Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lost in the last 6 games is that Gillies appears to have turned things around.
I really think people have not taken the new equipment into account this year. Look through the NHL and AHL and there are alot of goaltenders that have struggled, more so than any other year I can remember. Some adjusted quickly, I'd guess they'd be the ones that used smaller equipment prior to the change. Others have still haven't shown signs of life.

I also think people underestimate the effect an injury can have on a goaltender when they return. Unlike a skater they can't just see reduced ice-time until they get up to speed and with so much of their game being mental, any fear of an injury recurring can basically f*** them.

Reactions: SKRusty

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Wasn’t sure if we still owned Rafikov’s rights. What a throwback

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Well, Rafikov's contract is over in just a month and he had a good season, so maybe he decides to try to step up a level.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the AHL here, we have poor defensive depth past the NHL level and Rafikov has a lot of pro experience. Maybe now that we have another Russian on defense in the AHL he would be more open to trying out playing hockey here.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the AHL here, we have poor defensive depth past the NHL level and Rafikov has a lot of pro experience. Maybe now that we have another Russian on defense in the AHL he would be more open to trying out playing hockey here.
He’s probably better off to stay where he is. I always liked him, but like you said, he’s almost more of a throwback. I’m not sure he does anything in particularly well enough, to find success in the NHL.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
He’s probably better off to stay where he is. I always liked him, but like you said, he’s almost more of a throwback. I’m not sure he does anything in particularly well enough, to find success in the NHL.

I don't think he would ever play in the NHL, but I do think he would really bolster a pretty weak Stockton blueline and that might be worth offering him a contract alone.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stockton opened their preseason tonight, getting pummeled 8-3 by Bakersfield.

Luke Philp, Adam Tambellini and Zach Leslie scored the goals. Tambellini, Pospisil, Ruzicka, Nielsen & Schueneman added helpers. Parsons allowed 5 goals on 21 shots, and Schneider 3 on 11.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Heat are up 6-5 in the 3rd, Lomberg has a goal and 4 assists. Gillies played the first half, allowing 3 goals, Zags came in for the second half, has given up 2. I just read the Heat twitter, not listening or anything, so I can't speak on actual performances.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay, so these are raw stats, zero context. Also, preseason. So, take from it what you will, I will take nothing from it personally other than Lomberg is awesome.

Heat win 7-5.
2 players had multi-point efforts, Ryan Lomberg (2+4) and Eetu Tuulola (1+1).
Other goal scorers tonight were, Robinson, Kirkland, Davidson & Valiev
Other players with assists were, Phillips, Froese, Gawdin, Philp & Hamilton
Gillies made 9 saves on 12 shots, in 31:36 of ice-time.
Zagidulin made 1 save on 3 shots, in 28:24 of ice-time. 1 GA was short handed.

I'm super impressed the Heat only gave up 3 shots in the last half of the game.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Nice to see him adjust to the NA ice so quickly.

He spent time with the goalie doc, Mr big save Dave himself. I'm sure it would help.

Rittich also spent time on a new crazy workout regimen that he credits as helping too. Which seems to be working.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He spent time with the goalie doc, Mr big save Dave himself. I'm sure it would help.

Rittich also spent time on a new crazy workout regimen that he credits as helping too. Which seems to be working.

Always find it amazing when Athletes well into their 20's or even 30's finally decide they're going to take fitness seriously. Like BSD is 27 years old. It's crazy it took to this summer to be like, well, I should probably train like my livelihood depends on it. It's like Kyle Lowry finally getting into shape when he was like 30 years old. Why'd it take so long? :laugh:

Good on Zag. He looks like he could be the real thing. I'd love for him to get a long look at the AHL level. Would prefer him as the starter, Parsons as the backup, Schneider in the ECHL and Gillies fired out of a cannon somewhere.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Always find it amazing when Athletes well into their 20's or even 30's finally decide they're going to take fitness seriously. Like BSD is 27 years old. It's crazy it took to this summer to be like, well, I should probably train like my livelihood depends on it. It's like Kyle Lowry finally getting into shape when he was like 30 years old. Why'd it take so long? :laugh:

Good on Zag. He looks like he could be the real thing. I'd love for him to get a long look at the AHL level. Would prefer him as the starter, Parsons as the backup, Schneider in the ECHL and Gillies fired out of a cannon somewhere.

I really doubt they do nothing. I think it's far more about figuring out how to specialize the training in a way your body can handle it and in a way that will improve the game vs hurt it (ie: Bulk vs lean). They probably spend a ton of years doing some slightly customized workouts only to realize it's time to go full on customized workouts. The thing to be careful though is injuries, which is why the average guy probably doesn't do 4-5 hour workouts a day to avoid the risk of injury.

I don't think it's that they suddenly decide they will take fitness seriously, it's suddenly realizing that certain crazy regimens out there will be ones that actually benefit their game and help them to take the next step. They've probably been doing basic workouts that weren't completely tailored towards boosting them to the next step. For instance, Rittich started doing this crazy 4 hour hardcore stamina based workout this off season because stamina is a huge weakness he himself identifies in his own game, as opposed to perhaps a dozen other things. He doesn't need a 4 hour workout to make it or become NHL calibre. It's more about tailoring his workout so that he can be more consistent at the NHL level. I think most guys are like that at an older age. "Hey, if I focus on this so that it's less of a weakness, I will have far less issues in terms of overcompensating elsewhere!" but it really takes playing at a certain level for a while to realize what is truly an Achilles heel that should worked on, because your body can only take so much before breaking. The alternative is injuring yourself during the off season. You have to really know whether it's an approachable direction to go all in.

For instance, a guy like Gaudreau probably does train a ton in the off season. But he didn't focus on strength as a kid, he focused on skill. That changed the closer he got to the NHL. A guy like Lucic/Bennett is probably higher on the fitness scale, so decided this off season to work on skill. Parsons spent a ton of time this off season working on flexibility and strength/recovery vs other aspects. Etc.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
No points for Dube through three games? Wonder if sending him down was a blow to his confidence. Stockton isn't short on goals either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad