Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Remember when we were consistently ranked as the 31st best prospect pool when we had:

Dube, Mang, Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, Kylington…

I member…

we’ve been ranked bottom five in prospect for like 5 straight years now by the “experts”…

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Remember when we were consistently ranked as the 31st best prospect pool when we had:

I member…

we’ve been ranked bottom five in prospect for like 5 straight years now by the “experts”…

pepperidge farm.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I member…

Prospect pool rankers live in two categories:

1) guys that just care about how many first rounders you have in your system regardless of quality.

2) NHLe nerds that put prospect pools 12 places too high because they drafted some kid in the 5th round that put up big points that equate him to a young Paul Coffey.

No one looks at prospect pools that are deep with NHL level talent without a spectacular blue chip.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

1) guys that just care about how many first rounders you have in your system regardless of quality.

2) NHLe nerds that put prospect pools 12 places too high because they drafted some kid in the 5th round that put up big points that equate him to a young Paul Coffey.

No one looks at prospect pools that are deep with NHL level talent without a spectacular blue chip.
I’ll add two more things that HF boards loves; how many ‘draft fallers’ your team has and how many fans you have hyping your player up as much as possible.

Every year this site has the draft winners post, and a very year the declared winner is whoever picked that kid Mackenzie or other mock drafts had at 20 that dropped to the second round, or that kid who fell out of the top ten. Despite the fact that means many teams who had multiple professional scouts and interviews with him deemed him not worth it. Everyone focuses on the Debrincats, and ignores the Ho Sangs.

At the end of the day though this site is a hype machine. The more people you have to talk about a prospect, the more people you have telling you how good this prospect is, and the more you begin to believe it. There’s a good reason the ‘best pools in the league’ ordained by this site is just a who’s who of how long you’ve been bad for or how many fans you have. If Jeremie Poirier was drafted by the Leafs we’d all be sick of hearing how he is going to be the next top offensive D-man in the league by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I like the Zary, Pelletier and Coronato grouping.....................looking at three solid 2nd liners there, probably 50-60 point guys. You hope one can move into the 70-80 point range. Kuznetsov will be a solid top 4 guy that can make that first pass. After that there's alot of unknowns but Poirier and Stromgren are intriguing and if they hit will hit significantly I think so boom or bust in my mind. Some late round guys looking good in Beck/Kerins. A trio of goalies with alot of talent. Francis, Rucizka, MEP are other guys worth watching. I think Gawdin, Phillips, Zav and Tuulola are trending toward leaving the prospect list and moving on after this season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

But those guys rank Flames prospect pools very high and in fact have been high on guys like Eatbread where the masses have been dismissive.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But those guys rank Flames prospect pools very high and in fact have been high on guys like Eatbread where the masses have been dismissive.

The big thing with this crowd is they're wrong about as much as their right, similar to traditional non-professional scouts.
These guys have the greater than thou of about 100 traditional scouts though.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The big thing with this crowd is they're wrong about as much as their right, similar to traditional non-professional scouts.

That's actually false. NHLe is a far superior predictor of NHL success than scouts. When it's "wrong" it's usually in cases like Sam Bennett where... it was actually right after all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's actually false. NHLe is a far superior predictor of NHL success than scouts. When it's "wrong" it's usually in cases like Sam Bennett where... it was actually right after all.

Incorrect.
Like, blatantly incorrect.

JFresh (I think) or maybe Bacon posted NHLe since like 2012 near the draft this season. Going down the board, they work at bout 50%; Similar to traditional scouting. These are just analytics; like, basic analytics.

Player A scores B points in league C
League C is equivalent to Y/1 NHL points.
Player A thus scores Y/1 NHL points.

Player A, scores B points in League C
Based on player A's Y/1 NHL Points, at his age, he is scoring at the rate of Players W, X, Z in the past, and has the star potential of players M, N, O.

This is how you can get gems like Nikita Kucherov being far away the best prospect at the 2011 draft. But also how you get gems like Mikhail Grigorenko being far away the best prospect at the 2012 draft. OR how you get guys like Sam Gagner, considered can't miss stars based on these models. I appreciate them as a tool, but they're just that, a tool.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Coronato's season finally started tonight and he got a short handed break away goal to start the season and has added 2 helpers so far (Harvard was winning 8-1 last I checked).

Hoping we only see the one year in the NCAA for him and we sign him when their season wraps up.

As for Stockton, Pelletier currently leads the team after 4 games with 2g 3a for 5 points. Phillips and Ruzicka both are tied for second with 4 points each.

Oh yeah and Wolfie has a SV% of .951 and GAA of 1.65 through 3 games this year. Only given up 5 goals in 3 games thus far.

So all the prospects that we all pretty much agree are the cream of the crop for the Flames (Zary not included 'cause injury sadly) are performing quite well to start the year.

Some of our other guys like Jack Beck (6th round from '21) are also on fire, has already cruised passed his goal total of 7 (in 56 games) from last year with 9 goals in 9 games so far this year.

With my prediction that all three of Zary, Pelletier and Coronato end up in the middle 6 (Coronato could be top line since RW right shot) for the Flames within the next 3-5 years, Flames have solid depth with Mangiapane, Dube already with the club.

Outside of like 5 prospects though (Zary, Pelletier, The Bison, Wolf, Ruzicka) I am 100% sure 9.5/10 guys remaining I didn't name will or have already busted.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Ruzicka with a hattrick on Saturday, Pelletier with 2 primary assists on his goals (the last was an EN).

If Pelletier (and Ruzicka) can keep this kind of pace (or at least finish around a PPG) I think they both crack the roster next year. Hell, depending on what happens this year with the Flames + possible Eichel acquisition we might see one or both a lot sooner.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
He was only in Stockton on a PTO - Does this mean he's a free agent since he's going into his overage season?

Edit: I may be misreading his birthdate and year. This may not be is overage season. Oops.

This is his overage season but we maintain his rights until the signing deadline in June.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Ruzicka with a hattrick on Saturday, Pelletier with 2 primary assists on his goals (the last was an EN).

If Pelletier (and Ruzicka) can keep this kind of pace (or at least finish around a PPG) I think they both crack the roster next year. Hell, depending on what happens this year with the Flames + possible Eichel acquisition we might see one or both a lot sooner.

Another 3 points night for Ruzicka (2+1). Im affraid, if he is a AHL only guy. How was he looking in training camp?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Another 3 points night for Ruzicka (2+1). Im affraid, if he is a AHL only guy. How was he looking in training camp?

He looked alright, his problem has always been consistency going back even before he was drafted. He started off hot last year too before cooling off hard.

He needs to continue doing what he's doing in the AHL for the full year, if he can do that he's got a shot next year.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad