Confirmed with Link: Stone(50%) to Calgary for 2017 3rd and Conditional 2018 5th.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That being said just what do people really think that a 3rd pairing D on rental is worth?

It's currency.

The comparable for a 3rd at deadline include Schultz who has been much improved in Pittsburgh. Of course on that team I'm good for a couple if I can skate to the net and keep my stick on the ice.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
But it's important to note that he wasn't all that great before the injury, either. He put up decent point totals last year because he had some powerplay time and lots of soft even strength minutes, but he's never been better than mediocre at generating or suppressing shots.

I think people see decent point totals and a big body and assume he's Shea Weber-lite. He's Ron Hainsey-lite.

Soft minutes? Who told you that rubbish? Only Murphy and Grossman received less offensive zone starts and only Murphy had to deal with more defensive zone starts.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Stone would've been a much better grab than say Brendan Smith who just got a 2nd and 3rd somehow...

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
It was a little strange that Stone got traded so early prior the deadline.

This sort of depth players tends to be moved on the last day as a team suddenly feels it needs that "depth" seeing other teams loading up and gives up more.

I am not sure what the exact rational was to trade him there and then.... and I have not read anything convincing about the timing of the trade since.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It was a little strange that Stone got traded so early prior the deadline.

This sort of depth players tends to be moved on the last day as a team suddenly feels it needs that "depth" seeing other teams loading up and gives up more.

I am not sure what the exact rational was to trade him there and then.... and I have not read anything convincing about the timing of the trade since.

It essentially sent a message to other GM's that AZ was willing to make a reasonable deal. That was advertising and value was fair. That trade wasn't so much about the return on Stone but to get the market going on Hanzal.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I almost feel like Chayka did Stone a solid sending him to Calgary so his wife can get help from other family members with the twins he just had. Stone mentioned it himself in an interview. Calgary wasn't willing to give up a ton, but Chayka knew that was probably the best for Stone.

It was a low return, but if that had anything to do with the trade, I can't fault Chayka. He did Stone a huge favor if there is any truth to this.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think the most logical explanation is there are a lot of depth guys available (Hainsey and Smith have moved since, and there are a few other names still floating around), and only so many suitors. Stone also isn't very good, which everybody seems to keep forgetting.

I think there's something to the fact that he's from western Canada, but I also suspect Maloney might still be mentoring Chayka to some extent. Giving him first dibs on a player like Stone is a small fee for some hand-holding through the deadline.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
It essentially sent a message to other GM's that AZ was willing to make a reasonable deal. That was advertising and value was fair. That trade wasn't so much about the return on Stone but to get the market going on Hanzal.

Interesting. Perhaps also the fact that Chayka has/had other guys to move meant that he was happy to get this one out of the way considering that he would only get only marginal better offers as the countdown progressed.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I almost feel like Chayka did Stone a solid sending him to Calgary so his wife can get help from other family members with the twins he just had. Stone mentioned it himself in an interview. Calgary wasn't willing to give up a ton, but Chayka knew that was probably the best for Stone.

It was a low return, but if that had anything to do with the trade, I can't fault Chayka. He did Stone a huge favor if there is any truth to this.

This is very important of this is one of the reasons for the timing and destination of the trade; it sends a good message about how the franchise can/would deal with some human/personal situations in specific circumstances.

Not bad PR when it comes to free agency signing and convincing a player and his family to move to AZ.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I think the most logical explanation is there are a lot of depth guys available (Hainsey and Smith have moved since, and there are a few other names still floating around), and only so many suitors. Stone also isn't very good, which everybody seems to keep forgetting.

I think there's something to the fact that he's from western Canada, but I also suspect Maloney might still be mentoring Chayka to some extent. Giving him first dibs on a player like Stone is a small fee for some hand-holding through the deadline.

Interesting thought re. Maloney still somehow mentoring Chayka. There is indeed or reason why the connection/appreciation between the two would have stopped based on an ownership decision. This had escaped me.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ

Chayka doesn't need mentoring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad