Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Alex Steen signs extension with Blues (4 years, $5.75M AAV)

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
While we're in a Steen thread, can anybody explain how Steen went from a 45-50 pts winger to a 60+ one out of nowhere? Did the Blues just give him a bigger role after Stewart turned to ****?

He was great for the Blues well before Stewart. He was just a good player that didn't work in Toronto.

This is a solid deal. Not a steal, not terrible. 1 year too long probably. Money is right. He's very underrated.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Seems pretty cheap for what he brings. Good deal for the Blues if he stays healthy.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks this is too much money for a guy who, while still really good, is already showing signs of decline? Possession has been trending in the wrong direction last couple of seasons...
Yes. Steen has been a stud for the Blues. Outside of injury concerns, he's worth every penny.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That seems fair based on what guys like Eriksson and Okposo got, I'd imagine guys like Oshie and Marchand will be looking at around this.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Kind of surprised people are calling this a steel. Good player no doubt but 4 years at 5.7 for a 32 year old with past injuries seems like a lot. Pair in the no trade clause i dont really see how this is a steel

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Kind of surprised people are calling this a steel. Good player no doubt but 4 years at 5.7 for a 32 year old with past injuries seems like a lot. Pair in the no trade clause i dont really see how this is a steel

No one has called it a steel.

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Am I the only one who thinks this is too much money for a guy who, while still really good, is already showing signs of decline? Possession has been trending in the wrong direction last couple of seasons...

Yes. That's the going rate for a pending stud UFA. He wasn't so much a stud in Toronto but he's been a stud for St. Louis. The Blues decided to pay him so he didn't become a stud for another franchise.

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio

Steel as in iron clad contract?

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Very happy with the deal, great player and we couldn't allow him to walk after Backes and Brouwer did

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
why did toronto trade this guy?

Idiots at the helm at the time.

----

Good deal for Steen, and the cheap last year means if he regresses, he still might be valuable for a cap floor team with a budget.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Nobody called it a "steel" or implied it was a "steal". It's a good deal. If he would've hit the open market after this coming season and put up 60 points for the 4th consecutive year, you don't think he would've gotten more than 5.75M? He would've easily been in the 6s. If Backes can get a 6M deal, Steen should get that and more as he's a better player.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
As a pending UFA there was.

I suppose, but both the Blues FO and Steen have been very transparent about their desire to get a deal worked out. You could argue that it was just posturing or to keep the fan base at bay, but it all seemed very genuine. There was nothing that suggested that this was going to be a struggle to get him signed, so it would make sense for the Blues to plan to protect him even prior to having the contract signed. Having the signature on the contract doesn't change their plans regarding their protection plans for the LV expansion draft.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Very smart of the Blues to keep this guy around for those extra 4 years; he's very smart and skilled player. I think it's a good deal for both sides.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a bit of risk here for the Blues as he will be 33 when his extension kicks in but the guys still a really good all around player so if he continues to age well the deal will look good for both parties.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks sign UFA Loui Eriksson to a 6-year, $6m deal until he is 37: "BENNING IDIOT GM!"

Blues extend hometown Steen to 4 year, $5.75m extension until he is 37: "Steal! Great player! Omg!"

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Canucks sign UFA Loui Eriksson to a 6-year, $6m deal until he is 37: "BENNING IDIOT GM!"

Blues extend hometown Steen to 4 year, $5.75m extension until he is 37: "Steal! Great player! Omg!"

The problem with the Loui deal is that it doesn't fit their rebuild they should be doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad