Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if he'll send his biggest fans a new hat. Poor girl had a Jersey hat living in Edmonton and now has to buy a Blues gear?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
As a lifelong blues fan, i’m thrilled to finally be on the beneficial side of propably the most transparently one-sided piece of offseason cap-manipulation in the division.

Also as a lifelong blues fan, i’m completely paranoid that we’re going to end up forfeiting draft picks after he signs a 4x3.5 extension in January after the league decides they need to invent some bullsh!t punishment to retroactively make an example out of someone for this.

As a life-long Blues fan, if the Blues sign him to that extension, they deserve to be punished. Not for cap manipulation, but for continually signing 30+ year old 3rd-line players to long-term deals. I am most afraid we will sign him long-term and not be punished.

I mean, we signed a free agent power-winger from the devils...what could *possibly* go wrong?

This deserves a like, because it was clever and funny for about a second. Until I thought about it. hen I cried, and cannot bring myself to "like" it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
For those of you thinking this signing makes the Blues a Cup contender, let me introduce you to our starting goaltender, Jake Allen:

Jake_Allen_OT_Gaffe.JPG

This wasn't an attempt to pull the goalie gone wrong. This was just him being super-over-agressive and getting out of position. While it is the most egregious example of him being out of position, There are about a dozen goals per year where Blues fans say "Where the heck was Allen on that play?" as he slid a half a dozen or so feet out of the crease. Not "What was Allen doing?", literally "where is he, I don't see him in the replay of the goal". But that's not all, Blues fans. You don't just get slides-out-of-position Allen, but if you fail to make a goalie change now, you also get doesn't-know-how-to-seal-the-post Allen and totally-misplays-the-angles-on-non-screened-shots Allen.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Allen will disappoint us in October and that'll last till April. Just let Blues fans be excited during the only months that we have to be excited.

We all know Allen sucks.

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica
Great signing. Great offseason. On paper, this all looks quite nice. Yeo must deliver with the goods he's been given. People bitching about Maroon have not watched him play. If you think he just sucked on McDavid's teat, he was a .46 PPG player in EDM and NJ and a whopping .56 with EDM. Not a big difference. He's also produced in the playoffs with 27p in 47g. The Perron deal was great as well. If you're a Blues fan and you're whining about these signings or you're mad that people are excited, you have issues.

Reactions: SteveR85

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Great signing. Great offseason. On paper, this all looks quite nice. Yeo must deliver with the goods he's been given. People *****ing about Maroon have not watched him play. If you think he just sucked on McDavid's teat, he was a .46 PPG player in EDM and NJ and a whopping .56 with EDM. Not a big difference. He's also produced in the playoffs with 27p in 47g. The Perron deal was great as well. If you're a Blues fan and you're whining about these signings or you're mad that people are excited, you have issues.

He played with Getzlaf in Anaheim., except for the season they traded him. He didn't play with Getzlaf that season, and as a result had 13 points in 56 games. Then he was traded to Edmonton for nothing, where he had a resurgence with McDavid. In New Jersey, his small sample size stats were boosted by 5 points in the last 2 games against teams with nothing to gain and PP points with Taylor Hall.

He is a good complimentary player. There is nothing wrong with that. For the price we got him, that's great. If we put him with talented players, he can put up points. If we don't, he won't drive the play or make a bad line better but he could still chip in enough to make it worth while. For the cost, its a fine signing but it doesn't suddenly make us a contender. Every other move we made this off-season was far more important. And there are moves we could have potentially made that would have had a much greater effect. Our success relies on our goal-tending, our youth, how well ROR and Bozak click, far more than Maroon.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
this could end up being a highway robbery for STL... hopefully J. Allen as a more stable season than last year

pretty good depth up front...

Schwartz Schenn Perron
Maroon ROR Tarasenko
Fabbri Bozak Steen
Jaskin Barbashev Soshnikov

Reactions: shmotz

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
He played with Getzlaf in Anaheim., except for the season they traded him. He didn't play with Getzlaf that season, and as a result had 13 points in 56 games. Then he was traded to Edmonton for nothing, where he had a resurgence with McDavid. In New Jersey, his small sample size stats were boosted by 5 points in the last 2 games against teams with nothing to gain and PP points with Taylor Hall.

He is a good complimentary player. There is nothing wrong with that. For the price we got him, that's great. If we put him with talented players, he can put up points. If we don't, he won't drive the play or make a bad line better but he could still chip in enough to make it worth while. For the cost, its a fine signing but it doesn't suddenly make us a contender. Every other move we made this off-season was far more important. And there are moves we could have potentially made that would have had a much greater effect. Our success relies on our goal-tending, our youth, how well ROR and Bozak click, far more than Maroon.

I appreciate the Getzlaf information, but that's precisely what I'm talking about/concerned about. 13 points in 56 games extrapolates to 19 points in 82 games. If you've played sports and have ever been dominate or played with dominate players, you know it's a piggy back ride. Even zero skilled players can rack up points. Put NHL caliber players with superstars? Ofc you're going to get some points or else you wouldn't be in the league.

The problem is, it's all about efficiency. We could've put Ryan Reaves on our first line and gotten around 30 points, but that wouldn't be very efficient. Other players would have gotten far more points, and by having a player playing above where he should, skill wise, that's going to bring down the point totals of Tarasenko and company. Everyone who isn't a legit top line player suffers production wise when you put a "poser" on their line.

It's the same concept for every line. I think it's important that every line has a skill threshold that should be met to play on it. We're not going to be able to match up well with other lines if we have a weak link.

When you've yet to have a great year, stats wise, and you're about to exit your prime... and you're about to play with lesser players... it's just hard to not have flashbacks of Lehtera. I'd rather have Reaves. But, like I've said, I'm big on letting rookies prove themselves and get their feet wet. I hate to harp on it but it all comes back to Bishop.

Over two years of playing with the Blues, Bishop started 8 games. He then, quickly, went on to become one of the premier goalies after leaving. It's pointless to have good prospects who perform well in the minors if you just keep coming up with excuses to not play them and valuing average veterans over them. It's riskier to go that route than vice versa. The risk/reward is horrible. We need to find out what we have before rushing to other peoples' meh commodities.

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
Worst-case scenario - Maroon ends up being a key depth piece for our top six after Fabbri comes back too slow to be effective, Thomas plays like a 19 yer-old, and Schwartz finds some new exciting way to freakishly end up on injured reserve for two months. The resilient Blues claw their way into a middle playoff seed in the west and win a tight first round series before getting submarined by terrible goaltending and losing a second round series in five games.

Best-case Scenario - Maroon has a marginal-season from a statistical standpoint playing down in the forward depth on one of the deepest forward groups in the league. The defense is stout as usual, and the Blues ride their new deep, punchy offense full of actual NHL centers where all the pieces fit together according to everyone's best expectations to presidents trophy contention and a top seed in the west. They get submarined by terrible goaltending in the first round and get swept by an 8 seed.

Yes, the best case scenario ends up in the Blues being eliminated from the playoffs earlier than they are the worst case scenario. If you're a Blues fan and don't understand how that works out logically, you either haven't been alive long enough or you're not paying attention.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Could have paid for his son's family's moving costs and living expenses and given about a million of spare cash and probably made a profit anyway. I wonder...
Perhaps he really wanted to play for his hometown team?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Great signing. Great offseason. On paper, this all looks quite nice. Yeo must deliver with the goods he's been given. People *****ing about Maroon have not watched him play. If you think he just sucked on McDavid's teat, he was a .46 PPG player in EDM and NJ and a whopping .56 with EDM. Not a big difference. He's also produced in the playoffs with 27p in 47g. The Perron deal was great as well. If you're a Blues fan and you're whining about these signings or you're mad that people are excited, you have issues.
It's 2 posters. 2 insufferable posters.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I appreciate the Getzlaf information, but that's precisely what I'm talking about/concerned about. 13 points in 56 games extrapolates to 19 points in 82 games. If you've played sports and have ever been dominate or played with dominate players, you know it's a piggy back ride. Even zero skilled players can rack up points. Put NHL caliber players with superstars? Ofc you're going to get some points or else you wouldn't be in the league.

The problem is, it's all about efficiency. We could've put Ryan Reaves on our first line and gotten around 30 points, but that wouldn't be very efficient. Other players would have gotten far more points, and by having a player playing above where he should, skill wise, that's going to bring down the point totals of Tarasenko and company. Everyone who isn't a legit top line player suffers production wise when you put a "poser" on their line.

It's the same concept for every line. I think it's important that every line has a skill threshold that should be met to play on it. We're not going to be able to match up well with other lines if we have a weak link.

When you've yet to have a great year, stats wise, and you're about to exit your prime... and you're about to play with lesser players... it's just hard to not have flashbacks of Lehtera. I'd rather have Reaves. But, like I've said, I'm big on letting rookies prove themselves and get their feet wet. I hate to harp on it but it all comes back to Bishop.

Over two years of playing with the Blues, Bishop started 8 games. He then, quickly, went on to become one of the premier goalies after leaving. It's pointless to have good prospects who perform well in the minors if you just keep coming up with excuses to not play them and valuing average veterans over them. It's riskier to go that route than vice versa. The risk/reward is horrible. We need to find out what we have before rushing to other peoples' meh commodities.

I don't know what the worst part of this post is, the fact that you consider Ben Bishop a premier goalie in the NHL, or that you would take Reaves over Maroon. Probably the former.

A 919 save percentage vs a 913 save percentage. The one is that premier goalie you are talking about, the other is your boy Jake Allen.

Playoffs .927 vs .922....

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

So because this signing wasn't as important as the other things we did this summer, we shouldn't be excited about it? Can we at least talk about it? Can I talk about it with friends and close relatives in private?

All of the moves combined make us a contender, not this one. Find me one person saying otherwise.

Oh please mods let me say more than I probably should.

"And there are moves we could have potentially made that would have had a much greater effect.". Name one. Seriously. Name 1 move.

Reactions: SteveR85

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
How about being honest? Parayko, Tage Tompson, 2019 first, Jake Allen and Berglund. And I wanted to trade Sobotka to another team.

You tell me HOW MUCH DIFFERENT IS THAT THAN THE O'Reilly TRADE? You know, the one which everyone on the site treats as the best trade of the past decade.

Stone is worth Parayko and Allen is worth -1 first round pick atm, at a minimum. Really crazy stuff. The player I wanted last season: Schenn. How did that turn out. Really out in left field here...

Anyone who thinks giving Allen more playing time than Husso makes ANY SENSE, outside of trying to return value to Allen, belongs in another universe - for the sake of anyone sane.

Um. It's a lot different. It's the same trade except you just threw in Colton Parayko and our goalie.

Reactions: stl76

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So because this signing wasn't as important as the other things we did this summer, we shouldn't be excited about it? Can we at least talk about it? Can I talk about it with friends and close relatives in private?

All of the moves combined make us a contender, not this one. Find me one person saying otherwise.

Oh please mods let me say more than I probably should.

"And there are moves we could have potentially made that would have had a much greater effect.". Name one. Seriously. Name 1 move.

Trading for Grubauer. Seeing if we could pry Talbot out of Edmonton. Anything to boost our goaltending. Maybe those moves weren't possible, but we weren't ever rumored to have tried. We won't have the cap now to make a goaltending move if we need to going forward. That is the most important thing for our team, far more than securing a 10th top-9 player,possibly 11th or 12th depending on how the young guys fare.

As for letting you talk about it, when did I say you couldn't? Say whatever you want to me. I am discussing it, presenting an alternate opinion and engaging in discussion when that opinion is challenegd. I don't agree its exciting. Maroon will either play with lesser players where I don't feel he will have much of an impact for reasons stated, or he will block players with more upside. There are rumors that we will extend him long-term, which is scary for 30-year old power-forward coming off of back surgery.

Just because someone disagrees with you and states they disagree with you, does not mean they don't allow you to speak.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
I don't know what the worst part of this post is, the fact that you consider Ben Bishop a premier goalie in the NHL, or that you would take Reaves over Maroon. Probably the former.

A 919 save percentage vs a 913 save percentage. The one is that premier goalie you are talking about, the other is your boy Jake Allen.

Playoffs .927 vs .922....

Are you serious? You can't be. Carey freaking Price has a career save % of 918. Do you have ANY idea what elite goaltenders have save % wise? You can't be this clueless. Receiving breaking news from Letsgoblues91: Pekka Rinne isn't an elite goalie since he has the same career save % as Ben Bishop. Lol.

913 career save % for the Blues is awful. Brian Elliot had two seasons of .940 and .930 with the Blues. Allen is one of the few goalies, to play any substantial amount of time, to not put up gaudy numbers. You may have missed this, too, but our defense is pretty good relative to other teams. Thus... not exactly apples to apples. And even if you tried to compare that way... .919 is elite, no matter how you want to view it, career wise.

The difference between average and elite save percentage isn't massive. When you have an average save % on one of the best defensive teams, and you have the worst attitude in the league... you shouldn't be in the league.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Are you serious? You can't be. Carey freaking Price has a career save % of 918. Do you have ANY idea what elite goaltenders have save % wise? You can't be this clueless. Receiving breaking news from Letsgoblues91: Pekka Rinne isn't an elite goalie since he has the same career save % as Ben Bishop. Lol.

913 career save % for the Blues is awful. Brian Elliot had two seasons of .940 and .930 with the Blues. Allen is one of the few goalies, to play any substantial amount of time, to not put up gaudy numbers. You may have missed this, too, but our defense is pretty good relative to other teams. Thus... not exactly apples to apples. And even if you tried to compare that way... .919 is elite, no matter how you want to view it, career wise.

The difference between average and elite save percentage isn't massive. When you have an average save % on one of the best defensive teams, and you have the worst attitude in the league... you shouldn't be in the league.

How many drywall holes did you have to patch when the Oshie to Washington trade went down?

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
How many drywall holes did you have to patch when the Oshie to Washington trade went down?
I actually didn't care about moving Oshie. I was actually hoping we would trade him. After seeing us be bad for so long, with the same group of players, you feel ready to see some players, if not all, on other teams... Guy brought such a frat house vibe to the team. It's like... do we suck cause we're drunk or are we just bad. Why can't we even stay on our stakes... That said.. he was the best in shootouts. Absolute wizard.

I'll tell you what bothered me about the Oshie trade. When we traded Copley back to Washington. I don't even know what we got in return. I'm hearing all of this stuff about we wouldn't have traded Oshie if we couldn't have gotten Copley. Our starting goalie has always sucked, as long it was Allen. I'm thinking thank god... can't wait to see some NHL goalie tryouts. Let the best man win.

But, nope... Allen for life. Freaking goalie herpes. Can't shake it. Making me hate this team. I refuse to even go to a game he could be starting. Any team who has an amazing goalie prospect and is thinking about including him in a trade with the Blues but is worried they might face him... Don't worry... we refuse to ever give anyone a shot except Allen. In fact... we will even gift the goalie back to you. The worst team, bar none, in regards to goalie management. So maddening.

We don't need your potential hall of fame goalies, we got Allen. Should be our new motto. Dumb and Dumber movie stuff.

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica

What's your point? Pretty much no one thinks Maroon is the biggest difference maker in this offseason. But he fills a couple of needs, rounding out a great offseason. That's all. No one is saying "Wow, the Blues were trash until they signed Maroon" and yet that's what these responses seem to suggest. I see a couple of people insisting everyone else calm down for enjoying this signing. Sorry we're excited about a great offseason.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Great deal for the Blues, he is worth at least $3 million a year imo.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Worst-case scenario - Maroon ends up being a key depth piece for our top six after Fabbri comes back too slow to be effective, Thomas plays like a 19 yer-old, and Schwartz finds some new exciting way to freakishly end up on injured reserve for two months. The resilient Blues claw their way into a middle playoff seed in the west and win a tight first round series before getting submarined by terrible goaltending and losing a second round series in five games.

Best-case Scenario - Maroon has a marginal-season from a statistical standpoint playing down in the forward depth on one of the deepest forward groups in the league. The defense is stout as usual, and the Blues ride their new deep, punchy offense full of actual NHL centers where all the pieces fit together according to everyone's best expectations to presidents trophy contention and a top seed in the west. They get submarined by terrible goaltending in the first round and get swept by an 8 seed.

Yes, the best case scenario ends up in the Blues being eliminated from the playoffs earlier than they are the worst case scenario. If you're a Blues fan and don't understand how that works out logically, you either haven't been alive long enough or you're not paying attention.
Hmmm...I'm noticing a theme here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4