Confirmed Trade: [STL/NYR] Pavel Buchnevich for 2022 2nd round pick and Sammy Blais

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
After seeing the weak return for Reinhart and the blockbuster in VAN, the disappointment around Buch makes a lot more sense. The market for a W just wasn’t there and the main buyers had better (or more creative) options.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
After seeing the weak return for Reinhart and the blockbuster in VAN, the disappointment around Buch makes a lot more sense. The market for a W just wasn’t there and the main buyers had better (or more creative) options.
Should've kept him until the deadline or next off season if true. We could've afforded to keep him this year.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Should've kept him until the deadline or next off season if true. We could've afforded to keep him this year.

Yes, but we’d have to trade him at the deadline even as a team expected to fight for the POs (which is terrible for morale) or self rent him and get nothing. We’d also then be forced to give Kravstov or Kakko 3L minutes and less PP time.

Teams knew we had very little leverage and the market just didn’t seem to be there for a great return. So it was accept the price or deal w/ the potential consequences I outlined above.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Well, we were all right. The fans knew better. Drury screwed the pooch on this one. A trade that made no sense at the time and makes even less sense now.

I don’t mean to run salt in the wound, just simply commenting.

Buch is a fantastic player and has fit tremendously with this Blues team. He’s probably been our best two-way player this season. I’m really shocked that he was moved for the return he was. That’s not a knock against Blais either, but from what I’ve seen if we would’ve moved a first instead of a second in that deal i think we would’ve all been happy with how it played out.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
I don’t mean to run salt in the wound, just simply commenting.

Buch is a fantastic player and has fit tremendously with this Blues team. He’s probably been our best two-way player this season. I’m really shocked that he was moved for the return he was. That’s not a knock against Blais either, but from what I’ve seen if we would’ve moved a first instead of a second in that deal i think we would’ve all been happy with how it played out.

To look at it from a positive perspective: I'm glad the fanbase of another franchise acknowledges Buch's great two-way game. Treat him well.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think this is one of the weirdest trade of the past years. When it was done, I assumed Buchnevich was asking for two much money but his contract is really reasonable, so...
Panarin/kreider signed to big money, LaF/kakko coming up..... plus we needed a guy like Goodrow and Blais bad in the line up..
It looks worse because Subban ended Blais season after 14 games, krav threw a fit and left, and kakko/LaF are taking longer to produce offensively...from start to finish, rangers are committed to that at this point.
Sucks that we don’t have Blais going into the postseason, his game is Taylor made for the playoffs.
Love buch, and would have liked to sign him, but the writing was on the wall, our cap space was quickly evaporating.
And we weren’t going to trade him in the middle of a playoff run....
Blais +1st would have obviously been a better return...

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This trade happened to change the makeup of the team. NYR felt that Buchnevich was the type of player that puts up points in the regular season but isn't build for the playoffs. Blais and Goodrow, the guys they allocated that cap space to, fit their vision of the team better.

For better or worse, this is really why this trade happened. The Rangers were playing a run and gun style of hockey that doesn't win in the playoffs (or in the regular season, for that matter). Keep in mind this was undoubtedly also a result of the Wilson incident. Drury was brought in to change the DNA of the roster; Goodrow is a cup winner and proven playoff performer. That's what they wanted, and that's what they got. You can debate all day long whether or not they got enough for Buchnevich; I don't think they did personally. But it's also obvious that they really wanted Sammy Blais.

Trade looks way more lopsided than it should because Blais is out for the season. He really balances out the bottom 6.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Blais-Chytil-Gauthier
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

Instead, we're plugging away with Greg McKegg in the bottom 6 and to say that's not a massive downgrade is an understatement

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
This trade happened to change the makeup of the team. NYR felt that Buchnevich was the type of player that puts up points in the regular season but isn't build for the playoffs. Blais and Goodrow, the guys they allocated that cap space to, fit their vision of the team better.

For better or worse, this is really why this trade happened. The Rangers were playing a run and gun style of hockey that doesn't win in the playoffs (or in the regular season, for that matter). Keep in mind this was undoubtedly also a result of the Wilson incident. Drury was brought in to change the DNA of the roster; Goodrow is a cup winner and proven playoff performer. That's what they wanted, and that's what they got. You can debate all day long whether or not they got enough for Buchnevich; I don't think they did personally. But it's also obvious that they really wanted Sammy Blais.

Trade looks way more lopsided than it should because Blais is out for the season. He really balances out the bottom 6.

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Blais-Chytil-Gauthier
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

Instead, we're plugging away with Greg McKegg in the bottom 6 and to say that's not a massive downgrade is an understatement
We were a much better 5v5 team last season than this season, we can't produce offence to save our lives now. Buchnevich is also one of the best defensive forwards & penalty killers in the league. Buchnevich also has more snarl than either Blais or Goodrow. Shesterkin routinely gets run and nobody on our team does anything, we were way grittier last season than after we threw away talent for "grit". Look at that game against Washington, Buch went completely unhinged. He answered the most aggressively on anybody on the team and was out for blood. Buch is definitely a playoff player. You can add useless gritty plugs for nothing, there is zero justification for trading one of the best all around wingers in the league to do so.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
We were a much better 5v5 team last season than this season, we can't produce offence to save our lives now. Buchnevich is also one of the best defensive forwards & penalty killers in the league. Buchnevich also has more snarl than either Blais or Goodrow. Shesterkin routinely gets run and nobody on our team does anything, we were way grittier last season than after we threw away talent for "grit". Look at that game against Washington, Buch went completely unhinged. He answered the most aggressively on anybody on the team and was out for blood. Buch is definitely a playoff player. You can add useless gritty plugs for nothing, there is zero justification for trading one of the best all around wingers in the league to do so.

When Buch came into the league, he was Charmin soft. After being in the quinn bin several times, he made an effort to toughen up his game but everyone in the league knows he's all bark no bite. He's not scaring or deterring anyone from doing anything. I credit him for trying to play a harder game but that's just not who he is

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why did the Rangers give him away? If they lose a Game 7 this is the kind of thing you'd look back on with deep regret. 4 years at $5.8M per is not even a bad deal. Certainly they could have done other things to make the cap work.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Why did the Rangers give him away? If they lose a Game 7 this is the kind of thing you'd look back on with deep regret. 4 years at $5.8M per is not even a bad deal. Certainly they could have done other things to make the cap work.

Four reasons. Panarin, Kreider, Laf, Kakko. That is, in theory, your top two lines set on wing for several years.

Buch, who needed a new contract, was simply the odd man out. NYR werent about to trade Panarin, or one of their two top prospects. Buch's fate was sealed the moment Kreider signed his extension.

I do not regret trading Buch. I regret the return we got. Drury's mistake was market timing. he sold in a buyers market.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Four reasons. Panarin, Kreider, Laf, Kakko. That is, in theory, your top two lines set on wing for several years.

Buch, who needed a new contract, was simply the odd man out. NYR werent about to trade Panarin, or one of their two top prospects. Buch's fate was sealed the moment Kreider signed his extension.

I do not regret trading Buch. I regret the return we got. Drury's mistake was market timing. he sold in a buyers market.
the question is, would you rather have Buch or Kreider?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Rangers made their bed with Kreider. As soon as they added his extension on top of Panarin there was never going to be any room for Buchnevich. Buch is a great player but having him on the team prevents Kakko or Lafreniere from getting a spot in the top-six and their development is absolutely critical to the team's future.

Reactions: Nickmo82

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
good to hear. I know a lot of Rags fans last year were NOT happy with him

he's reinvented his game. It wasn't that we weren't happy, its that we were worried his game would deteriorate quickly. his game was 100% his speed, and if that failed, we would be in trouble.

However, his new playing style is MUCH more durable. He doesnt have to rely on beating players to the outside on break-ins anymore. He's exploiting the modern game and how soft the front of the net has become.

Reactions: GoBluz24

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Blais-Chytil-Gauthier
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

I mean do you really need both Hunt and Rooney in the lineup? They are depth guys at best, Blais would probably be best just sliding down to the 4th line to replace Hunt if you could get an upgrade on Blais for the 3rd line. That would make your team much better.

Anyways I love Buch, he's already one of my top 4 favorite players on the team. Guy is awesome at basically everything.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
the question is, would you rather have Buch or Kreider?
IMO Kreider would be elsewhere if the Rangers knew they were going to get Laf. Of course moving Kreider would have been second guessed as much of not more than Buch, especially if he was having a year like this. I think the difference is that the Rangers weren't getting a first for kreider and didn't have cap issues so they kept him. But with Buch, there really was no option 2 if they didn't get a first since there was just no room for him and didn't want to risk letting him walk for nothing. Fox winning the Norris and forcing earning a massive deal didn't help matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad