[STL] Chiarelli - VP hockey Ops & Hitchcock - coaching consultant

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Haven't seen it posted yet, but Chiarelli seems like a Yikes...guess we could see this coming based on him being brought in, in the first place.

But Hitch.. What is a coaching advisor? Does he sit in the booth and relay down when they should challenge? Never heard of this in hockey.

Hitch at other Olympics was given the task of " scouting opponents, find and report their weak points. Head coach puts in game plans aimed at exploiting those weaknesses.
Scott Bowman advised teams after retiring.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Hitch at other Olympics was given the task of " scouting opponents, find and report their weak points. Head coach puts in game plans aimed at exploiting those weaknesses.
Scott Bowman advised teams after retiring.

Makes sense for teams to try and do that to a degree but I'd think they already get that from some game film and video coaches, without needing an expensive salary devoted to it.

Hockey isn't as tactical as football, where you need to read defenses and make decisions about which personal package to run out on the field.

Seems like overkill to me, but what do I know.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Makes sense for teams to try and do that to a degree but I'd think they already get that from some game film and video coaches, without needing an expensive salary devoted to it.

Hockey isn't as tactical as football, where you need to read defenses and make decisions about which personal package to run out on the field.

Seems like overkill to me, but what do I know.
Agreed.
No one exemplifies your point more than the Maple Laffs. Bigger front office than the White House.

Reactions: North Cole

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But Hitch.. What is a coaching advisor? Does he sit in the booth and relay down when they should challenge? Never heard of this in hockey.

My guess is it'll be about helping Berube with systems, strategy, team scouting and adjustments, but without the day to day responsibilities or player involvement of an actual assistant coach. I think Hitch still wants to contribute but isn't up for the full grind. I know a lot of that can be done by video guys or whatever, but I doubt they have the same mind for the game Hitchcock does. Nothing wrong with some advice from a big names, but I suppose the worry would be too many cooks.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I get that management is an old boys club but Chia is pushing it even for that.

I wouldn’t trust chia you walk my dog, the guy would show up a hour later saying he traded her for some magic beans
Chia would trade actual magic beans for some twice baked beans. He might even throw in a 2nd as a sweetener.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Only a legend can lose 2 1 for 1 trades that involve the same player

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
My guess is it'll be about helping Berube with systems, strategy, team scouting and adjustments, but without the day to day responsibilities or player involvement of an actual assistant coach. I think Hitch still wants to contribute but isn't up for the full grind. I know a lot of that can be done by video guys or whatever, but I doubt they have the same mind for the game Hitchcock does. Nothing wrong with some advice from a big names, but I suppose the worry would be too many cooks.

Thats fair, I suppose Berube is still somewhat new. I guess coaches don't cost anything against the cap, so if you have money to burn and it works, who am I to dispute it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Chiarelli since hiding away has woken up from his slumber and is now hungry!

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
This thread is made for Gifs.

I’ll start with Ryan Reynolds “but why?”

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Seriously there are a few guys on these boards that could provide better insight.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Chia has already been with the blues for a few years now. I doubt anything major changes. Armstrong is still the one in charge.

Reactions: Tvillewr419

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Doug Armstrong has the responsibility of putting Team Canada together this season so he may need some extra support. Chia’s been around the organization for a couple years now. As long as DA has final say, I’m not too worried about the arrangement. That said, when DA eventually leaves I hope he takes Chia with him.
I can see the conversation now:

Chia: "I have this great trade worked out -- Tarasenko and a 1st round pick for Evander Kane. Just need your rubber stamp."
Armstrong: "Um, no." Click.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad