Speculation: Still Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Can cash still be apart of trades? This would probably violate some CBA bylaw, but would we be able to sign Kovy to a one to two year contract, AAV around 6 to 7 M, then retain half of the salary in a deal with a contender who is cap strapped? On top of what they give us in prospects/players/picks, could they add the 3 to 7 million in cash that we are retaining? I'd imagine you couldn't as we would probably see it occur in retained deals. Otherwise, hopefully it's a cap friendly, one year deal, that we can completely move. I'd imagine we wouldn't want to retain, unless we're getting that much more back in a trade, or he at least plays half a season here.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Can cash still be apart of trades? This would probably violate some CBA bylaw, but would we be able to sign Kovy to a one to two year contract, AAV around 6 to 7 M, then retain half of the salary in a deal with a contender who is cap strapped? On top of what they give us in prospects/players/picks, could they add the 3 to 7 million in cash that we are retaining? I'd imagine you couldn't as we would probably see it occur in retained deals. Otherwise, hopefully it's a cap friendly, one year deal, that we can completely move. I'd imagine we wouldn't want to retain, unless we're getting that much more back in a trade, or he at least plays half a season here.
We could keep salary, yes.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012

I know we can retain. I was just asking if cash can still be involved in trades, because as a trade off, I ask teams to pay cash for the retained salary if he will not even be playing a game here.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
From what I understand we aren't negotiating a contract at all...so his agent is pounding the pavement trying to workout a contract with a team.

I'm sure the Rangers, if interested, would make his agent an offer.

Maybe Shero laughs at it, maybe he plays ball.

In this one instance, I'd honestly would play ball.

I couldn't care less if Kovy wants to play for the Rags. I want the best possible package, regardless of the team.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I know we can retain. I was just asking if cash can still be involved in trades, because as a trade off, I ask teams to pay cash for the retained salary if he will not even be playing a game here.

This is not legal.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
yeah i'm not into trading kovy or anyone else to the rangers. or flyers. anyone else, sure.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
participated in the rangers thread about kovy. seems they also understand he's def not trash. my question is, and someone asked, would you give him to them in exchange for hayes? any adds?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
participated in the rangers thread about kovy. seems they also understand he's def not trash. my question is, and someone asked, would you give him to them in exchange for hayes? any adds?
If we're trading Kovalchuk to the Rangers, it's for a fleecing. I mean a royal tear the hide off their back and drive away cackling fleecing.

Hayes is not even in the realm of the acceptable.

I don't care about fair. This isn't about fair. This is about the Rangers paying through the nose.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I would be a little uncertain if the NHL would permit NJ to retain salary on a sign and trade of Kovy.

Generally the NHL has frowned on teams signing a UFA and immediately trading them with retained salary. We have yet to see a team even try to do so.

Kovy is essentially a UFA, with the wrinkle of NJ holding certain rights to him due from the Voluntary Retirement clauses. Would the NHL permit retained salary in this unique situation? I don't know.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I feel like we don't have quite the amount of leverage people here think we have. We DO, however, have the leverage to make sure he doesn't sign with a team in our division, unless he waits out another year.

If it was to the Rags, I'd definitely want to make sure it makes them worse, not better.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Skjei and TJ Miller/Buchnevich

anything less, I am not interested.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I feel like we don't have quite the amount of leverage people here think we have. We DO, however, have the leverage to make sure he doesn't sign with a team in our division, unless he waits out another year.

If it was to the Rags, I'd definitely want to make sure it makes them worse, not better.

Our leverage exists if and only if Shero flat out tells Kovy that he is absolutely willing to just walk away from the situation this year if Kovy tries to hardball them and narrow the destination down to one specific team with a minimal return. This is precisely why you don't just take whatever the best offer is in a worst case scenario (4th round picks have been discussed on here).

Wait him out and maybe he signs a one year deal in the KHL with an out clause. Then we in the end, trade him near the trade deadline or just walk away from him and let a team sign him to a 35+ contract next year without seeing him play against NHL competition in 5 years.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wait him out and maybe he signs a one year deal in the KHL with an out clause. Then we in the end, trade him near the trade deadline or just walk away from him and let a team sign him to a 35+ contract next year without seeing him play against NHL competition in 5 years.

Even if he were to sign a one year KHL deal with an out clause he'd still have to go through European re-entry waivers after playing a single KHL game next season. That would almost certainly preclude a mid season or TDL deal.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
I've been a Kovy apologist over the past few years but if he ever wore a Rangers sweater in his career I would be furious.

During one of the STH Q&A events when Shero first came here to New Jersey he was asked if he would ever make a trade with the Rangers and he had a clear response that he would have no problem making a deal with them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Even if he were to sign a one year KHL deal with an out clause he'd still have to go through European re-entry waivers after playing a single KHL game next season. That would almost certainly preclude a mid season or TDL deal.

No, I believe that if he waits until he is 35 and comes back, he is a true UFA.

Maybe I am wrong.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've been a Kovy apologist over the past few years but if he ever wore a Rangers sweater in his career I would be furious.

During one of the STH Q&A events when Shero first came here to New Jersey he was asked if he would ever make a trade with the Rangers and he had a clear response that he would have no problem making a deal with them.

Honestly I don't get why that question was ever asked or why anyone even cares whether we make a deal with the Rangers or not? There's 30 other teams in the NHL. Well 29 if you consider the Flyers also on the code red list. Even something benign like trading up or back in the draft could be problematic if the player traded up for winds up being a stud. And people act like Lou was the only one who never dealt with his rivals - look at Vancouver taking less for Cory because it was so problematic to deal him to Edmonton or Calgary?

Personally I'd rather not throw them a win-now trade unless it's such a massive overpayment you could never argue the deal.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No, I believe that if he waits until he is 35 and comes back, he is a true UFA.

Maybe I am wrong.

mouser was responding to the person's suggestion that the Devils could trade Kovalchuk's rights mid-season even though he was playing in the KHL. That's a highly implausible scenario for the reason he noted (and, I believe since Kovalchuk is still retired in the NHL in this scenario, it is also impossible)

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Good information, thank you.

All in all, my original information stands minus him signing a one year with the KHL. Shero has to play hard ball and I assume he will.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Which I'm perfectly fine with. If the Rangers offer the best return for Kovy, Shero would be foolish to turn it down just because it's the Rangers.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The thing about Kovalchuk to NY is that he is literally the last thing they need. They don't need more scoring forwards. They need to upgrade their defense. If Shero were to deal Kovalchuk to NYR, I'd hope he got an unconditional 1st in next year's draft and a conditional first in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad