Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I can't imagine being expansion eligible being a huge concern for the Flames. Seattle can only take one player. If they literally walk away with a unproven prospect we drafted with a 6th rounder... that's basically like how VGK took Engelland in free agency and that was all Calgary needed to contribute to the VGK franchise.

Seattle taking local Calgary boy Phillips over someone like Bennett or Backlund or Kylington would be totally left field.

There's a reason he was protected in the VGK expansion draft I guess? Maybe he just did better playing under a guy like Gallant?
There's a lot of speculation that Bennett won't even be qualified, so selecting him could essentially be like throwing away the pick. The thought of Bennett @3 million definitely isn't overly appealing. The same kind of arguments could be made for Kylington, 30 teams passed on him for free and I don't think he is held in the same regard around the league, as some value him here. Obviously its very early but if Phillips continues this sort of production until the end of the season, I think he'd be easily as appealing as the other two.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
There's a lot of speculation that Bennett won't even be qualified, so selecting him could essentially be like throwing away the pick. The thought of Bennett @3 million definitely isn't overly appealing. The same kind of arguments could be made for Kylington, 30 teams passed on him for free and I don't think he is held in the same regard around the league, as some value him here. Obviously its very early but if Phillips continues this sort of production until the end of the season, I think he'd be easily as appealing as the other two.

Agree to disagree then. I'll be surprised as hell if Seattle takes Phillips. The odds of that happening IMO are probably on par with the Flames winning the 2021 Stanley Cup.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Heat beat the Moose last night in overtime 6-5.

Petrovic seems to be lighting it up lately.

Ruzicka is tied for 3rd in league scoring (w. 6 other players) is tied for 20th with 12 points.
Phillips is tied for 12th in league scoring (w. 6 other players) with 11 points.
Petrovic is tied for 20th in league scoring (w. 7 other players) with 10 points.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Agree to disagree then. I'll be surprised as hell if Seattle takes Phillips. The odds of that happening IMO are probably on par with the Flames winning the 2021 Stanley Cup.

I think it’s unlikely Seattle takes Phillips. He’s a really decent prospect and progressed better than expected, but every team has prospects like that. They’ll likely take a player that is not as risky.

Reactions: Fig

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Pike has loves this kid. He thinks he has the potential to be somewhat of a steal.
He got the 2nd highest praise imagineable for a Flames late-round draft pick, so I can see why

With Haynes thinking Pettersen is another Mangiapane, and Pike thinking Francis is another Mangiapane, we might soon be living in a dream that proves 12 Mangiapane's could win the cup.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sutter should have em scrimmage these guys but swap goalies. Think the Heat would come out on top

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamerForLife

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
we might soon be living in a dream that proves 12 Mangiapane's could win the cup.

513b6b.jpg

very bad meme am watching Jaws sry

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I think it’s unlikely Seattle takes Phillips. He’s a really decent prospect and progressed better than expected, but every team has prospects like that. They’ll likely take a player that is not as risky.
Honestly the way everything is playing out, I see a pretty good case for not calling anyone up and showcasing them this season if they’re eligible. Our protected list is downright set at:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm-Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane-Dube
Andersson-Tanev-Hanifin
Markstrom

So who do they take who is less risky?

If Bennett’s pace stays the same he will be a 25 year old coming off an 8 point season. He is an amazing playoff performer but unless Seattle pulls off another Vegas miracle he will be 28 before they may even get a chance to see it.

Giordano is a 37 year old who’s age is catching up with him quick, if he gets taken they don’t even know what caliber player they have the next season.

30 teams just said no thanks when we offered Kylington

So if I was Seattle and saw a young player come up and make a bit of noise on Calgary, that may be the best gamble honestly.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There are not a flames prospect worth taking

if a prospect can not help this desperate team, it’s not worth anything

most of the good prospects are also ineligible

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly the way everything is playing out, I see a pretty good case for not calling anyone up and showcasing them this season if they’re eligible. Our protected list is downright set at:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm-Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane-Dube
Andersson-Tanev-Hanifin
Markstrom

So who do they take who is less risky?

If Bennett’s pace stays the same he will be a 25 year old coming off an 8 point season. He is an amazing playoff performer but unless Seattle pulls off another Vegas miracle he will be 28 before they may even get a chance to see it.

Giordano is a 37 year old who’s age is catching up with him quick, if he gets taken they don’t even know what caliber player they have the next season.

30 teams just said no thanks when we offered Kylington

So if I was Seattle and saw a young player come up and make a bit of noise on Calgary, that may be the best gamble honestly.

People sleeping on early negotiation on Rittich as an option.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There are not a flames prospect worth taking

if a prospect can not help this desperate team, it’s not worth anything

most of the good prospects are also ineligible

oh yeah cause it’s not like our franchise is known for producing late round picks with NHL talent, or not giving NHL caliber prospects playing time over useless retreads.

Reactions: SaintMorose

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
oh yeah cause it’s not like our franchise is known for producing late round picks with NHL talent, or not giving NHL caliber prospects playing time over useless retreads.

The best prospect was put on waiver and nobody gave a crap and people are afraid of losing a midget that was drafted 5 yrs ago and still has not sniffed the NHL....reality check, no wonder Treliving got you all fooled so easily

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
upload_2021-3-11_8-11-34.png

Looking at notable 23 and under Pts/game on our AHL team over the last 5 seasons
Context is important
-this year being a bit higher scoring so far and only 10 games so expected to revert down a bit
-Jankowski and Zary birthdays putting them a year older in my chart
-Games Played (I wonder if I can add that for size, ex. Jankowski's 1.33 is over 6 games)

but a lot of these players are in different areas of the graph than our past AHL groups

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
The best prospect was put on waiver and nobody gave a crap and people are afraid of losing a midget that was drafted 5 yrs ago and still has not sniffed the NHL....reality check, no wonder Treliving got you all fooled so easily
Calling him the ‘best prospect’ is an opinion, I think the fact Calgary would rather him sit on the taxi squad than play in the AHL should tell you he isn’t viewed as a prospect or as one with much potential left if so. Kind’ve ironic you bring up how long ago Phillips was drafted, when Kylington was drafted the season prior, the same year Andersson and Hanifin were. At this point I’d say Phillips has a better chance at being an NHL regular next year than Kylington does.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calling him the ‘best prospect’ is an opinion, I think the fact Calgary would rather him sit on the taxi squad than play in the AHL should tell you he isn’t viewed as a prospect or as one with much potential left if so. Kind’ve ironic you bring up how long ago Phillips was drafted, when Kylington was drafted the season prior, the same year Andersson and Hanifin were. At this point I’d say Phillips has a better chance at being an NHL regular next year than Kylington does.

I don’t think they view either one as much of a prospect

now you are pissing off the residents with that assessment on kylington lol

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Heat won again today, and now have like an 8-2-0 record. Pospisil has 5 goals, 10 points in 10 games this season (so is now PPG).

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Zavgoroniy putting up a goose egg through 10 games is disappointing, but it’s good to see Phillips, Ruzicka, Pospisil, MEP and Philp producing well. Zary too while he was there.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think philips is ineligible for the expansion draft

According to Cap Friendly Phillips is eligible and Ruzicka is exempt.

Anyhow I think Seattle has to be very careful what path they take. I don't think they are going to have the same opportunities to be gifted forwards like Smith, Marchessault and Tuch. Also will they find a center out there like William Karlsson who will hit his ceiling all of a sudden? I think they should go after some high risk high reward players like Phillips, take on veteran contracts by acquiring multiple picks from teams to do so and look to pick high in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Also sign top college free agents who will find Seattle very appealing for opportunity.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
According to Cap Friendly Phillips is eligible and Ruzicka is exempt.

Anyhow I think Seattle has to be very careful what path they take. I don't think they are going to have the same opportunities to be gifted forwards like Smith, Marchessault and Tuch. Also will they find a center out there like William Karlsson who will hit his ceiling all of a sudden? I think they should go after some high risk high reward players like Phillips, take on veteran contracts by acquiring multiple picks from teams to do so and look to pick high in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Also sign top college free agents who will find Seattle very appealing for opportunity.

I'm kinda following the logic but the way it's being proposed is still so flipping dumb. Seattle will not take such risks for no damn reason. They will demand the Flames pay them Phillips to take another contract IMO and then stuff their farm team with Phillips. Two assets, not one. They will not just decide on taking the risk on shooting their shot on Phillips to hope to find a Marchessault.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm kinda following the logic but the way it's being proposed is still so flipping dumb. Seattle will not take such risks for no damn reason. They will demand the Flames pay them Phillips to take another contract IMO and then stuff their farm team with Phillips. Two assets, not one. They will not just decide on taking the risk on shooting their shot on Phillips to hope to find a Marchessault.

Every team has several Phillips. He is a long shot. I bet nobody is going to pick him off waiver next year.

Seattle is going to have a choice Gio, Bennett, rittich or backlund. I don’t think any deal is needed on either side. If they don’t want a contract, they can take bennett or rittich and not sign them. Gio is doable also as it’s only one year and they can flip at the tdl. From the Flames, none of them is a real loss

Reactions: Fig

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I noticed Michael Stone played today for the Heat...and that Petrovic didn't....anyone know if he is now on the taxi squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad