Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Jake Allen re-signs (4 years, $4.35M AAV)

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
great deal for the hometown boy! Congrats Jake. Hope he pans well for the Blues, great guy.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Huge discount. Great deal

How exactly is that a huge discount? Puts him smack dab in the middle of guys like Fredrick Andersen/Devan Dubnyk/Steve Mason. What has he done to distinguish himself to be better than those guys? He hasn't even been a undisputed #1 yet. This is about the value I was expecting for him. Not really a discount at all.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Really?love the Blues but I keep thinking it's quite an overpayment. Really hasn't accomplished much yet

What has Ells accomplished?

People forget how Allen put up amazing numbers the first half of the season last year that were at times better than Elliott's "amazing" second half. Not to mention the games the Blues lost last season with Allen as the starter in the playoffs the Blues scored 2 goals, 1 goal, 1 goal and 0 goals. I don't care who your goalie is but requiring shutouts to even have a chance at possibly moving on to the next round is not good.

Allen has great numbers and has had a pretty fantastic NHL career so far. People got so jacked for Ells I think because he was expected to be nothing and had a hot streak last season. Before last season he could never beat top teams and he was super inconsistent. Always played like a backup against lesser teams and won and lost games he sould have won.

I will never understand the love Ells got. He is a great person but it was time to move on. Allen is sharp and absolutely more athletic and technical.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

People forget how Allen put up amazing numbers the first half of the season last year that were at times better than Elliott's "amazing" second half. Not to mention the games the Blues lost last season with Allen as the starter in the playoffs the Blues scored 2 goals, 1 goal, 1 goal and 0 goals. I don't care who your goalie is but requiring shutouts to even have a chance at possibly moving on to the next round is not good.

Allen has great numbers and has had a pretty fantastic NHL career so far. People got so jacked for Ells I think because he was expected to be nothing and had a hot streak last season. Before last season he could never beat top teams and he was super inconsistent. Always played like a backup against lesser teams and won and lost games he sould have won.

I will never understand the love Ells got. He is a great person but it was time to move on. Allen is sharp and absolutely more athletic and technical.

Either way I'm happy Allen is locked up.. I think I just compare it to the steal of a deal ducks have gibson signed for

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016
Didn't Elliott request a trade?
I think this is a solid deal. Hopefully Allen can carry the load as a starter.

Sort of he more said I want to be the number one but the blues wanted to role with two goalies so the went with Allen I assume because he is younger.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

So sharp he gets beat shortside regularly?

What good is being athletic when he has such poor positioning? Put him under pressure and he'll flop around more than most NHL netminders.

Allen's being given red carpet treatment without earning it. Neither Blues goalie has earned the starting role, Blues are just willing to gamble with Allen because he's younger and may have higher potential in the long run. Contract's a gamble and he's not worth it yet, hopefully he lives up to it for the Blues' sake.

BretterThanYou

Sep 17, 2006
Collinsville IL
So sharp he gets beat shortside regularly?

What good is being athletic when he has such poor positioning? Put him under pressure and he'll flop around more than most NHL netminders.

Allen's being given red carpet treatment without earning it. Neither Blues goalie has earned the starting role, Blues are just willing to gamble with Allen because he's younger and may have higher potential in the long run. Contract's a gamble and he's not worth it yet, hopefully he lives up to it for the Blues' sake.

And Elliott is God, right? I seem to remember one of these goalies being sent down to Peoria because he couldn't get his crap together, the other one was Jake Allen.

Did Brian Elliott get us closer to the Cup? Yes, did he get us a Cup? No.

In a world where Ells and Allen are comparable in talent (and they are), I'll take Allen with the age, contract (which is indeed a nice contract), ability to move the puck, as well as potential over Elliott who, Blues fans seem to think is infallible in net. Ells was just as, if not MORE inconsistent than Allen has been throughout the latters duration as a netminder in a Bluenote. (And no, I don't hate Elliott, I just see the merits of trading him and think it was a good trade.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad