Confirmed Trade: [STL/NYR] Pavel Buchnevich for 2022 2nd round pick and Sammy Blais

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
And sure you can say that Goodrow is 5th in scoring, without even mentioning that two of the four players we added at the TDL, Copp and Vatrano are both PPG with us
Pump the brakes on the PPG stuff with a very small sample size.

Copp 6 games, 7 points
Vatrano 9 games, 6 points

Here’s some self reflection and a little red meat for you.

Brock Nelson’s stats for his last 9 games:
8 goals, 5 assists, 13 points.

He’s nowhere near that productive over his career. In fact, his shooting percentage is 22.9% this year which….drum roll… is first in the league. It’s been fun to watch but he’ll be playing to the stats on the back of his baseball card by next year.

Frankly, if there’s a hockey trade to be made in the offseason, I’d dangle Nelson to see if another GM covets him. It would leave a big hole but if the return is worth it then the Isles should pull the trigger.

Are you listening Lou?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Pump the brakes on the PPG stuff with a very small sample size.

Copp 6 games, 7 points
Vatrano 9 games, 6 points

Here’s some self reflection and a little red meat for you.

Brock Nelson’s stats for his last 9 games:
8 goals, 5 assists, 13 points.

He’s nowhere near that productive over his career. In fact, his shooting percentage is 22.9% this year which….drum roll… is first in the league. It’s been fun to watch but he’ll be playing to the stats on the back of his baseball card by next year.

Frankly, if there’s a hockey trade to be made in the offseason, I’d dangle Nelson to see if another GM covets him. It would leave a big hole but if the return is worth it then the Isles should pull the trigger.

Are you listening Lou?
Idk what Nelson has to do with it. And I’m pretty sure all 6 of Vatrano’s points are goals, if not I know for sure he has at least 5

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Idk what Nelson has to do with it. And I’m pretty sure all 6 of Vatrano’s points are goals, if not I know for sure he has at least 5
The point is recency bias.

Nelson’s sample size is even bigger but as an Isles’ fan, I’m not even buying it.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the moment.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We’re top of the league in fancy stats since the ASB. Even better when you look post-TDL. Goalies can’t win 40+ games alone. Rangers are up there in the tier below the Tampa/Panthers/Canes/Avs tier

The Shesty narrative was true for the first half of the year but at this point if you think he’s still carrying you’re not following NYR

Idk why everyone is always late on how NYR is doing. It took everyone months to get on the Fox train and even longer to realize he was actually good defensively. Even Shesty was doubted this season. People still think Panarin is our best forward. People still think Trouba is bad. People still haven’t really even realized Fox’s fall off this season

Now every Rangers fan is saying the same about how Shesty isn’t really even carrying the team anymore yet people still hold that narrative because they heard it 3 months ago. That will go away after we beat the Pens

And sure you can say that Goodrow is 5th in scoring, without even mentioning that two of the four players we added at the TDL, Copp and Vatrano are both PPG with us

It's such a "New York Minute" Rangers-centric sort of perspective, to think these things can change so dramatically, so quickly.

Like...Trouba was never actually "bad"...he was just griped about and laughed at because they paid him a ton, and Pionk became of the flavor of the minute. Rangers fans were at the head of that charge tbh, and it seemed ridiculous to me.

But i think that's the biggest factor in why "everyone else" is always crazy and completely off base when it comes to NYR, and only Rangers fans are hip to the jive on what's going on with the Rangers today. People on the outside, look at things from a broader perspective. A lot of Rangers fans seem to be stuck in a microcosm, prone to pulling complete 180s on players at the drop of a hat based on the last month or so. Making it out like these players are suddenly going from "elite" to "terrible" and back again every few months. It's a very parochial view.

As far as the Buchnevich trade itself...I think there was a pretty strong consensus at the time, that is was crazy good value for St Louis for a very good player. But at the same time...it's not like the Rangers have really missed him. Even with similar-ish players in Lafreniere and Kakko not really taking that "expected" step into his shoes, the Rangers have still done pretty well for themselves, and their wingers really are not a problem. At least the Rangers got...something out of it (tbd what that actually amounts to, but hey...that's futures). It's not like the Erat - Forsberg trade or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad