Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Colton Parayko signs extension with the Blues (8 years, $6.5M AAV)

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
So the goal is just 1 Stanley Cup?

Depends on the player. The goal of playing in the NHL is to win the Cup but for many players, including ones who’ve already got a Cup, the goal is to get paid as much as you can before you retire. For most it’s the only time in their life where they’ll make that kind of money.

Same goes with an organization. God knows what Buffalo’s trying to do…

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
This is either one of the worst contracts in the league or the best contract in the league with no in-between. Depends entirely on if Parayko can return to form and fitness.

Reactions: thedustman

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not sure how Parayko only gets 6.5M x 8YRs when Nurse and Jones get over 9M x 8YRs.

Great deal for the Blues.

Jones and Nurse are 26, and their deals finish when they're at 35
Parayko is 28, and his deal will finish when he's 37.

It's those 2 extra garbage years at the end that bring the AAV down.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Leafs say thank you to the Blues for this.

If you guys won't actually trade him to us :)(), then this is the next best thing.......

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Pretty good deal, but it's a shame people are throwing shade at Nurse (and Jones) to justify the deal as being a 'steal'.
Okay, lets do a comparison then (of last season); real statistics instead of a contract AAV.

Paryko is 28, Nurse is 26 (both birthday's next year)

Parayko has never banked more than 10 goals in a season, and had a career low last season with only 2 goals (on pace for 5 in an 82 season)
Nurse led the league last season in defenseman even strength goals with 15 goals (2nd overall with 16). Impressive considering he's not the primary quarterback of the #1 powerplay, only gets slotted in from time to time.

Paryako ranked 70th amongst defenseman in TOI at 21:20
Nurse ranked 4th amongst defenseman in TOI at 25:38

This stat is debatable, and can either be perceived as a detriment to the team, or an asset: Penalty Minutes
Parayko had 14 PIM, he's a clean player, that operates within the rules and doesn't give the other team powerplays very often. But someone posted his advanced stats for last season, and revealed he was an easy defender to gain chances on
Nurse ranked 4th in the league with 57 PIM. He plays with bite, purpose, with the mentality he's going to bend/break the rules in order to protect his own end. And although paired with Tyson Barrie most of the season, that pair wasn't easy to score on during the course of the season

Parayko's shot percentage was 3.3 % (120th amongst dmen with at least 30 games)
Nurse shot percentage was 10.4 % (6th amongst dmen with at least 30 games)

Nurse also towered Parayko in the +/- stat, but imo, that's stat is usually a direct result of the team's success. And although Edmonton finished only 9 points ahead of St.Louis, it's not a fair comparison unless the teams are evenly matched

Finally, Nurse finished in 7th for Norris trophy voting. The people who study this game, analyze it on a daily basis for a living, recognized that Darnell Nurse was Edmonton's best dman last season and one of the best in the NHL. I don't see him declining anytime soon. But I also see Parayko rebounding this season, but imo, not to the level/ceiling of Darnell Nurse

But in saying all this, I am a fan of Parayko, wanted him on my team like everyone else, but imo, Darnell Nurse is a better blue-liner that's on the incline. Not sure if Parayko is declining, or maybe as a product of the current team, or maybe just an off year in a year filled with adversity.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Please don't lump Nurse in with Jones. The shitting on Jones is getting ridiculous. Jones is very clearly better than both and Parayko is better than Nurse.

Nurse was better than Jones last year and they’re very close in terms of talent

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Fantastic signing for St. Louis. Parayko should probably fire his agent.
Maybe Parayko liked St. Louis...Maybe Parayko knew that his team could fill positions of need if they weren't overpaying him...Maybe his agent told him that he could get more money in another city, but he looked at the tax situation and realized it was a wash, or even a loss. Either way, guys that sign contracts like this when they "could have gotten more" are what hockey should be about in a cap driven day and age. Maybe that is why St. Louis has been so competitive year after year.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Pretty good deal, but it's a shame people are throwing shade at Nurse (and Jones) to justify the deal as being a 'steal'.
Okay, lets do a comparison then (of last season); real statistics instead of a contract AAV.

Parayko has never banked more than 10 goals in a season, and had a career low last season with only 2 goals (on pace for 5 in an 82 season)
Nurse led the league last season in defenseman even strength goals with 15 goals (2nd overall with 16). Impressive considering he's not the primary quarterback of the #1 powerplay, only gets slotted in from time to time.

This stat is debatable, and can either be perceived as a detriment to the team, or an asset: Penalty Minutes
Parayko had 14 PIM, he's a clean player, that operates within the rules and doesn't give the other team powerplays very often. But someone posted his advanced stats for last season, and revealed he was an easy defender to gain chances on
Nurse ranked 4th in the league with 57 PIM. He plays with bite, purpose, with the mentality he's going to bend/break the rules in order to protect his own end. And although paired with Tyson Barrie most of the season, that pair wasn't easy to score on during the course of the season

Nurse also towered Parayko in the +/- stat, but imo, that's stat is usually a direct result of the team's success. And although Edmonton finished only 9 points ahead of St.Louis, it's not a fair comparison unless the teams are evenly matched

Finally, Nurse finished in 7th for Norris trophy voting. The people who study this game, analyze it on a daily basis for a living, recognized that Darnell Nurse was Edmonton's best dman last season and one of the best in the NHL. I don't see him declining anytime soon. But I also see Parayko rebounding this season, but imo, not to the level/ceiling of Darnell Nurse

But in saying all this, I am a fan of Parayko, wanted him on my team like everyone else, but imo, Darnell Nurse is a better blue-liner that's on the incline. Not sure if Parayko is declining, or maybe as a product of the current team, or maybe just an off year in a year filled with adversity.

Almost everything you wrote was offensive stats and last year was a clear down year for Parayko.

How about this one for you, Parayko was tasked to face the best opposing lines in every round of the 2019 playoffs and shut down them all. Parayko is clearly better than Nurse defensively and it's not really close. I would take Parayko easily over Nurse.

I do like Nurse as a physical dman though and any team would be lucky to have him. Certainly not at 9 mil though.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Hey dumb dumb, Parayko was dealing with a back injury all last season.

If you’re happy paying Nurse $9M based on his play last year, that’s your business. If you’re going to compare Nurse and Parayko’s value based solely on last year, it’s going to be disingenuous at best.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

nurse has a better shot than parakyo. otherwise it's all parakyo if we're gonna stat watch. the contracts are being compared for a reason, not only to throw some shade. one is a much better deal currently and it may stay that way.

upload_2021-9-2_13-43-14.png

Reactions: TruBlu

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
is Nurse really the player he showed last year? or is that an outlier? it's a pretty significant difference in his other years outside 18-19

so 2 good years and 4 'ok' ones

doesn't scream 9m to me.. ymmv

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013

Nurse has never scored a playoff goal.
Parayko has 8.

Is this post serious with that read on shooting percentage?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Offense gets paid and those guys log a lot more minutes. Doesn't mean they're not overpaid though.

Regardless, this is a great signing for St. Louis, the AAV in particular. Term could be a bit scary but whatever.

The offense you're suggesting is close enough in a typical year that it doesn't account for 3 mill+ more per year. The only one that offense is that much more would be Werenski.

He should fire his agent because he took a deal to open up more cap space on his team? Maybe Marner, Matthews, and Tavares should take notes.

Reminds me of Cheech in "Once upon a time in Mexico" when Depp says that he would have paid 50k, why did you only take 10k? Cheech says that you might as well kill me over 50k but 10k, that's something we can both live with.

First off, big Colt 55 fan. I love the aav obviously, but not the 8 years. I'm very concerned about his ability to stay healthy going forward, while remaining productive. His play relies heavily on shutting opponents down, as his offensive game as never fully developed, and probably won't at this point. This contract could be bad quick. Hope I'm wrong and he ages gracefully!

Also, to Blues fans saying he's top 15 in league when healthy...
C'mon, just stop it. He never has and never will be, and I love me some Colt55.

His offensive game has never developed because he's not a PP guy. All the people you compare him to offensively gets major PP time. We always had Pietrangelo and now we have Krug.

Does Toronto even realize you can sign long term deals for less than 8mm?

They don't even sign long term lol. Those are 5 year deals so their stars can get the hell out of town as soon as they hit UFA.

If Parayko signed for what many here believe is below market value, it seems like he does not think his back looks good.

Not everyone is out to break the bank.

Please don't lump Nurse in with Jones. The shitting on Jones is getting ridiculous. Jones is very clearly better than both and Parayko is better than Nurse.

I would have loved Jones on the left side with Parayko on the right but when it comes down to it, I haven't seen Jones shut down the most dominant line in hockey to win a cup.

You're literally taking an outlier season for both players and using that as a basis for one being paid 3m more AAV than the other.

nurse has a better shot than parakyo. otherwise it's all parakyo if we're gonna stat watch. the contracts are being compared for a reason, not only to throw some shade. one is a much better deal currently and it may stay that way.

View attachment 463424

Man those stat comparisons are pretty nice.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

View attachment 463424
Well that doesn’t help paint the one years sample
size picture.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

Nurse is better offensively. Paratko is way better defensively. And yeah, if you compare nurse's career outlier year vs paraykos injury plagued year, then yeah, nurse looks better

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
8 year deal for a 28 yr old RHD 230 lbs Stanley Cup seems very good to start and finishes ok so good deal for the Blues.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
The player is happy with the deal.
The team is happy with the deal.
The team's fans seem happy with the deal.
Sounds like a good deal all around to me.
Glad he'll likely be retiring a Blue, I became a big fan during that cup run.
Congrats all around.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Not a fan of the max term contracts myself but Parayko at 6.5 for 8 is a nice one.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Maybe Parayko liked St. Louis...Maybe Parayko knew that his team could fill positions of need if they weren't overpaying him...Maybe his agent told him that he could get more money in another city, but he looked at the tax situation and realized it was a wash, or even a loss. Either way, guys that sign contracts like this when they "could have gotten more" are what hockey should be about in a cap driven day and age. Maybe that is why St. Louis has been so competitive year after year.

Sure, that is a very positive way to look at things. If everyone is happy with the contract all the more power to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad