Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Jordan Kyrou signs extension with the Blues (8 years, $8.125M AAV)

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
I think people forget that Kyrou was the best offensive player for the Blues in the 1st half but got was out for around 2 weeks with a non-covid sickness right after all-star break. Lost a bunch of weight and never really got back to anything close to 100%.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I mean this just isnt true? Not arguing about Kyrou's contract but your example is false.

Tarasenko before signing 3 seasons (2 Full)
Age 23
GP 179 G66 A69 Points 135

Kyrou before signing 4 seasons (2 Full)
Age 24
GP 173 G46 A76 Points 122

Tarasenko was more productive at the time he signed his contract. They are comparable for sure but Tarasenko was still more productive and younger.
Can't say that Kyrou deserves less simply because Tarasenko produced more at younger when the salary cap landscape has changed in the 7 years since Tarasenko signed. Tarasenko signed for 10.5% of the salary cap, Kyrou for 9.85%.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Can't say that Kyrou deserves less simply because Tarasenko produced more at younger when the salary cap landscape has changed in the 7 years since Tarasenko signed. Tarasenko signed for 10.5% of the salary cap, Kyrou for 9.85%.

I am not arguing that. I am responding to a poster who said he is better than Tarasenko was when he signed. Thats not true. The comment had nothing to with the actually price tag which I think is fine TBH.

Reactions: playasRus

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So people hate when teams pay big money to UFAs for what they HAVE done in the past and are less likely to repeat over a 7 year deal but also hate when teams lock up core players for what they are GOING to do over the next 8 years through their primes?

I mean I feel like in general HFB just likes to complain about contracts no matter what. But I can tell you this much, of the two scenarios above I know which one is a lot more progressive thinking…hint, it’s the one the Kyrou deal falls under.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Good deal for both Kyrou and the Blues. Good summer for St. Louis

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Poor Bruins...Pastrnak is going to look at this deal and say, " Double it, and add 10%!"

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
This is the new way of doing things in the NHL. Avoid 9.5+ contracts and pay for youth. I like it personally.
StL also got a bridge and then signed the extension after he proved he was worth it rather than giving him a chance to up his price tag. It's the ideal scenario for them to be honest.

They get 12-13 years of service, with the first 5 years on the penny, and now his prime at worst at market price.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Would have been nice for the AAV to start in the low 7s but I am not going to even remotely be upset. I believe this takes him through his age 33 season. We have our top two young players signed through their primes, without having to suffer through their declines on the back ends of the contract.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I mean this just isnt true? Not arguing about Kyrou's contract but your example is false.

Tarasenko before signing 3 seasons (2 Full)
Age 23
GP 179 G66 A69 Points 135

Kyrou before signing 4 seasons (2 Full)
Age 24
GP 173 G46 A76 Points 122

Tarasenko was more productive at the time he signed his contract. They are comparable for sure but Tarasenko was still more productive and younger.
Tarasenko his first two full seasons
116 Points 141 games 67 point pace over 82 games

Kyrou his first two full seasons

110 Points in 129 games (less have due to covid, paced to have 120 points over the same 141 games) 70 point pace over 82 games

Both players are very offense first defensive liability players at the same points of their careers.

Tarasenko was turning 24 the same year he signed his contract and Kyrou just turned 24 a couple months ago. With about a seven month difference between their birthdays.

My main argument was that Tarasenko's 7.5x8 contract in 2015 is very comparable, if not even pretty streamline to Kyrou's 8.125x8 contract in 2022.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Seems like a little much to me but I like the player. Not bad.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
STL is getting their next core locked up. Kyrou and Thomas are young and productive 1st line players. Totally reasonable to keep them around for their prime seasons.

Reactions: Blueston

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Would have been nice for the AAV to start in the low 7s but I am not going to even remotely be upset. I believe this takes him through his age 33 season. We have our top two young players signed through their primes, without having to suffer through their declines on the back ends of the contract.
Unrealistic expectation. The only players that have signed 6+ years contracts in the last 3 years are: Reilly, Hischier, Keller, Spurgeon, Couturier, Hayes, Connor, Lee, Kadri, Nylander.

I'd take Kyrou at his cap over just about everyone of those players at their contracts except maybe Hischier and Connor. One's a 1OA that signed a bargain deal 3 years ago before breaking out and is just now coming into his own - half way into the contract. The other also signed 3 years ago.

You could make an argument for top pairing D in Reilley and Spurgeon, but those two will be paid into thei rmid 30s, so their prime would be over by the midpoint of their contracts, signed as full UFAs, while Kyrou will be signed through his prime.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
So people hate when teams pay big money to UFAs for what they HAVE done in the past and are less likely to repeat over a 7 year deal but also hate when teams lock up core players for what they are GOING to do over the next 8 years through their primes?

I mean I feel like in general HFB just likes to complain about contracts no matter what. But I can tell you this much, of the two scenarios above I know which one is a lot more progressive thinking…hint, it’s the one the Kyrou deal falls under.

I don’t think anyones criticized locking him up long term. The question is whether it’s the best timing for the deal when he only has one year of playing at this level and still has a year left on his contract to further prove himself. It’s a risk/reward question, because I’m not sure having a similar season this year should make him more expensive, but it would make the team more confident in his ability to earn the money going forward.

And questioning the timing doesn’t mean they hate the deal. The reality is, there’s a wide spectrum from steal of a deal to an albatross contract and rarely is anything black and white. Someone can both believe the contract will likely be fine, but also not think it was the best timing.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Congrats to STL locking up their youth. It might seem slightly high, except it buys the core years including a few UFAs. He outperformed his draft position, not sure if there is more upside, yet, if he remains at this level it’s still a good deal.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Good signing and good cap management by the Blues (3 yr ELC + 2 yr Bridge + 8 yr Long Term). I expect Kyrou will have another great year in 2022-23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad