Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Great hometown discounted deal for the Blues. Blues have done very well this off season.

Mad respect for Patty... taking the deal to be close to his son. I sincerely hope he doesn’t get injured and regret this decision from a financial perspective.

Would have loved him back on the Oil at $2.5-3 AAV for 3 years.

Good luck Big Rig!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Maroon was willing to sign for anything remotely NEAR 1.75M, how come the Oilers didn't resign him months ago?? How many millions did he lose just to stay in STL? Surely, there must've been much better offers.
Edmonton was rumored to have tried to negoiate with him before last season. Either the number was too big, or he just wanted to go play at home.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The power of family can be a very strong motivator as compared to cash. This is especially true as his profession keeps him away from his child for the better part of 6-7 months since he does not have custody. If you have kids, you should fully understand his position.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
St. Louis has had a nice offseason although I think one day they will regret losing Tage Thompson.

I have a feeling we won't. He will probably be a really good player. I firmly believe Kyrou will be better. Filter in Kostin and Bokk down the line we don't really have any room.

Granted I didn't think we had room for Maroon on the forward group anyways. Gotta feeling four lines are gonna be rolling

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis has had a nice offseason although I think one day they will regret losing Tage Thompson.

Doubtful. Not because Thompson won't/can't be a good player. But knowing we gave him up in a deal for ROR and kept our biggest prospects (Thomas, Kyrou), I think the Blues are fine with the decision and would do it again.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
First time EVER the Blues have gotten a hometown discount. Tkachuk(s) or Keller would have been preferred but I'll take it.

Reactions: Morrison

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Doubtful. Not because Thompson won't/can't be a good player. But knowing we gave him up in a deal for ROR and kept our biggest prospects (Thomas, Kyrou), I think the Blues are fine with the decision and would do it again.

I don't think so either. The Blues have so many prospects that will do just as much if not more than Tage, and what we got in ROR for a long term period is fine. The way the Blues are set up, they are going to be good for a number of years because as some players level the prospects come in, it will be a rotation of players but the competitive side will not change.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's a really dumb contract for Maroon to agree to, to be honest. He's coming off of 2 seasons with 42 and 43 points, so he signs a 1 year deal at a very cheap bargain? Good for the Blues of course, but I really don't see why Maroon is doing this. If he wanted to play for his home town, he could have at least gotten a couple of extra years as security.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Wow, that is cheap. Well done St. Louis! The Islanders should take notes here.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Was hoping the Oilers would get him back, though even at that low price it probably would've made it hard to sign Nurse (RFA) to a contract that both sides would be happy with. But I'd rather have Maroon on our team at 2m than Caggiula at 1.5m. Maybe Drake breaks out a bit this season, but I'm skeptical. Best of luck to Patty. Just don't kill us when you play us, please.

Jan 21, 2018
This is sickening. I hope Edmonton fans burn Maroon's jersey. All 2 of them that accidentally bought Maroon's jersey and lost the receipt before they could return it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, that is cheap. Well done St. Louis! The Islanders should take notes here.
I think this had a lot to do with the fact that Patrick's son lives in St. Louis and he wanted to be close to him rather than some kind of great bargaining. I say this because they just spent 5M on Bozak who is marginally better than Maroon.

Reactions: NoName

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
That's a really dumb contract for Maroon to agree to, to be honest. He's coming off of 2 seasons with 42 and 43 points, so he signs a 1 year deal at a very cheap bargain? Good for the Blues of course, but I really don't see why Maroon is doing this. If he wanted to play for his home town, he could have at least gotten a couple of extra years as security.

It has been discussed several times (his son), but the reason why he didn't sign for longer term is pretty simple; if he signed for longer term, the AAV would have been more, which the Blues can't do since they still need to sign Edmundson and Schmaltz. Thus, a longer term contract wasn't even a possibility. It was either sign with a different team for more money for 1 or more years, or sign with the Blues for 1 year for $2 mil or less.

Edit: unless of course, he would sign for multiple years at a sub $2 mil AAV...but, by doing that, he'd also be risking more money. It would be a risk either way.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This is sickening. I hope Edmonton fans burn Maroon's jersey. All 2 of them that accidentally bought Maroon's jersey and lost the receipt before they could return it.
I know you're joking but according to Oilers fans, a lot of them had Maroon jerseys.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It has been discussed several times (his son), but the reason why he didn't sign for longer term is pretty simple; if he signed for longer term, the AAV would have been more, which the Blues can't do since they still need to sign Edmundson and Schmaltz. Thus, a longer term contract wasn't even a possibility. It was either sign with a different team for more money for 1 or more years, or sign with the Blues for 1 year for $2 mil or less.

Edit: unless of course, he would sign for multiple years at a sub $2 mil AAV...but, by doing that, he'd also be risking more money. It would be a risk either way.

If that's the case, it seems like signing with the Blues was just pretty stupid in the first place. I get wanting to play for your home town, but he's taking a massive financial risk to do so. I don't think the risk is worth it.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
If that's the case, it seems like signing with the Blues was just pretty stupid in the first place. I get wanting to play for your home town, but he's taking a massive financial risk to do so. I don't think the risk is worth it.

Being in town with his son was obviously worth more to him than money.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad