM would've been helpful. Too bad no qualified candidates were interested in taking a back seat to both the rookie GM and Tipp.

If Bozo Birdie oysters Treliving, he needs to take Tippett's front office job as Chayka's boss/mentor and DT needs to be ****-canned out of town. Replaced by Jeff Blashill if Detroit fires him.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Why would Michael Stone have more value than Ron Hainsey? Given the choice, do you think Pittsburgh would rather have had Stone for the same price?

Feb 12, 2003
The value is quite nearly the same. I really do not understand why anyone is freaking out on this. Kristo was a warm body to take up a contract spot, and probably actually has negative value in that regard which makes it an even swap to the Stone deal.

The Canes end up with a pick about 15 spots higher, but that comes with the difference of who you are trading with. They also have one more contract eating up a space that the Coyotes do not have at the moment which can limit flexibility at the deadline.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I didn't realize Hainsey was having a good year. He was slipping the last couple of years and I thought the trend was continuing. It's probably about the same.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

You should apply:) There was retention on Hainsy and he is better, at this time, than Stone. Pretty fair and equal trades in both cases.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Looking at Stone's numbers more closely, it's impressive they got even a third for him. He's been pretty awful this year. These numbers are only through mid-January (that's the last time Own The Puck updated their database), but a few weeks of improved play won't change his value much. This includes data from this season and the previous two.

In short, he's been getting consistent top four minutes but has performed like the player I've said he is for years: a bottom pairing defender with a good shot.

qlyxrTt.png

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Right? And Vermette was a net negative. We're better off paying him to play elsewhere and saving $67,000. This organization has never made a bad move.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Just because teams have overpaid for Roman Polak and Douglas Murray in the past doesn't make this a bad deal. If it's a bad deal, it's because Stone is a marginal player, not because Chayka got rolled.

What do we think a "savvy" GM would have gotten for an asset like Stone? A 2nd and a contract?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't say he got rolled. He should have waited and the return is more underwhelming than the way Stone started the season. I think Chayka/Tipp misjudged the amount of interest and misplayed his hand; it was a bad trade imo for those reasons. The sort someone inexperienced will make. It wasn't God-awful. Noone is "freaking out".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad