Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Blues extend Brayden Schenn (8 years, $6.5M AAV)

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
He might get a bridge, I wouldn't say he's at a point where he gets big money. Bouwmeester will be out, and then you have Bozak, Steen, Allen that can be traded or bought out. It won't be too difficult to fit Petro in.

Oh, I mean you make it sound super easy. I still have concerns. Bouw is a cheap LD who is getting near-top pairing minutes we have to replace. Steen's contract would suck to buy out, but we essentially have to now. And that's if Petro's ask is reasonable, and Binny's bridge is up the year after.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The takeaways on the term and AAV are clear, but it'll be interesting to see how St. Louis manages the cap next year. They don't have a ton of flexibility to re-sign Pietrangelo and Dunn and fill out the rest of the roster. Curious to see how they make it work (let Pietrangelo walk, find a way to dump Allen, etc.)
We have some young guys that are ready to come up for next year. Kyrou and Kostin have strong chances of being up on the roster. Mikkola is someone that could be on defense.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
This could mean that Petro is asking for more than we can afford and we are solidifying everything around him.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
In 4 years this may look bad...but by then a 40-point, 30-something forward may be worth $6.5M.

It's a nice price-tag for 60-point center in today's NHL. Cost of doing business, and the Blues will manage that contract if/when the time comes to do so.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In 4 years this may look bad...by by then a 40-point, 30-something forward may be worth $6.5M.

It's a nice price-tag for 60-point center in today's NHL. Cost of doing business, and the Blues will manage that contract if/when the time comes to do so.
Right, I just view it as pre-signing a Bozak type deal. If Schenn's last few years are like Bozak now, it won't be the end of the world.

Reactions: 67Blues

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I'm just saying Army has options, and he's earned my trust. If Petro wants to come back, there are paths to make it work.

I trust Army completely, but great GMs have lost plenty of good players just because the numbers didn't work. We're looking at a situation like that whether he pulls it off at the 11th hour or not. It's a very serious possibility.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I trust Army completely, but great GMs have lost plenty of good players just because the numbers didn't work. We're looking at a situation like that whether he pulls it off at the 11th hour or not. It's a very serious possibility.
I'll worry more a few months down the road. I definitely understand your POV though.

Reactions: sfvega

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Seems out of nowhere but pretty good contract for STL, only problem is that the captain might be hard to retain
Blues have a really good culture...no super-stars, lots of veteran leaders of 'star'-quality though. Good thing about 'stars' is that they're way more affordable than super-stars. Pietrangelo's extension should be a hair under $9M/year and all will be right in the world.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Anyone who thinks this is a bad or questionable deal, just look at the Kevin Hayes deal.

Sounds like you think it's a questionable deal considering you are using another questionable deal to soften the impact.

One doesn't really have to do with the other. I think the AAV is something everyone can see as fair at worst and the term is questionable at best.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sounds like you think it's a questionable deal considering you are using another questionable deal to soften the impact.

One doesn't really have to do with the other. I think the AAV is something everyone can see as fair at worst and the term is questionable at best.
Or look at Duchene. You just aren't able to sign a guy like Schenn to what we signed him to on the free agent market. It's not an amazing deal, but it's better than the market. On the market, you have to overpay in both term and money.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Well there goes many teams hope they might be able to get a good center next UFA period

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Or look at Duchene. You just aren't able to sign a guy like Schenn to what we signed him to on the free agent market. It's not an amazing deal, but it's better than the market. On the market, you have to overpay in both term and money.

I get it. If you want to sign/re-sign UFA's, you've got to make a heavy offer.

It's also worth mentioning that UFA/impending UFA deals do turn bad pretty frequently due to the nature of that market. 8 years is scary, period. We shall see.

Reactions: Pia8988

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad