Confirmed Trade: [STL/NYR] Pavel Buchnevich for 2022 2nd round pick and Sammy Blais

ajdj10

Feb 14, 2012
Neverland
Why did the Rangers give him away? If they lose a Game 7 this is the kind of thing you'd look back on with deep regret. 4 years at $5.8M per is not even a bad deal. Certainly they could have done other things to make the cap work.
Because we don't like talented forwards.
We only like forwards that are McKegg level...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why did the Rangers give him away? If they lose a Game 7 this is the kind of thing you'd look back on with deep regret. 4 years at $5.8M per is not even a bad deal. Certainly they could have done other things to make the cap work.
The prob here is Rangers were greedy. They should have listened to me and dealt him earlier.
And I don't give a rat's rump that people consider me opinionated or even conceited for saying so.

He was worth a signif 1st like Oiler's 10OA or earlier a deal that turned out to be Broberg 8OA.
All they had to do was deal him then, at the time, and even tho he was still developing, he was worth more then because he had term and was cheap.
But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
They had to squeeze every drop of playing out of him until all that was left was the last ounce of his rfa.

They also waited too long to deal Stepan, and got extremely lucky AZ did a 7OA, which we screwed up by taking the no talent ingrate who is Lias Andersson.

For the record, I obv would have dealt Buch earlier.
I do like Blais and would have considered paying a little above equal value, but obv that is not the 8OA Broberg return we should have had before.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Sucks Blais got hurt early in the year. He was looking good for the Rangers too. I hope he recovers and comes back strong next season , from a Devils fan.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Terrible trade. Drury got taken to the cleaners.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Lafrenire
Chytil - Goodrow - Gauthier
Hunt - Rooney - Reaves

Is MILES better than

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Panarin - Strome - Goodrow
Hunt - Chytil - Gauthier
McKegg - Rooney - Reaves

+ a 2nd round pick and a guy who has never played close to a full season due to injuries. Nothing against Blais, but all you need to do as a GM is go to NHL.com and look at the number of games played per season to know this was a bad idea.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The prob here is Rangers were greedy. They should have listened to me and dealt him earlier.
And I don't give a rat's rump that people consider me opinionated or even conceited for saying so.

He was worth a signif 1st like Oiler's 10OA or earlier a deal that turned out to be Broberg 8OA.
All they had to do was deal him then, at the time, and even tho he was still developing, he was worth more then because he had term and was cheap.
But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
They had to squeeze every drop of playing out of him until all that was left was the last ounce of his rfa.

They also waited too long to deal Stepan, and got extremely lucky AZ did a 7OA, which we screwed up by taking the no talent ingrate who is Lias Andersson.

For the record, I obv would have dealt Buch earlier.
I do like Blais and would have considered paying a little above equal value, but obv that is not the 8OA Broberg return we should have had before.
What makes you think you were getting the 8th or 10th overall pick for him?

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Terrible trade. Drury got taken to the cleaners.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Lafrenire
Chytil - Goodrow - Gauthier
Hunt - Rooney - Reaves

Is MILES better than

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Panarin - Strome - Goodrow
Hunt - Chytil - Gauthier
McKegg - Rooney - Reaves

+ a 2nd round pick and a guy who has never played close to a full season due to injuries. Nothing against Blais, but all you need to do as a GM is go to NHL.com and look at the number of games played per season to know this was a bad idea.

To be fair;

There is no way any one could have known the type of injury on Blais this season. It's not like something chronic that flaired up; or some recurring concussion that can surface with a minor hit.

It was the slew foot that got him, some might say intentional, or some might say just bad luck. Whatever happened, it has nothing to do with his injury history.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What makes you think you were getting the 8th or 10th overall pick for him?
there was buzz on the boards here that Oil would do a high 1st for Buch, and at the time that is where those picks slotted. Again, that is Buch at the time, which was less polished, but still productive w/upside and cheap w/term.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
yes, but I vaguely recall they had some reasonable expectation EDM would pony up 1st for the right guy. And I believe there was independent speculation Oil were interested in Buch

That’s posters like us trading yes and no’s. That’s not the real world with actual gms doing deals. So that pick was never on the table.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That’s posters like us trading yes and no’s. That’s not the real world with actual gms doing deals. So that pick was never on the table.

No, it is entirely possible where there was smoke there was fire.
I am not able to give you direct empirical evidence personally known to me.
Few can.

It was reasonably reported among NYR fans here, and if I am not mistaken, there was some buzz in papers that Buch might be going and Rangers wanted a 1st.
If a team w/a 22OA was offering their 1st, that is what it would be.
If Oil did so at the time, than top 10 would be correct.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
To be fair;

There is no way any one could have known the type of injury on Blais this season. It's not like something chronic that flaired up; or some recurring concussion that can surface with a minor hit.

It was the slew foot that got him, some might say intentional, or some might say just bad luck. Whatever happened, it has nothing to do with his injury history.
It was PK Slewban being a piece of shit.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
This has to go down as one of the worst trades in the last 10 years. Thank you Tom Wilson for deranging the Rangers management enough to hurt them long term I guess.
Yeah, no, that didn't happen with this trade.

Not a great look right now, but the Blues WITH Buchnevich are still fighting for their playoff lives where as the Rangers are 4th overall in league standings.

This didn't hurt the NYR's longterm at all

• Haha
Reactions: WaltPoddubny

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This has to go down as one of the worst trades in the last 10 years. Thank you Tom Wilson for deranging the Rangers management enough to hurt them long term I guess.
Yep thank you Tom Wilson for making the Rangers a better team than his own?

Rangers aren’t really missing Buchnevich at this point either. Yes it would be nice to have him back but at this point I’m indifferent about the trade seeing we’re pretty far above the Caps and the Blues in the standings

Reactions: One Winged Angel

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yep thank you Tom Wilson for making the Rangers a better team than his own?

Rangers aren’t really missing Buchnevich at this point either. Yes it would be nice to have him back but at this point I’m indifferent about the trade seeing we’re pretty far above the Caps and the Blues in the standings

That would be Igor Shestyerkin's doing. You're not fooling anyone.

Obviously the Rags would have benefited from keeping Buchnevich. Their 5th highest scoring forward is Barclay Goodrow with 25 pts in 66 games. That's awful.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That would be Igor Shestyerkin's doing. You're not fooling anyone.

Obviously the Rags would have benefited from keeping Buchnevich. Their 5th highest scoring forward is Barclay Goodrow with 25 pts in 66 games. That's awful.
We’re top of the league in fancy stats since the ASB. Even better when you look post-TDL. Goalies can’t win 40+ games alone. Rangers are up there in the tier below the Tampa/Panthers/Canes/Avs tier

The Shesty narrative was true for the first half of the year but at this point if you think he’s still carrying you’re not following NYR

Idk why everyone is always late on how NYR is doing. It took everyone months to get on the Fox train and even longer to realize he was actually good defensively. Even Shesty was doubted this season. People still think Panarin is our best forward. People still think Trouba is bad. People still haven’t really even realized Fox’s fall off this season

Now every Rangers fan is saying the same about how Shesty isn’t really even carrying the team anymore yet people still hold that narrative because they heard it 3 months ago. That will go away after we beat the Pens

And sure you can say that Goodrow is 5th in scoring, without even mentioning that two of the four players we added at the TDL, Copp and Vatrano are both PPG with us

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad