STOLARZ...Hes BIG and TALL...could he be our WALL??

WILL STOLARZ TAKE THE REINS??

• Total voters

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
He's definitely good enough for NHL play. And I really like his big size...I just hate seeing NHL goalies when challenged with shots from the dots in all instinctively go down to their knees and always let pucks go over their shoulders. Am I wrong?

In the last Pitt game did not have too many great shots against, but plenty of scrambles and close-in chances, in which he was perfectly square, extremely calm and ultimately cleaned up all the loose stuff. Very good.

I repeat, he's definitely good enough for this squad. Even if he loses a few. Please play him a lot (20 games) before signing anyone.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Undecided on Stolie as of yet, see the potential for sure based on size alone. He got lit up here once in the OHL playoffs with London, so maybe that's why I am a tad reluctant? I think I read somewhere he started playing later in life, like high school age - pretty amazing if true, and to go on to make it pro.

Whatever the case, do not feed him whatever Neuvy has been eating lol, we gotta keep him around for the season!

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
If he emerges as a solid backup für a couple of years, I will be fine. Probably will get hurt again though.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Quite ironic that due to Hextall's firing Stolie may now get a real shot with the Flyers.

He was way down the depth chart as a temporary #5, not even getting reasonable playing time in Lehigh Valley.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Stolie's biggest problem, aside from his knees, is the crest on his chest. A crap head coach, a shaky defense, I hope for the guy, but I'm not sold. Wait and see, if he gets traded, he will blossom to at least All-Star bubble, or if not that high level, an enduring level like Boucher. (He'd probably break Boucher's record for consecutive minutes without surrendering a goal, if in a non-Flyers sweater.)

Reactions: DaphneLion

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stolarz wasn't getting time b/c of a logjam, coming off the knee injury, he wasn't ready for NHL action and needed some time in the AHL.
But with Hart, Lyon rehabbing, Neuvirth getting a rehab start, PT was hard to come by for a while.

He's getting a shot now, if he continues to play this well he'll continue to play.
Elliott didn't get injured last year b/c of his workload (injury occurred in late January after 5 games in 3 weeks) last year or this year.
When he's healthy, Elliott is an average starting goalie, last year he was ridden hard b/c Neuvirth, well . . .

If Stolarz is a capable NHL backup or better, Elliott won't play back to backs and will get games off, if Stolarz plays like Lyon or Mrazek and Neuvirth can't stay healthy, Hakstol will have no choice but to overwork Elliott and cross his fingers. Given Neuvirth's injury history, and the difficulty of getting a healthy Stolarz with some NHL games under his belt through waivers, I see them going with 3 goalies the rest of the season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Quite ironic that due to Hextall's firing Stolie may now get a real shot with the Flyers.

He was way down the depth chart as a temporary #5, not even getting reasonable playing time in Lehigh Valley.

Hextall was the GM who called him up.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm not sold, at all, but I wish him the best. Well, more in theory than reality at this point. Seems the past 283 games haven't given Homer the certainty on Jeff that they have given us, so I am going to need some real rock-solid rock-bottom spelunking here until everyone has total clarity. Fire Hakstok.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Hes going to win the Vezina this year, going to be unbeaten the rest of the year, dont pump the brakes on the hype train now, all aboard.

Chooo chooo

When will you start to believe.

The train rolls on mother f***ers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Nothing to do with Hextall's firing.
Stolarz hardly played last year and was coming off a major knee injury.
Normally, you'd like to work him in slowly and gradually increase his workload in the AHL, then bring him up.

However, nothing about this season has been normal when it comes to goalies.
He's playing because 2 goalies are injured and 2 flopped badly.

But that's often the case with prospects, an injury gives you the opportunity, but you still have to produce. Right now Elliott is in danger of being "Pipp'ed."

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He was my favorite flyers prospect after 2013. Then he got that laceration in London and its been flukey injury after flukey injury ever since. When i watched him in london he was 6'6' and an athletic freak. Positioning , rebound control were not up to par but the potential was there. I Don't know if he can handle a heavy duty schedule , but he played great in Pittsburgh.

I watched Stolarz a lot in London (the company that I worked for had box seats at Budweiser Gardens and I got to go to games all the time) and there was something about Stolarz.

What made me root for the guy was that he had zero coaching in the NAHL, went to a program at University of Nebraska - Omaha and left and then went to London where he received excellent coaching from Bill Dark.

I have high hopes still that he'll be good that he'll give the Flyers a conundrum as it pertains to him, Hart and Sandstrom. There's still some technical work that needs to be tightened up, but he's been exactly what the club needs. I certainly won't blame Columbus on him.

Reactions: Jtown

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
He's definitely good enough for NHL play. And I really like his big size...I just hate seeing NHL goalies when challenged with shots from the dots in all instinctively go down to their knees and always let pucks go over their shoulders. Am I wrong?

In the last Pitt game did not have too many great shots against, but plenty of scrambles and close-in chances, in which he was perfectly square, extremely calm and ultimately cleaned up all the loose stuff. Very good.

I repeat, he's definitely good enough for this squad. Even if he loses a few. Please play him a lot (20 games) before signing anyone.

Yes. Players would destroy a goalie who stayed upright to cover the top of the net but left the sides open. The net is wider then tall, there is more time to be covered and if you stayed upright you would have even less ability to cover that larger area.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
He needs to learn to play "Big". To many times he narrows his body when facing shooters which opens up a lot of the net. He is a big guy, he needs to use it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Undecided on Stolie as of yet, see the potential for sure based on size alone. He got lit up here once in the OHL playoffs with London, so maybe that's why I am a tad reluctant? I think I read somewhere he started playing later in life, like high school age - pretty amazing if true, and to go on to make it pro.

Whatever the case, do not feed him whatever Neuvy has been eating lol, we gotta keep him around for the season!

He didn’t start that late. Eliteprospects has him down as playing hockey as far back as 2007-2008.

Anthony Stolarz at eliteprospects.com

The thing with Stolarz is he got cut from that New Jersey team after the year in 2010-2011. He had to try out for a spot in the NAHL that summer for Corpus Christi which he did & had stock sky rocket for the NHL draft as well as for college interest.

He was just trying to make that team going into his draft year, getting drafted & going to college was an even bigger long shot at that point.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Stolie is playing very well. To the point where I do not worry about him in net. Can't say the same about any of our other goalies and this year Elliott too. He started very very bad and looked off. Then got it together. Then got hurt.

I'd give the nod to Stolie 60/40 when Elliott is back. Try to move Elliott at the deadline and run Stolie until Hart is ready at his own pace.

Kid deserves this shot. He earned it and hasn't given a reason for it to be taken away

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
He needs to learn to play "Big". To many times he narrows his body when facing shooters which opens up a lot of the net. He is a big guy, he needs to use it.
I actually found that he has been pretty good at making himself look big. He's faced several breakaways or half step breakaways and shut the shooter down completely.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Stolie is playing very well. To the point where I do not worry about him in net. Can't say the same about any of our other goalies and this year Elliott too. He started very very bad and looked off. Then got it together. Then got hurt.

I'd give the nod to Stolie 60/40 when Elliott is back. Try to move Elliott at the deadline and run Stolie until Hart is ready at his own pace.

Kid deserves this shot. He earned it and hasn't given a reason for it to be taken away

if the guy was completely healthy from the start he was drafted, i was say yes but just other goalies on this roster, there are injury problems, so counting on him is a really bad idea, they still need a goalie going into next year if hart isnt ready, cant count on stalarz he's a major injury risk to be a starter. if hak runs him to the ground more likely he will get injuried again.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Yes. Players would destroy a goalie who stayed upright to cover the top of the net but left the sides open. The net is wider then tall, there is more time to be covered and if you stayed upright you would have even less ability to cover that larger area.
I completely agree...what I am complaining about is how much the top corners have become by default, easier shots. And that Stolarz actually has some height to offset that, even one inch at 15 feet means a much smaller target to score.

NHL Shooting game is changing, stick with Stolie until he fails is my ask. And then try him again, I just love his solid centredness as style and his overall bulk.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I completely agree...what I am complaining about is how much the top corners have become by default, easier shots. And that Stolarz actually has some height to offset that, even one inch at 15 feet means a much smaller target to score.

NHL Shooting game is changing, stick with Stolie until he fails is my ask. And then try him again, I just love his solid centredness as style and his overall bulk.
to be clear...I agree that goalies usually need to go down to cover more area...and I (a) hope that Stolie's height will stop the top shelf snipes and (b) his general centred-ness approch will enhance all the benefits of a conservative keeper style with a big frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad