Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Blues extend Brayden Schenn (8 years, $6.5M AAV)

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I don’t like this contract but understand why it was given. You get a great player at a great price and keep a Stanley cup winning team together, but the contract could stink in 2 years and you’re stuck with the tail end of it.

I almost wish the Stanley cup winner got to exceed the cap amount the following year but only to allow them to try to keep a winning team together.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Anyone who thinks this is a bad or questionable deal, just look at the Kevin Hayes deal.
Kevin Hayes deal is a ridiculous outlier. Should not serve as any sort of gauge for valuing anyone else’s contract.

A guy standing in 12” of water in his basement can’t say “yeah this is bad. Gonna cost a lot, sentimental items trashed..... but Dave down the street has 14 inches in his basement. I feel better.”

Bottom line is as a lot of Blues fans have said this is good value but too long. Strike while window is open and worry about falloff later.

Hayes doesn’t make this, or any other deal in League look better than it is or isn’t.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kevin Hayes deal is a ridiculous outlier. Should not serve as any sort of gauge for valuing anyone else’s contract.

A guy standing in 12” of water in his basement can’t say “yeah this is bad. Gonna cost a lot, sentimental items trashed..... but Dave down the street has 14 inches in his basement. I feel better.”

Bottom line is as a lot of Blues fans have said this is good value but too long. Strike while window is open and worry about falloff later.

Hayes doesn’t make this, or any other deal in League look better than it is or isn’t.
The point is, look at almost any free agent deal. While we gave more term to keep the cap hit down, this really isn't far off from what he'd get on the open market. Maybe you could keep the term to 5-6 years, but the cap number would be 7.5ish.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Evander Kane 27 years old coming off a 54 point season(78 games), signs for 7x7, 9.33% of cap
Kevin Hayes 27 year old coming off a 54 point season(71 games), signs for 7x7.142857, 8.98% of cap

Outlier?

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The point is, look at almost any free agent deal. While we gave more term to keep the cap hit down, this really isn't far off from what he'd get on the open market. Maybe you could keep the term to 5-6 years, but the cap number would be 7.5ish.
Agree. Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s a good/smart deal for Blues. I get the logic.
I was simply balking someone using at the Hayes deal as any kind of measurement — for ANY NHL deal. Maybe I’ll be wrong but Hayes deal, to me, lacks logic, sense, and basic grasp of economics.

Think the Blues are wise to lock up Schenn — even if outer years don’t work out perfectly.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Evander Kane 27 years old coming off a 54 point season(78 games), signs for 7x7, 9.33% of cap
Kevin Hayes 27 year old coming off a 54 point season(71 games), signs for 7x7.142857, 8.98% of cap

Outlier?
Maybe outlier was wrong in terms of figures you lay out. I think Kane has higher upside and brings the nasty component Sharks looking for.

I’m just saying by the eye test, that I think Hayes deal is awful. Really bad and likely to turn out poorly.

Who knows though. I might be wrong and won’t have any problems saying so if that’s the case. Won’t be first time I’ve been wrong and I’m sure not the last either.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe outlier was wrong in terms of figures you lay out. I think Kane has higher upside and brings the nasty component Sharks looking for.

I’m just saying by the eye test, that I think Hayes deal is awful. Really bad and likely to turn out poorly.

Who knows though. I might be wrong and won’t have any problems saying so if that’s the case. Won’t be first time I’ve been wrong and I’m sure not the last either.
And Hayes bring 2 way play and very good PKing that the Flyers were looking for. And the Flyers did overpay to get the guy they wanted....such is life shopping in the UFA market for "free" assets.

Anyways...back to Schenn. It was a necessary signing that most teams would have made without issue in the same situation.

Reactions: Blueston

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And Hayes bring 2 way play and very good PKing that the Flyers were looking for. And the Flyers did overpay to get the guy they wanted....such is life shopping in the UFA market for "free" assets.

Anyways...back to Schenn. It was a necessary signing that most teams would have made without issue in the same situation.
Agreed.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I was hoping for 6 yrs 48 mill. 8 yrs sounds a lot worse, but it’s basically the same total money I thought he’d get. And 2 free years at the end as a bonus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->